• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man’s true value?
3 3

88 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Exactly.  Dont spin me a babe in the woods narrative.  You know damn well what those books are worth, go back to ebay.

Man, there are still good things left in the world. Again, It’s been tough for everyone. If you can help me, awesome, if not, just move on to the next post.

I just tried my first sell listing here on the “selling section” last night and with a little trial, error and help with the “constructive comments” and tools suggested by people on here, I did it (thank you @hollywood1892, @comics4all, @adamantium, @miraclemet). 

I do have an idea of what some books are worth but, I have quite a few that I do not. As you know, SS books and books that are limited in the market do not come up as often on eBay, this makes it very hard to gauge value.

It’s interesting, the person who suggested that I start getting more established on the forums warned me of people that just are not conducive or constructive to the collecting/trading community. It’s amazing how accurate they were.  

It’s also amazing how people are so quick to judge and make these non-constructive comments on people who have PHYSICALLY established themselves in the comic community by going to cons and different shops through out the US, not by making inappropriate comments on an online forum.

Times have changed, I don’t like it as much as the next person but lets be constructive to the people that are trying new things to keep their interests and memories as they were or better.

4 minutes ago, Spider-Ham said:

...It’s interesting, the person who suggested that I start getting more established on the forums warned me of people that just are not conducive or constructive to the collecting/trading community. It’s amazing how accurate they were.  

It’s also amazing how people are so quick to judge and make these non-constructive comments on people who have PHYSICALLY established themselves in the comic community by going to cons and different shops through out the US, not by making inappropriate comments on an online forum.

Times have changed, I don’t like it as much as the next person but lets be constructive to the people that are trying new things to keep their interests and memories as they were or better.

I don't think that this is accurate. IIRC, that was 2 different people.

I understand that you're saying you've established yourself IRL, but unfortunately, that doesn't mean anything on this venue. It's why I suggested establishing a reputation, if you're truly interested in moving very nice books here.

The boards are not as black-and-white as some people are leading you to believe. I wouldn't fall into that divisive trap. If you want to deal here, then I would suggest being as authentic and respectful to everyone, as much as you can be. Evaluate people and situations on their own merits. Please don't allow others to corrupt your perception. The larger your customer base - the better. Right?

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think that this is accurate. IIRC, that was 2 different people.

I understand that you're saying you've established yourself IRL, but unfortunately, that doesn't mean anything on this venue. It's why I suggested establishing a reputation, if you're truly interested in moving very nice books here.

The boards are not as black-and-white as some people are leading you to believe. I wouldn't fall into that divisive trap. If you want to deal here, then I would suggest being as authentic and respectful to everyone, as much as you can be. Evaluate people and situations on their own merits. Please don't allow others to corrupt your perception. The larger your customer base - the better. Right?

100% agree, but I’m looking for more than a “customer base”. The art of the handshake and “real” shop talk is disappearing, that’s what’s at stake here as well. 

I’m trying to establish a new (starting from scratch) trading, selling and buying base. I just think people forget what it’s like to start something new, I’m sure that they didn’t come out of the womb walking (though I’m sure some people think they did).

I think you can agree I’ve been as respectful and authentic as possible, just seem people just have their guard up so high they forget why they are on here; the purpose of the forums. 

I just think more people get more pleasure out of bashing and forget we are all here for the same thing, the love of the hobby. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love poking the thinned skinned person just as much as everyone else but, there is a time and place. Especially, when someone is looking for guidance.  

The best thing is, I wouldn’t be surprised if I met most of the people in this thread and we’ve probably traded, sold or purchased books from each other when shop talk and hand shakes were still around.

I appreciate your insight. 

2 minutes ago, Spider-Ham said:

100% agree, but I’m looking for more than a “customer base”. The art of the handshake and “real” shop talk is disappearing, that’s what’s at stake here as well. 

I’m trying to establish a new (starting from scratch) trading, selling and buying base. I just think people forget what it’s like to start something new, I’m sure that they didn’t come out of the womb walking (though I’m sure some people think they did).

I think you can agree I’ve been as respectful and authentic as possible, just seem people just have their guard up so high they forget why they are on here; the purpose of the forums. 

I just think more people get more pleasure out of bashing and forget we are all here for the same thing, the love of the hobby. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love poking the thinned skinned person just as much as everyone else but, there is a time and place. Especially, when someone is looking for guidance.  

The best thing is, I wouldn’t be surprised if I met most of the people in this thread and we’ve probably traded, sold or purchased books from each other when shop talk and hand shakes were still around.

Sadly, the handling of what has occurred since March has helped destroy much of our desired person-to-person interaction.

I think that it would best serve you to understand that this place gets a loooooooooot of fly-by attention-seeking questions and topics, and drive-by 1-time posters. Your instance would be an exception to the rule. Don't take it personally, we just get a kick out of seeing the same old stuff. Consider yourself a 1%er. lol

I would ask you to just take 1 step back. Look at the OP from the POV of a seasoned member here. You have some very nice stuff worth a lot of dough. Wouldn't you find it strange if an art collector asked how much a Van Gogh painting is worth? You have some signed stuff, and that throws a wrench into the mix; I understand.

Just give everyone a fair shake. Don't let the devil whisper opinions for you. 2c

22 minutes ago, Spider-Ham said:

There is a lot of good people in this hobby, and the handshake still applies but it comes in the form of a DM 

12 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sadly, the handling of what has occurred since March has helped destroy much of our desired person-to-person interaction.

I think that it would best serve you to understand that this place gets a loooooooooot of fly-by attention-seeking questions and topics, and drive-by 1-time posters. Your instance would be an exception to the rule. Don't take it personally, we just get a kick out of seeing the same old stuff. Consider yourself a 1%er. lol

I would ask you to just take 1 step back. Look at the OP from the POV of a seasoned member here. You have some very nice stuff worth a lot of dough. Wouldn't you find it strange if an art collector asked how much a Van Gogh painting is worth? You have some signed stuff, and that throws a wrench into the mix; I understand.

Just give everyone a fair shake. Don't let the devil whisper opinions for you. 2c

I’m leaning that quickly. A true trial by fire. 

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I've been here for twelve years. I think I've given my fair share of constructive advice/feedback.  I also think that I've earned my fair share of respect in the comics community. 

Sell your books, and be gone just like ten thousand others that I've seen come and go after the books are sold. 

I guess you can say I'm not drinking your Kool Aid.

GLWTS.👍

Curmudgeon. :baiting:

21 minutes ago, Spider-Ham said:

I’m leaning that quickly. A true trial by fire. 

Most people will form their opinions of you early on in your journey on the boards, and that opinion will stay with them throughout your duration, regardless of what you post from here on in.

8 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

This isn't necessarily true. Alot of people send in books that the grading fees are more valuable then the book itself

Yes, and they all have a bunch of 9.9s and HG SS books. :eyeroll:

18 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, and they all have a bunch of 9.9s and HG SS books. :eyeroll:

So, when I was a kid, my parents owned a junkyard and there were all kinds of broken down station wagons and hubcaps everywhere.  Anyway, here's my 1994 Lamborghini Diablo with 3,418 original miles.  Is it worth a couple bucks?  Should I just Craigslist this thing or what? :kidaround:

On 10/27/2020 at 7:58 AM, Spider-Ham said:

I’m getting tired of all the “fees” and games people play on online auction sites (personally I have 100% positive and hundreds of feedback to my handle) and I recently met someone on another venture that suggested I reach out and ask for help on the forums  

I want to correctly price the books I’m interested in selling accordingly not to waste anyone’s time, mine or the new owners’.

In other words, you want people to help you reach the maximum possible sale prices with minimum costs/fees.

4 hours ago, Spider-Ham said:

I’m trying to establish a new (starting from scratch) trading, selling and buying base.

You're in the wrong section.

4 hours ago, Spider-Ham said:

No, many are here for the love of money. They come here only to buy and sell and contribute nothing even if they dare to ever venture outside the Marketplace.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what you do here in the future.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

In other words, you want people to help you reach the maximum possible sale prices with minimum costs/fees.

No, many are here for the love of money. They come here only to buy and sell and contribute nothing even if they dare to ever venture outside the Marketplace.

Some of us have become...ahem better contributors

:sorry:

Nobody has addressed Spider-Man true value tho....and is his value purely based on a socio-economic platform, is he a viable solution for young kids to aspire to be? Is he a role model? Is he a threat to young people delusional fantasies of being bitten by a radioactive spider and developing web slinging abilities....or are we just trying to determine the value of several pieces of paper strewn together 

13 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Thank you for your warm welcome, constructive criticism and detailed attention of beating that horse to that bloody pulp...

Once again, I get it and I’m working on it.

12 minutes ago, Spider-Ham said:

Thank you for your warm welcome, constructive criticism and detailed attention of beating that horse to that bloody pulp...

Once again, I get it and I’m working on it.

Beating that horse to a bloody pulp is all that's left for this topic - so I hope you're smiling because the funnin' wit' ya has just started. It's not even Friday yet. :foryou:

When I was a kid, I had a rubber ducky that was my best friend.  My mother threw it out when I got older, and I've been trying to find a replacement ever since. Anyhoozlebees, what's the best way to sell my Viking 72' yacht?  Flyers at the farmers market?  Note that it does have an AC receptacle under the dinette table. 

Edited by valiantman