• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man’s true value?
3 3

88 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, kav said:

Sales thread disguised as a "I dont know much pls help" so it can be posted in CG and reach wider audience basically.

Not sure what that means. I’m thinking you’re saying I created this post in a wrong location?

1 minute ago, Spider-Ham said:

Not sure what that means. I’m thinking you’re saying I created this post in a wrong location?

This forum has been around for almost 20 years.  There is a very common situation where someone comes to this board, says "I don't know what I have" (when they have $10,000+ in comics in their pictures), and they act like they just don't know what to do next.

Not saying YOU are doing that.  Just saying that people have done that over, and over, and over, and over (18+ years).

27 minutes ago, valiantman said:

This forum has been around for almost 20 years.  There is a very common situation where someone comes to this board, says "I don't know what I have" (when they have $10,000+ in comics in their pictures), and they act like they just don't know what to do next.

Not saying YOU are doing that.  Just saying that people have done that over, and over, and over, and over (18+ years).

Oh

I do that on Facebook when I'm bored just to see how many people will lowball me. I'm almost considering it as a past time...you would be amazed at how many $50.00 offers I've got for $20,000 in books

Just now, valiantman said:

I appreciate your reply. 

Reading some of these comments, I remember why I’ve been a member for a VERY long time and NEVER participated in posting in the forums (check my handle).

We ALL have comics that are only worth what people are willing to pay for them, personally I feel this is what establishes the “value”. I’ve had people pay more for books that I thought were worth less and vise versa, and I have paid more for books that I thought were worth less and vise versa.

We all know times have changed. Now that thing that I find most enjoyable; communicating with other retailers/collectors “face to face” about the books that I enjoy is gone. Shows are no longer happening, stores are closed and now people are shutting down. 

I am tired of listing books or trying to open a line of communication and just getting keyboard warriors flex in return. People are quick to judge and not do research before working on emotion anymore. NOT saying you’re doing that but I seem to be getting a bit of backlash on the thread. 

I have purchased books online In the past and recently have tried to sell with the only thing keeping the new owner from acquiring the book is the massive amount of fees that I would have to pay.

Just like I posted, I’m asking for guidance and direction to establish “value” or find a forum/platform that is more based on collectors that tired of paying ridiculous fees that keep the the book from the possibility of changing hands. 

Again, I appreciate your comment and your positive direction is appreciated. 

23 hours ago, miraclemet said:

1. go to https://comics.gpanalysis.com/ pay for a subscription (it'll be worth it)

2. Look up all of the CGC books you have to see their current market value. GPA collects data on a wide range and history of online sales. They average the data. For hot books look at 90 day averages, for books with fewer sales look at 12 month averages. You can also look at higher and lower grade copies to understand the values around your book. 

3. for raw books look at ebay completed sales. 

4. Come back and post books for sale here in the marketplace. There are separate sub-forums for Gold/Silver/Bronze and Copper/Modern (since you have both). I'd suggest starting a thread in each... BUT before you do read the marketplace rules about what to do to follow community guidelines on using the marketplace. 

Excellent! Exactly the constructive reply I needed!

I appreciate this!

18 minutes ago, Spider-Ham said:

...I’m asking for guidance and direction to establish “value” or find a forum/platform that is more based on collectors that tired of paying ridiculous fees that keep the the book from the possibility of changing hands. 

Again, I appreciate your comment and your positive direction is appreciated. 

If you're really hellbent on selling here, then I would suggest beginning with some lower-risk stuff, to build a reputation for trust.

It's gonna take a lot of trust between you, and a buyer, to move big-$$$$$ items.

Those posts were tongue and cheek, and not with any nefarious intent. @Spider-Ham We hope you get what you're looking for :foryou: 

I didn't see anyone degrade you or the books, maybe just disbelief that you acquired those but somehow don't know the value? A little farfetched, but if it somehow touched a nerve, then I apologize as well. Mostly around here it is in love and light hearted, especially for someone who has "been here for 3 years".

Sometimes lines get crossed, if this is one of those, then I apologize again because I don't think that was anyone's initial intent :tink: 

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I apologize if my snark was misplaced.   As mentioned, we get posts like yours all the time by people that are trolling for private offers on their books, and use comics general to reach the widest audience. 

No worries, I get why people do it now.   

And now, I know what “CG” stands for.

Isn’t there an Admin that can just move my post?

14 minutes ago, Spider-Ham said:

No worries, I get why people do it now.   

And now, I know what “CG” stands for.

Isn’t there an Admin that can just move my post?

No need to move it.  We might not be done roasting you yet...:baiting:

5B46599A-BC61-4F7C-9D1A-D2BA0F1E1050.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you're really hellbent on selling here, then I would suggest beginning with some lower-risk stuff, to build a reputation for trust.

It's gonna take a lot of trust between you, and a buyer, to move big-$$$$$ items.

That makes perfect sense. Kinda would protect both parties.

It really is a shame that this whole hobby is now pretty much online. “Established” shops that have been around forever are closing and the in house shop talk is gone. 

Appreciate the Comment. 

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Those posts were tongue and cheek, and not with any nefarious intent. @Spider-Ham We hope you get what you're looking for :foryou: 

I didn't see anyone degrade you or the books, maybe just disbelief that you acquired those but somehow don't know the value? A little farfetched, but if it somehow touched a nerve, then I apologize as well. Mostly around here it is in love and light hearted, especially for someone who has "been here for 3 years".

Sometimes lines get crossed, if this is one of those, then I apologize again because I don't think that was anyone's initial intent :tink: 

Thank you. 

I appreciate that more than you think. We are good. 

Cool little story...

So the book store we owned was in the “Commons” in Trenton, NJ. My grandfather was a pretty eccentric character. He collected all types of interesting things; stamps, paintings and old bibles/books (from 1500-1800’s).

Somethings we have kept in the family other items we have donated. One of the craziest things that I remember as a kid was we had some books made out of human vellum, which I think my father donated to either The Rosenbach or the Mutter in Philadelphia.  

In a weird way, I wish we would have kept some of those but I‘m pretty sure they needed a certain type of care we couldn’t provide. That and I don’t think it would have went well with my wife if she knew what they were made of. 

18 minutes ago, Spider-Ham said:

It really is a shame that this whole hobby is now pretty much online. “Established” shops that have been around forever are closing and the in house shop talk is gone. 

Certain "established" shops would give you 50% of what the books are worth. Then certain sites will charge you a premium to sell their books

This is definitely the best place to sell your books, the only issue might be PayPal fees, but if you can get a local buyer then you might get full value

23 minutes ago, Spider-Ham said:

Thank you. 

I appreciate that more than you think. We are good. 

Cool little story...

So the book store we owned was in the “Commons” in Trenton, NJ. My grandfather was a pretty eccentric character. He collected all types of interesting things; stamps, paintings and old bibles/books (from 1500-1800’s).

Somethings we have kept in the family other items we have donated. One of the craziest things that I remember as a kid was we had some books made out of human vellum, which I think my father donated to either The Rosenbach or the Mutter in Philadelphia.  

In a weird way, I wish we would have kept some of those but I‘m pretty sure they needed a certain type of care we couldn’t provide. That and I don’t think it would have went well with my wife if she knew what they were made of. 

@Spider-Ham Welcome to the boards! 

Those are some great books you have!