• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's ASSASSIN'S CREED show (TBD)

4 posts in this topic

Netflix is teaming with Ubisoft to develop at least one live-action series based on the hit videogame franchise Assassin's Creed.

The "first series" is described as an "epic, genre-bending live-action adaptation" that's currently searching for a showrunner.

“From its breathtaking historical worlds and massive global appeal as one of the best selling video game franchises of all time, we are committed to carefully crafting epic and thrilling entertainment based on this distinct [intellectual property] and provide a deeper dive for fans and our members around the world to enjoy," said Peter Friedlander, Vice President, Original Series, Netflix.

The action-adventure stealth game franchise launched in 2007 and has since sold more than 155 million games worldwide. The game depicts an ancient world struggle between the Assassins and their power-hunger rivals the Templars, and weave its drama through historical events and figures. There have been 11 games in the series, most recently Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

Netflix and Ubisoft were previously announced as in talks to make a TV series based on the game in November 2016. But the next month, a live-action Assassin's Creed movie starring Michael Fassbender was released and was poorly received by moviegoers and at the box office, likely scuttling the talks.

Given Netflix's recent success with 2019's The Witcher – which is based on a series of books and videogames – the streaming service has recently had success in making a fantastical game franchise work as a drama series. Netflix is also developing a show based on the horror game franchise Resident Evil, Showtime is making a series based on the space action shooter Halo and HBO is tackling the zombie horror survival game The Last of Us.

Edited by Bosco685

The “Assassin’s Creed” live-action series at Netflix has enlisted Jeb Stuart to serve as writer, Variety has learned exclusively from sources.

The series was first announced as being in development in October as part of a deal between Netflix and Ubisoft to develop content based on the best-selling video game franchise. The deal includes live-action, animated, and anime series. Ubisoft Film & Television’s Jason Altman and Danielle Kreinik serve as executive producers.

Reps for Netflix and Stuart did not immediately respond to Variety‘s request for comment.

“Assassin’s Creed” first debuted in 2007 and became an instant hit, with over 155 million copies of the various titles in the franchise having been sold. The open world games explore the war between the rival secret orders of the Assassins and the Templars as they use advanced machines to access the genetic memories of Assassins in different periods of the past to track down powerful artifacts called Pieces of Eden.

In a new conversation with Collider, Jeb Stuart, who was tapped to helm Assassin's Creed for Netflix, revealed that he has since left the project. Although this might seem like a cause for concern at first, Stuart didn't seem to indicate that his departure from Assassin's Creed was due to any negative circumstances surrounding the series. Instead, he noted that the divorce was mutual and simply allowed a new group to step in and work out their own ideas of what the show will look like. 

"I think it was a little bit of a move of executives from LA to London, and it allowed the London group who, unfortunately, had to inherit my vision of what it was instead of getting to develop their own vision. So I think that's fair," Stuart said of the reason for his departure. "I know it's going to be great whenever it comes out. I think the Ubisoft guys are fantastic. I think it's a terrific franchise. It was just a good, mutual time to move on for both sides."