• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Price Corrections to Overstreet (GA Listings)

35 posts in this topic

I've had a couple of emails with folks who have told me they are frustrated that Overstreet is not correcting or adding non-price information they have sent in.  My past experience has been that Overstreet will add non-price info that I've suggested.  But, apparently the communication is not as good as it once was, and folks are feeling that their suggestions are falling on deaf and unresponsive ears.   One board member messaged me this comment, which I think sums up the issue really well:

From the 1970's through the 1980's, Overstreet was the most trusted source for two things:  pricing, and the volumes of data that is important to collectors such as historical, character and creator info.  I'll call that Data with a capital D for purposes of this discussion.  Starting in the 1990's with Comic Values Monthly and Wizard, and continuing to present day with online sources such as GPA, GoCollect and eBay, Overstreet's reputation as the best source for pricing has crumbled.

If Overstreet is going to continue to hold onto a sustainable market share, they need to either jump with both feet into the up-to-the-minute online pricing game, or they need to go in a different direction and focus on Data.   But for years, they have allowed Data inaccuracies to continue.

I agree that Overstreet's value to me is NOT pricing information, it is all other data that it puts out.  

So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to compile information addition or corrections to Overstreet's that are NOT PRICING RELATED!    I'm going to keep the second post open for corrections and additions that folks here think are worthy.

ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS for which consensus support exists:

Main listings:

* Action Comics 62 (July 1943) - Add: "NOTE:  Two versions of cover exist: (1) Original with excessive blood on the soldier and (2) censored version with less blood and red 'Zero' markings to the airplane." 

* Batman Comics 1 - Add to the Note:  "Versions with 'No 1' and 'No .1' on cover exist; unknown which came first."  

* Daisy Handbook 2 (1948) - Add "NOTE: 2 versions exist of the back cover and a 3rd version has an insert with a package of BBs attached."

* Four Color 353 (Oct. 1951) -  Add "2nd Uncle Scrooge-c; first by Barks."

* Four Color 379 (March-April 1951) - Correct "2nd Uncle Scrooge-c; not by Barks" to read "3rd Uncle Scrooge-c; not by Barks."

* Margie 36 (June 1947) - Add "Full story featuring Timely editor Stan Lee on date with Margie."

* Superman 1 (1939) - Add "NOTE: 3 printings exist.  Earliest printing(s) state Action 14 is 'On Sale June 2nd'. Later printing(s) state Action 14 is 'Now on Sale'." 

* Superman 113 (May 1957) - Add "First mention that Superman's given name is Kal-El." 

* Tales of Terror 1 (Toby 1952): Add to the end of the Note: "Rare original version and common version censoring out a nipple on cover exist."

* Vacation Parade 2 (July 1951) -  Add "1st Uncle Scrooge-c; not by Barks.""

* Walt Disney Comics & Stories - Add to the Note at the end of the listing: "Many issues of WDC&S exist as subscription variants with different back cover (25-73 and 75-145 confirmed) or front cover art (74 and 144-165 confirmed) and a rectangle for the subscriber address.  Subscription variants are rarely found in high grade."

* Walt Disney Comics & Stories 140 (May 1952) - Correct "2nd Barks Uncle Scrooge-c; 3rd Uncle Scrooge cover app." to read "3rd Barks Uncle Scrooge-c." 

Promotional listings:

* Two Faces of Communism  - Correct (Giveaway, paper-c, 36 pgs) to read "(Giveaway, paper-c (36 pgs) and slick-c (40 pgs) versions)."

NOT LISTED IN OVERSTREET, BUT SHOULD BE!:

Promotional Listings:

BERT THE TURTLE SAYS DUCK AND COVER, Archer Publications Inc., 1951 (5 cents, 16 pgs)

nn - Based on official U.S. civil defense film "Duck and Cover" regarding surviving an A-Bomb attack.  Estimated value ... $150.00.

Edited by sfcityduck

I've got a bunch of additions that I think might be worthy.  They include:

Uncle Scrooge Fixes:

* Vacation Parade 2 (July 1951) -  Add "1st Uncle Scrooge-c; not by Barks."

* Four Color 353 (Oct. 1951) -  Add "2nd Uncle Scrooge-c; first by Barks."

* Four Color 379 (March-April 1951) - Correct "2nd Uncle Scrooge-c; not by Barks" to read "3rd Uncle Scrooge-c; not by Barks"

* Walt Disney Comics & Stories 140 (May 1952) - Correct "2nd Barks Uncle Scrooge-c; 3rd Uncle Scrooge cover app." to read "3rd Barks Uncle Scrooge-c." (it is the 5th Uncle Scrooge cover, but why note it at that point?)

Feel free to disagree or like.

Edited by sfcityduck

U.S. (not Canadian) Variant Comics Fixes:

* Daisy Handbook 2 (1948) - Add "NOTE: 2 versions exist of the back cover and a 3rd version has an insert with a package of BBs attached."

* Superman 1 (1939) - Add "NOTE: 3 printings exist.  Earliest printing(s) state Action 14 is 'On Sale June 2nd'. Later printing(s) state Action 14 is 'Now on Sale'."   (The assumption here is that Overstreet will not break out versions without documented price variation data.)

* Two Faces of Communism  - Correct (Giveaway, paper-c, 36 pgs) to read "(Giveaway, paper-c (36 pgs) and slick-c (40 pgs) versions)."

I hope you guys are getting the idea here.  There are many many more fixes to post.  Hopefully, some of you guys will post your pet peeves or info you think is essential that should be in the guide.

Again, like if you agree, post a response if you disagree.

Edited by sfcityduck

Censored Comics:

Tales of Terror 1 (Toby 1952): Add to the end of the Note: "Rare original version and common version censoring out a nipple on cover exist."  (The assumption here is that Overstreet will not break out versions without documented price variation data.)

Eugene10-09276.jpg

Again, I know guys here know of many examples of censored comics that deserve notation!  Post 'em!

Again, like if you agree, post a response if you disagree.

Edited by sfcityduck

2 minutes ago, buttock said:

Does it still list Sharp Comics 1 as existing?

Yep.  Maybe that's one of the copyright traps they put in.  But that suggests we should have a category for

Comics That Don't Actually Exist:

My only concern is that Double Action 1 ultimately did exist.

Edited by sfcityduck

6 minutes ago, Yorick said:

You mean as a production book?  There is an ashcan.

Overstreet said in old OPG's "#1 exists as an ash can copy with B&W cover."  He used to get ridiculed or accused of inserting that as a copyright protection.  Turned out he was being straight.

NOT LISTED IN OVERSTREET, BUT SHOULD BE!:

BERT THE TURTLE SAYS DUCK AND COVER, Archer Publications Inc., 1951 (5 cents, 16 pgs)

nn - Based on official U.S. civil defense film "Duck and Cover" regarding surviving an A-Bomb attack.

Again, like if you agree, post if you disagree.  

And don't hesitate to add your suggestions.

Edited by sfcityduck

Man, you guys are a tough crowd.  I was hoping to generate enough enthusiasm to get this pinned to the top so the Overstreet guys could pick up our suggestions by one stop shopping!  Oh well, as Annie said "Tomorrow ..."

1 minute ago, Turnando said:

imo, the problem is with giving free stuff (effort, data) to a for-profit company.

They can fold if they can't pay people to produce their product, it's a sad but natural evolution.

The OPG started out as a labor of love by a few very very knowledgeable fans who were in no way guaranteed a financial return.  They performed a service for the comic collecting community which has paid off in the support and promotion of an entire industry, comic collecting, which has employed many and lined the pockets of many many more.  In fact, the OPG has been so successful that there is no alternative that even comes close to providing the depth of information that it provides.  Those of us who are collectors because we love collecting cannot help but want to see the OPG continue to thrive.  We want it to stay relevant.  And while it may not be that relevant any more for pricing information and market making (others have taken on those roles), it remains the best source for data.  Which is why I and, I'm sure, many others want to see it continue on.

But, here's the thing:  If the OPG is not able to stay current with our data needs and suggestions, there must be an alternative.  This thread is the best alternative I can come up.  IF you have a better alternative than just saying "let them eat cake," let me know.  

You may not realize it, but there is more comic knowledge in the minds of the board members here, and hidden away in threads, than any one person can effectively mine.  The intent of this thread is create our own, to use a phrase, wiki wherein we can share that knowledge with each other as it relates to corrections and additions that need to be made to the non-pricing data in OPG.  Will OPG ever mine this thread?  I'd hope so, but that may never be the case.  If not, we still have this.  

You can either be part of the problem or part of the solution.  I like solutions.

If you are covering Silver Age also in this thread, Overstreet should really drop the double listing for Two-Gun Kid 60 because of the hand written number issue.

No one, to my knowledge, has ever seen a non-hand written numbered issue. It most likely doesn't exist. Yet, Overstreet lists it twice with the handwritten numbered issue actually commanding a higher price across all grades over the non-handwritten numbered.

It should be one listing, with a note mentioning the handwritten "60" for the issue number.

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I need to dig out my copy to check, I THINK the paper cover is 32 and the slick is 36.  I have a low grade copy of the paper copy...

59 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I need to dig out my copy to check, I THINK the paper cover is 32 and the slick is 36.  I have a low grade copy of the paper copy...

My copy is slick, but I didn't count the pages.  I took the OPG number for the paper cover (36) and added four more pages.

Censored Comics:

Action Comics 62 (July 1943) - Add: "NOTE:  Rare original version and common version censoring out excessive blood on the soldier and adding red 'Zero' markings to the airplane exist."  (The assumption here is that Overstreet will not break out versions without documented price variation data.  But, I'd pay more for the uncensored cover!)

4B9170AE-6297-4F1D-9F74-194D8D67E761.jpeg.af22d4108da0311d8f81fae130f2ff84.jpeg

Cover for Action Comics (DC, 1938 series) #62

Batman 1 - Add to the Note:  "Versions with 'No 1' and 'No .1' exist; unknown which came first."  (Aside: I personally think it is clear that the "lacks period" version came second!  But, we'll never know.)

Walt Disney Comics & Stories - Add to the Note at the end of the listing: "Many issues of WDC&S exist as subscription variants with different back cover (25-73 and 75-145 confirmed) or front cover art (74 and 144-165 confirmed) and a rectangle for the subscriber address.  Subscription variants are rarely found in high grade."

Again, like if you agree and respond if you don't.  

I'm going to keep bumping this thread forever.  So you might as well add your own additions and corrections.

Edited by sfcityduck

In the mid 1970's Redbeard (Ron Pussell), Bob Nastasi and myself joined forces to find and identify as many censhorship books as possible from SOTI, Love and Death and Parade of Pleasure. We made tons of discoveries, compared notes and shared the info with Bob Overstreet. We also contributed ton of other info. We provided documentation and most of it went into the guide.

About the time Overstreet sold out to Geppi, I was no longer getting responses from Bob and my info no longer appeared in the guide. Even though I always had back up proof. He just didn't seem to care anymore. I had a nice list of corrections which I can no longer find. I just gave up.

There have been comments made for years about his lack of up to date pricing. The internet basically killed his ability to keep up a yearly guide accurately. OK, I get it. But what the book has to offer, and to me, has always been equaly important to pricing is information. The lack of updating this information is disturbing. This is the main thing the guide has going for it.

Here is a perfect example. Margie #36. A full story featuring Stan Lee pictured throughout. Stan even takes a teen age Margie to a night club. It also pictures ficticious movie stars. The earliest complete story featuring Stan I have run across. Shouldn't this be broken out and noted? Apparently, Mr Overstreet doesn't think so. I horded this issue for years upon discovering it, not telling anyone. The people I showed it to were blown away. I really don't care any more. Submitting info to Overstreet is a waste of my time.

margie36a.jpg

commargie36b.jpg

commargie36c.jpg

commargie36d.jpg

On 10/26/2020 at 10:41 PM, sfcityduck said:

In fact, the OPG has been so successful that there is no alternative that even comes close to providing the depth of information that it provides.  ... it remains the best source for data. 

But, here's the thing:  If the OPG is not able to stay current with our data needs and suggestions, there must be an alternative.  This thread is the best alternative I can come up.  IF you have a better alternative than just saying "let them eat cake," let me know. 

Wouldn't the GCD be the best alternative?