• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any LA show reports?

12 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

:gossip:

Go to the EVENTS section of  the cgc boards and you will see the GREAT Grape Ape's quick write up and pics.

:whatthe:

Why? I only look at the Original Comic Art CGC section. Since it's a LA Comic art show pics would be posted here.

Again grape ape enjoyed himself. It’s really a grown up, laid back experience. No hassle or pressure. Tons of art to browse in person. If you collect art I don’t have to tell you what a difference it makes to hold a page in your hands.

I saw many pagers I’ve been interested in for a long time. Seeing them up close helped me prioritize my asks in the future.

Glen is easy to talk to and we go way back to the early days of eBay. Bachata always friendly and has probably the best collection I’ve ever seen. Some of his personal NFS collection would make grown men weep with envy.

I don’t see Saul as much as I used to so it was nice to say hi. Rich also very nice I got a close up look at a page I’ve wanted for ten years. Thing is the price goes up every year so I can’t catch up.

The effort to put on this show in a safe way was very much appreciated. There was and is much anxiety about the future because of Covid. So far our hobby has thrived despite fears but we’ll have to view the cumulative effect of various factors. I’m thinking death (estates) of artists and collectors.Retirement. Financial security. 
The change in demographics and their collecting preferences.

IMO it was a great way to spend part of my Sunday with Mrs. Grapeape. To engage in a normal activity after six months of Covid health concerns.

Thanks again Bechara especially. Also my buddy Glen who is so easy to talk to and does a great job finding new and interesting pages. Next year.....maybe November? We’ll have a better attended show. I’d love to meet more of you guys.

Grape + ape 

Edited by grapeape

I blew an opportunity to ask him (Liefield) about feet...or lack of feet. In all seriousness a cool guy and a part of comic history.

I wish Mike Mignola could come back. He is such a pleasure to talk to. Very fond of his art also.

Edited by grapeape

18 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I blew an opportunity to ask him (Liefield) about feet...or lack of feet. In all seriousness a cool guy and a part of comic history.

I wish Mike Mignola could come back. He is such a pleasure to talk to. Very fond of his art also.

He really is a great guy. He was the first comic artist I had a real conversation with, just chatting about stuff. Man, I miss cons. You all are lucky. 

LTB that’s cool you met Liefield once. Like I said I wish many of you anywhere near California will make a pilgrimage to the next LA show. It’s so chill lots of art to look at.

My favorite thing to do is meet other attendees and get a look at their portfolios. I did buy two pages once unexpectedly from a fella that just showed up to get them “appraised.”

It’s also fun to bring stuff to brag about. That’s part of the fun of this hobby. It’s cool to show pieces to seasoned dealers   or fellow collectors and see them rattled with appreciation.