• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slabbing for Personal Collection

21 posts in this topic

Hello,

I’m a bit newer to the comic collecting scene and had a few questions about slabbing for personal collections (not intended to resell)

These are comics in my personal collection that have meaning to me (some have value, some modern, some pre) and I would like to display them on a wall or shelf and really like the look of encased comics. 

my question is, would it be more cost effective to send them in at small batch sizes or wait to get 25 together and do a prescreen with a minimum grade at say like 5?

thanks in advance for any answers. Sorry if I sound like a noob lmaoo

31 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you are going to submit no matter what, then submitting 25 (of the same Tier) at a time is the most cost-effective.

My thoughts exactly.  I always submit in batches of 25, unless they are pre-Copper...then I submit when I have at least five.  I don't normally have a lot of the older stuff on hand worth grading and I'd be waiting a long time to get 25 of them.  Lol.

8 minutes ago, FloidFromTheVoid said:

LMAOOOOO :tonofbricks: the man always keepin me down, so i gotta lift myself up with irresponsible life choices. 

But really I just want some neat wall art lol

Nothing wrong with that.  I'm trying to sell off most of my modern raw collection, but I have a few that I display for sentimental reasons...like Devil Dinosaur #1.  That's the first comic I didn't let get destroyed by my brothers when I was a kid.  :applause:

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

Nothing wrong with that.  I'm trying to sell off most of my modern raw collection, but I have a few that I display for sentimental reasons...like Devil Dinosaur #1.  That's the first comic I didn't let get destroyed by my brothers when I was a kid.  :applause:

Yeah a lot of the stuff I wanna do this with has more sentimental reasons than value. I'll most likely send them in at smaller batches at a time. Sounds easier to manage.

1 minute ago, FloidFromTheVoid said:

Yeah a lot of the stuff I wanna do this with has more sentimental reasons than value. I'll most likely send them in at smaller batches at a time. Sounds easier to manage.

Easier to manage, but not the best bang for the buck.  If they're for your own collection, spending a bit more probably won't matter.  Your call though. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

Easier to manage, but not the best bang for the buck.  If they're for your own collection, spending a bit more probably won't matter.  Your call though. (thumbsu

tbh I'm thinking about doing it around tax time so I'll probably go with 25 but I may send a few in just to get the itch out of the way LMAO

I want my Thor 168 on my wall, I love the cover

2 minutes ago, FloidFromTheVoid said:

tbh I'm thinking about doing it around tax time so I'll probably go with 25 but I may send a few in just to get the itch out of the way LMAO

I want my Thor 168 on my wall, I love the cover

Greet cover - #169 is killer also - some sweet early Thor covers out there - if I may suggest ( as I is a similar idea at one point ) maybe cheaper to use comic book wallpaper - I’ve seen it and it’s got some cool themes when mixed in with art , figures and collected books whether it be comics or omnibuses on a shelf 

4 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Greet cover - #169 is killer also - some sweet early Thor covers out there - if I may suggest ( as I is a similar idea at one point ) maybe cheaper to use comic book wallpaper - I’ve seen it and it’s got some cool themes when mixed in with art , figures and collected books whether it be comics or omnibuses on a shelf 

I'll have to look into that! Thanks for the suggestion. I have a lot of collections from Comics, Manga, Magic: The Gathering and other stuff in that realm so that may be kinda cool looking for a corner of a room.

55 minutes ago, HaDokKen said:
1 hour ago, FloidFromTheVoid said:

That's a good way to waste even more money (thumbsu

He should send them in one at a time.

I get why people want to display comics and especially when there is some sentimental or nostalgic value. I still have some of the comics I first had as a child but the idea of slabbing them because I want to display them is an ENORMOUS waste of time and money. There are other, cheaper ways of doing it. This is an instance where a slabbing company is a benefit only to itself. 

My advice to the OP would be to do whatever you feel good about doing, it's your money. However, keep in mind that there are other ways to display comics without throwing your money away to CGC to accomplish your goal.

1 hour ago, HaDokKen said:

Mylite2 and Fullback (thumbsu

Gonna agree with HaDokKen here.  In the short time that I've been aware of CGC, I've come to realize that it's a waste of money slabbing certain books.  I used to think I wanted all keys slabbed, but I not realize that, with certain exceptions, it's better (and cheaper) to just use Mylite2's/Fullbacks.  I only slab SS books and expensive keys where I feel the slab offers greater protection than the Mylites.  I realize each person has their own preferences, but personally, I found slabbing most unsigned books a waste of money.  Looking back, I'd rather have that money back to work my way through my list of grail books/original art.

21 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Gonna agree with HaDokKen here.  In the short time that I've been aware of CGC, I've come to realize that it's a waste of money slabbing certain books.  I used to think I wanted all keys slabbed, but I not realize that, with certain exceptions, it's better (and cheaper) to just use Mylite2's/Fullbacks.  I only slab SS books and expensive keys where I feel the slab offers greater protection than the Mylites.  I realize each person has their own preferences, but personally, I found slabbing most unsigned books a waste of money.  Looking back, I'd rather have that money back to work my way through my list of grail books/original art.

what things do you consider when slabbing things that arent from the SS?

Some of my more "expensive" things I was thinking about doing it with was Secret Wars 8, Amazing Spider-Man 361 & Marvel Team Up 141

35 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I get why people want to display comics and especially when there is some sentimental or nostalgic value. I still have some of the comics I first had as a child but the idea of slabbing them because I want to display them is an ENORMOUS waste of time and money. There are other, cheaper ways of doing it. This is an instance where a slabbing company is a benefit only to itself. 

My advice to the OP would be to do whatever you feel good about doing, it's your money. However, keep in mind that there are other ways to display comics without throwing your money away to CGC to accomplish your goal.

my consideration has gone up and down on what i truly want to do. Which is good. This is why i posted this.

I do however think there will be a few I will be getting slabbed for display for my own aesthetic purposes.