• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thank you for any advice or tips

47 posts in this topic

You said you are a hustler and will sell to a sucker.  Neither of those will work for long.  Maybe you were joking but collectors don't like those kinds of jokes.  

Investing in collectibles is about as high risk as it gets.  If were easy to make money from it more people would do it.  The vast majority of old comics are not worth the time and space they have occupied during their lifetime.  The same can be said of most collectibles.  Watch 'The Antique Road Show'... Old and rare does not always mean valuable.

I could list probably 100 000 comics from 30 years ago (1990 can ya believe it!) that are worth less than what was paid. Even if you go back 30 more years (1960) it still comes down largely to condition. Grading is something that I would not expect someone who has put in even a month of continuous study to be good at. Here is what helped me become a semi competent grader:

- 15 years of looking at, buying and selling comics

- buying several overstreet grading guides and studying the pictures

- viewing countless ebay images of books in various grades

- watching the "please grade my comic" thread on here (and participating...if someone posts a book and you see 6.0 and others are saying the same thing, that's great. If everyone is saying 4.0 and you are thinking 8.0, more learning to be done!)

- participating in some fun grading contests on here to see how well I can do

13 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i think we are being punk'd on this thread .....

It well may be true but I would point out that the number of people who somehow think there is immediate gratification from buying a newsstand comic and somehow selling it at a big profit  later in the month is really enormous. I continually shake my head over the expectations that live in people's minds.  Pressers and the CGC are the ones making money here. It's like shooting fish in a tuna can. 

It's true, when people say "thirty years old", that sounds like a lot but reality beckons. (hint) no one threw them out.  By the time the bronze age hit, they were all saved. The books by and large that have real value were the ones our sixty year old's moms made sure to get in the trash.  In the sixties, they really were largely viewed as trash.  Poorly printed and assembled and amazingly distributed all over the country for .10-12 cents. 

Think about coins. Once the federal reserve building popped up on the back of the penny, disappearing what had been wheat sheaves, there are precious few of them that have value at all. They minted bazillions of them.  We abandoned silver certificates for reserve notes.  Gone are the days when I could get a 50 dollar bag of pennies in a small town in Ohio and find over half to be pre 1940. 

Tomorrow's collectibles? I have no idea what they might be but when I see signs for antique stores, I sigh when I see mostly plastics for sale. Now toys from the earlier time period and I mean quality toys with great ideas are something that still appeals to me. 

Edited by Glassman10