• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEWBIE just came in !!!
1 1

24 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Welcome to the boards!

The personal history you have with this book is priceless. Anyone with the money can go ahead a buy a high grade copy of this book and never have the connection and meaning you have with your copy. I see so many people come into this hobby and spend a great deal of money to buy books like ASM 1 only to see these guys sell the book and exit the hobby shortly thereafter because the connection they have to that book is superficial (especially when compared to your collecting experience). This is imho, the greatest reward our hobby can provide to a collector and money can’t buy it.

Best,

john

well written, thanks

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

Welcome Doc.

Enjoyed your post.  It's funny how emotionally connected we can become with comics or other items from our childhood

indeed.

For while, i collected everything that was part of my childhood:  I collected redlines, Coca Cola bottles and trays, fountain pens, some old paper back novels like the Perry Mason books (not easy to find), old doowop 45's.....etc, etc. Now, I spend the little money I have on Swiss watches,..

14 hours ago, docdoowop said:

indeed.

For while, i collected everything that was part of my childhood:  I collected redlines, Coca Cola bottles and trays, fountain pens, some old paper back novels like the Perry Mason books (not easy to find), old doowop 45's.....etc, etc. Now, I spend the little money I have on Swiss watches,..

Welcome to the boards and thank you for the story!

In 2005, when I was 21 I took a year off from college to backpack Europe.  I was on a shoe string working at hostels and taking odd jobs, but in Switzerland, the one thing I bought for myself was a Swiss pocket watch.  

I'm sure it's a cheap one as Swiss watches go, but I do thoroughly enjoy it and the memories it brings. 

On 10/28/2020 at 8:46 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Wonderful story!  Do you have other books from when you were a kid.  I’m sure we’d all love to see them.

yes, I do.

But most of them are French as I grew up in Quebec.

Stuff like Asterix, Tintin and Metal Hurlant magazine (Heavy Metal mags) and one of my favourites: Phillippe Druillet.

On 10/28/2020 at 12:42 AM, KCOComics said:

Welcome to the boards and thank you for the story!

In 2005, when I was 21 I took a year off from college to backpack Europe.  I was on a shoe string working at hostels and taking odd jobs, but in Switzerland, the one thing I bought for myself was a Swiss pocket watch.  

I'm sure it's a cheap one as Swiss watches go, but I do thoroughly enjoy it and the memories it brings. 

I can understand that.  I have my grandfather's Ingersoll pocket watch on its original chain.  It's a cheap, early 1900s watch, but I'd never throw it away. I was only six when he died.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/26/2020 at 12:50 PM, docdoowop said:

Well...

Was collecting passionately in the 1990's but have slowed down quite a bit.

I thought I would introduce myself with the help of my super low grade Spidey

Here is my first American comic book I bought when I was 5 years old (with my mom) in 1968. She knew I liked the Spiderman TV cartoon back then so when she found it in one of the bins, she bought it. I dont remember how much she paid for it but she told me before she died that she gave the store owner a $20 bill for 4 comics and she got change back. 

DSCN1931.jpg

On 10/27/2020 at 4:13 AM, bronze johnny said:

Welcome to the boards!

The personal history you have with this book is priceless. Anyone with the money can go ahead a buy a high grade copy of this book and never have the connection and meaning you have with your copy. I see so many people come into this hobby and spend a great deal of money to buy books like ASM 1 only to see these guys sell the book and exit the hobby shortly thereafter because the connection they have to that book is superficial (especially when compared to your collecting experience). This is imho, the greatest reward our hobby can provide to a collector and money can’t buy it.

Best,

john

Welcome to the boards !

Always nice to see this kind of enthusiasm and significance.  My approach to collecting as well.