• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much would a coverless but otherwise “complete” Action #1 go for?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, zen514 said:

75k to 100k  imho  Full front 125k 150k

Coverless 120-135k

I was thinking 75-100 for 2/3 copy but it wud end up at the higher end I think when all was said and done.  I’d love to have it as I know wud you :) 

17 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I was thinking 75-100 for 2/3 copy but it wud end up at the higher end I think when all was said and done.  I’d love to have it as I know wud you :) 

Yup. If 2-3 or more up bidding it up

The page 5 splash is a 30k page in auction  so not hard to imagine the Front cover at multiples

Same here! We have similar tastes ;)

10 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Wait. It’s 2/3rds of the front cover with no back cover. You must be pricing a full front and back cover, right?

So, you'd need 4 or 5 Action 1 covers front and back to buy a poor and altered example of the 1909 Honus Wagner card*, but one Action 1 cover would get you a gem mint 1990s Pokemon trainer card with a few K left over.

*and that card is really really valuable because of course everybody idolizes Honus Wagner, OR ... because completists had a hard time finding one a hundred years back when every collector was a completist, and that perception of its value has somehow continued and snowballed more than a hundred years even though nobody is a completist anymore and almost nobody today knows or cares who the f Honus Wagner was.

Edited by bluechip

On 10/25/2020 at 4:54 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

It has been some time since we’ve seen any public sales of Action #1 in any grade. How much would a coverless but otherwise complete copy go for with strong PQ (OW or better), firmly attached at the staples, in a blue Universal CGC holder?

One was auctioned off on ebay with no reserve a year or so ago.  I think it sold for 86K  or so.  I believe it was  @Topcollectibles88 that sold it.  I thought it would Hit 100K  and that would be my guess now, if one was to come to auction.

43 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

One was auctioned off on ebay with no reserve a year or so ago.  I think it sold for 86K  or so.  I believe it was  @Topcollectibles88 that sold it.  I thought it would Hit 100K  and that would be my guess now, if one was to come to auction.

It sold for $82K. I thought it would break $100K.

If the buyer already had a complete cover to marry, then I think a coverless copy could certainly go $100k-$125k. Otherwise, the best coverless copy is probably south of 100 and the worst (but complete) coverless copy maybe in the 60-80 range. 

3 hours ago, bluechip said:

So, you'd need 4 or 5 Action 1 covers front and back to buy a poor and altered example of the 1909 Honus Wagner card*, but one Action 1 cover would get you a gem mint 1990s Pokemon trainer card with a few K left over.

*and that card is really really valuable because of course everybody idolizes Honus Wagner, OR ... because completists had a hard time finding one a hundred years back when every collector was a completist, and that perception of its value has somehow continued and snowballed more than a hundred years even though nobody is a completist anymore and almost nobody today knows or cares who the f Honus Wagner was.

That, and everybody knows that the Honus Wagner card is the most valuable baseball card.  It has value from its own fame at this point.  Which is arguably utterly ridiculous... but it's a very real factor in why the card is still famous and valuable.

Or, if you collect old paperbacks:  Ace D-15 is not the rarest paperback by a long shot and if you compare sales it probably wouldn't be the most expensive.  But it is, hands down, the most famously rare and valuable paperback; and pretty much every paperback collector wants a copy because of that.  The rarer and more expensive books are not as universally wanted by the collectors.

Collectors are weird... and I say that as a collector.  Some items collectors want because collectors have always wanted them.  Comics are actually a bit more sane than some hobbies; as you suggest Action #1 has far better reasons to be the top item in the hobby than what some hobbies elevate.

17 hours ago, Primetime said:

If the buyer already had a complete cover to marry, then I think a coverless copy could certainly go $100k-$125k. Otherwise, the best coverless copy is probably south of 100 and the worst (but complete) coverless copy maybe in the 60-80 range. 

60k seems way to low for a beat up

complete copy at this point in time. :takeit:

2 hours ago, zen514 said:

I would and will pay more right now as mentionned many times before. 85k no ebay fees for a nice complete copy.

I didnt feel comfortable since he was not a well known dealer or boardie.

I know from personal experience that David Arnold was someone I didn’t want to do comic business with .... I didn’t doubt it was real at the time and thought it was worth 105k then 

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

I know from personal experience that David Arnold was someone I didn’t want to do comic business with .... I didn’t doubt it was real at the time and thought it was worth 105k then 

Called him and didnt like his vibe and asked around some well known dealers and no one recommended him.

Cats out the bag. I though it was an easy 100k back then and 125k plus now.

A complete Action 1 is extremely Rare. Someone who owns one has the means to liquidate many other books, stocks or leverage cheap equity from real estate. As an investment its blue chip and has room to grow since its still in the affordable range. Its a complete coverless unrestored Action 1.

Holy grail of the Hobby!

So people waiting for a covid deal better move on to an af15 coverless which are a dime a dozen

4 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Unfortunately, a coverless copy is worth more disassembled than it is complete.  Many can't afford the 100K but a single page or wrap is within reach.  

25K is a lot easier to swing than 100K.

But for every copy the is disassembled, it has the potential to impact the prices realized for individual pages across the board by increasing the supply.

7 Superman pages and 25 non-Superman pages per complete-coverless copy.

One of the reasons one can justify paying well over five-figures for a single page is because of how few of them have become available.

49 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

agree 110%

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

25K is a lot easier to swing than 100K.

But for every copy the is disassembled, it has the potential to impact the prices realized for individual pages across the board by increasing the supply.

7 Superman pages and 25 non-Superman pages per complete-coverless copy.

One of the reasons one can justify paying well over five-figures for a single page is because of how few of them have become available.

singles pages are rare. This is not af15 Action 1 is rare and demand is high. Singles pages  are rare and in demand. 
As per anything under 100k  cream to off white i would be a buyer.  I dont think im the only one.  

I think A complete coverless is a Holy grail  just as much as single pages.  it serves its purpose for collectors budget. 

All rare in their own right and they have been good good investments for long time holders

7 hours ago, zen514 said:

singles pages are rare. This is not af15 Action 1 is rare and demand is high. Singles pages  are rare and in demand. 
As per anything under 100k  cream to off white i would be a buyer.  I dont think im the only one.  

I think A complete coverless is a Holy grail  just as much as single pages.  it serves its purpose for collectors budget. 

All rare in their own right and they have been good good investments for long time holders

Action #1 pages will always be in demand.

But the fewer copies parted out, the greater the desire for the single-pages made available.