• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE! My Very first submission got sent to the wrong address...

16 posts in this topic

UPDATE: I went door to door, to all similar addresses and left a note.

a few hours later, it showed up at my doorstop.  So... I guess the moral is to don't trust Fed-Ex to find a lost package for you - but to persist finding it yourself? happy ending, but dang...that was a lot more work than it should have been.

Hey there - I just got a graded book shipped and sent back from CGC - it looks like it was aimed at the right address, but I think Fed-Ex is the one that messed it up, as it was delivered (not to me), signed for (not by me), and alas - no book. She-Hulk 1 at a 9.6 :/

Anyone else have this trouble? what hoops did you need to jump through to get it resolved? I called Fed-Ex and it was 'escalated' but like... did CGC insure it at it's current replacement value? because when I sent it in, it was... so much lower :/ I would not be able to replace it at the declared cost.

I just need advice if you can give it.

Edited by Revarien

What did Cgc customer service say about it when you asked them?

16 hours ago, Revarien said:

did CGC insure it at it's current replacement value? because when I sent it in, it was... so much lower :/ I would not be able to replace it at the declared cost.

That is something I had never thought about.  Given lengthy TATs on some tiers, a book may have escalated in value from when it was submitted but CGC places the insurance value based on your submittal declared value.  I doubt you can even modify that once you submit.

But since it shows CGC sent it to the correct address and it has been delivered, does CGC have to submit a claim to FedEx?  It sounds like you have already been able to escalate it so hopefully they can trace it. 

That is a scary scenario.

19 minutes ago, HaDokKen said:

Either that or the submitter lowballed the actual value of the book to get it into a cheaper tier and is now getting karmic retribution lol

That seems rather accusatory for something I clearly layed out in the initial post... but if you MUST know, since you make it sound like I did something nefarious - I bought the book for 90$... and sent it in. To get the book in the same grade that was coming back (a 9.6), I'd have to shell out around 300.  It is a lengthy process to have something graded and in the meantime, an actor for the show series has been named, and details have been coming out that make the series more and more likely - so of course it makes the book scarcer... while that's not why i picked up the book, it means to get something equivalent, I'm out so much more.

4 hours ago, revat said:

What did Cgc customer service say about it when you asked them?

Looks like they insured it at the declared value for the return trip and sent it to the right address... so definitely not CGC's fault in this... just really frustrated with FedEx... might have to change all my next books to UPS.

1 hour ago, telerites said:

That is something I had never thought about.  Given lengthy TATs on some tiers, a book may have escalated in value from when it was submitted but CGC places the insurance value based on your submittal declared value.  I doubt you can even modify that once you submit.

But since it shows CGC sent it to the correct address and it has been delivered, does CGC have to submit a claim to FedEx?  It sounds like you have already been able to escalate it so hopefully they can trace it. 

That is a scary scenario.

To be quite honest, I'd not given a thought about the book getting higher - I bought the book at 90, and it looked like it had a crunched corner, so I thought it might press out and I'd have a obtainable 9.8 in my collection... apparently it didn't press out, but as they were grading it, the actor for a 'in the works' series was announced... annnnd now prices are insane. I was just hoping for a 9.8 and now my 9.6 is in someone else's hands :/

2 minutes ago, HaDokKen said:

It was just a general comment about a regular occurrence. What tier did you submit under?

How so?

Modern - it's a book from 1980, (savage she-hulk 1), so it's the right tier and while it goes up to 200$, I only declared 90 (since i'm being honest about what I paid). So unfortunately honesty was possibly my undoing on this.

As for why it's scarcer: It's being made into a show, and there was a buying frenzy - there are way less copies, especially higher grade ones online. with more scarcity it goes up in price, hence the 300 tag for one at a 9.6 now

2 hours ago, Revarien said:

Modern - it's a book from 1980, (savage she-hulk 1), so it's the right tier and while it goes up to 200$, I only declared 90 (since i'm being honest about what I paid). So unfortunately honesty was possibly my undoing on this.

As for why it's scarcer: It's being made into a show, and there was a buying frenzy - there are way less copies, especially higher grade ones online. with more scarcity it goes up in price, hence the 300 tag for one at a 9.6 now

a she hulk 1 nm is worth like 120 so you made the right choice

UPDATE: I went door to door, to all similar addresses and left a note.

a few hours later, it showed up at my doorstop.  So... I guess the moral is to don't trust Fed-Ex to find a lost package for you - but to persist finding it yourself? happy ending, but dang...that was a lot more work than it should have been.

On 10/26/2020 at 6:48 PM, shadroch said:
On 10/26/2020 at 4:59 PM, HaDokKen said:

Interesting.

That's not how scarcity works.

Really? 

How are you quoting someone that's not in this thread?  Your powers are getting stronger lately. 

48 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

How are you quoting someone that's not in this thread?  Your powers are getting stronger lately. 

No, it is your ability to perceive them that is evidently growing. Have you been eating more veggies?

On 10/26/2020 at 2:47 PM, Revarien said:

While I try to be as honest as possible regarding what I think my books are worth, I do generally declare the maximum value available for the specific tier. That way, if something catastrophic takes place, I should be covered for the value of the book and all the other additional expenses that happen during the submission process...  ;)

Edited by The Lions Den