• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's been your experience like with turnaround times for grading?
1 1

188 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I sent in a walkthrough submission which was entered into the system Friday night at around 6:00 (someone needs a bonus) but as of today its still in grading/quality control.  I'll likely get the grades today which is fine but I think its more of a "saunter-through".

What day was it delivered?  I'm curious when the tier goes up how much faster the data entry is on the intake.  I would expect Express and Walkthrough to get moved to the front of the lines.

Just now, Ron Churches said:

What day was it delivered?  I'm curious when the tier goes up how much faster the data entry is on the intake.  I would expect Express and Walkthrough to get moved to the front of the lines.

They picked it up at usps Friday at around 3:30 and had it in the system later that night with "received" state.  I marked the outside of the shipping box with "walkthrough" so they knew it was a priority.

17 hours ago, alohaboyz said:

i got charged approx $2000 so far and my cards are still in received status.  Wish they would charge when it at least gets to Grading stage.

They've definitely changed something when it comes to the charge.  My order was just cleared into Received and they tagged my payment method today.  My first submission wasn't charged until much further into the process.  

My first order was Standard.  I mailed from my home on 10/23. And my cards shipped back on 11/3.  I was extremely happy.  Very fast return.  

My most recent order was bulk.  I mailed it 10/30.  It was picked up by CGC on 11/2.  But it hasn't been logged into the system yet.  But I somewhat expect that with Bulk.  ;-)

Edited by Jolthammer1

• Administrator
On 11/6/2020 at 12:52 PM, alohaboyz said:

When do you actually charge the submitters Credit Card?  upon delivery, upon Opening the package,  start of grading ,etc   ?

thank you

CGC charges after all services are completed and it's getting ready to ship out.

Just now, AshleyHabedank said:

CGC charges after all services are completed and it's getting ready to ship out.

That was my understanding and my experience on my initial submission, but I'm seeing an attempt to collect the charges already on a bulk submission that posted to the system as received today (11/11).  I'm wondering if there's been a policy change?

2 hours ago, AshleyHabedank said:

I have been charged $2500+ (another charge today 11/11) and all my submissons are still in "received".   Please double check your information.  Thank you

So, the charge situation seems to be not resolved, but I do have some more anecdotal information on submission timing.

I sent in a two card express shipment that was picked up from the post office yesterday afternoon.  Box was marked express, so I hoped it would get through quick.  It did.  They had it in the system by 530 pm and today it's already shifted to 'scheduled for grading'.  So the tiers definitely act like you'd expect them to; I'd assume walkthrough is the same expedited process to get into the system.  

i will be over $3000 in charges on my CC and all my submissions are still in "received".

sort of feels like other companies at this point.  Was going to send another few hundred cards this week but decided against sending anymore until i see movement.  I have been burnt by other grading companies promises, but the other companies are on 3-9 months turnaround.    Hope that is not the situation with CGC.

Another question.  Does the status ever change ?  what is after "received" ?

Just now, alohaboyz said:

i will be over $3000 in charges on my CC and all my submissions are still in "received".

sort of feels like other companies at this point.  Was going to send another few hundred cards this week but decided against sending anymore until i see movement.  I have been burnt by other grading companies promises, but the other companies are on 3-9 months turnaround.    Hope that is not the situation with CGC.

Another question.  Does the status ever change ?  what is after "received" ?

Scheduled for grading.  You'll see a hyperlink on the submission order number at that point and can click that and see how they imported the shipment.  Then it'll say 'grading/quality control', I think, after that.  Then 'Shipped'; the grades will be available at that stage and you'll get email notification of the shipment details.  

I do wish they'd confirm the timing of the payment.  If they are going to slip on service levels that would be a big deal/change.  I was definitely not expecting to have to pay up front when I submitted things in and have had to adjust my plans a little bit.

1 hour ago, Ron Churches said:

Scheduled for grading.  You'll see a hyperlink on the submission order number at that point and can click that and see how they imported the shipment.  Then it'll say 'grading/quality control', I think, after that.  Then 'Shipped'; the grades will be available at that stage and you'll get email notification of the shipment details.  

I do wish they'd confirm the timing of the payment.  If they are going to slip on service levels that would be a big deal/change.  I was definitely not expecting to have to pay up front when I submitted things in and have had to adjust my plans a little bit.

Thank you for the important information. 

i stop sending submissions until i see movement.  CGC has charged my CC ($3000+ and going up) but all my submissions are just in receiving at this point . 

Just going to wait to i send any more to them.  I am wishing for the best at this point.

I was waiting for the Sports cards grading to start, but lets see how this works out.  It is tough to have so much money tied up.  I grade with all the companies right now,  $1,000's here $1,000's there all add up if the grading companies hold customers fund for 1-9 months.

50 minutes ago, alohaboyz said:

Thank you for the important information. 

i stop sending submissions until i see movement.  CGC has charged my CC ($3000+ and going up) but all my submissions are just in receiving at this point . 

Just going to wait to i send any more to them.  I am wishing for the best at this point.

I was waiting for the Sports cards grading to start, but lets see how this works out.  It is tough to have so much money tied up.  I grade with all the companies right now,  $1,000's here $1,000's there all add up if the grading companies hold customers fund for 1-9 months.

These guys are definitely moving faster than PSA and Beckett, once it gets into the system.  I think their volume is up and they are hitting that pre-processing issue that all the grading houses have hit during pandemic times.  My sample size is small with CGC, but my first standard submission was turned around with 4 or 5 days left in the stated timeline.  They corrected an error on my labels within 2 days of getting them back, which was very nice (and the promise on the email communication was that it might take 20 days).  I have two in right now; a bulk submission that's is following what everyone else is experiencing, and that Express that was received yesterday and is definitely moving faster.  If you did standard, I think you'll be 2 weeks or so before you'll see the status move.  I recall my 'received' status was in place for pretty much the whole period and then it went quick once it was 'scheduled for grading'.  That said, given your volume, it makes sense to take a look at how they perform.

2 hours ago, Ron Churches said:

These guys are definitely moving faster than PSA and Beckett, once it gets into the system.  I think their volume is up and they are hitting that pre-processing issue that all the grading houses have hit during pandemic times.  My sample size is small with CGC, but my first standard submission was turned around with 4 or 5 days left in the stated timeline.  They corrected an error on my labels within 2 days of getting them back, which was very nice (and the promise on the email communication was that it might take 20 days).  I have two in right now; a bulk submission that's is following what everyone else is experiencing, and that Express that was received yesterday and is definitely moving faster.  If you did standard, I think you'll be 2 weeks or so before you'll see the status move.  I recall my 'received' status was in place for pretty much the whole period and then it went quick once it was 'scheduled for grading'.  That said, given your volume, it makes sense to take a look at how they perform.

thanks for the real experience submission .   PSA only charges at time of finished grading which is great.  BGS charges when received which is fine for express service but horrible for other levels as they can lock up money for 3-9 months.  

SGC charges when arrived, which is also bad.  GMA charges when finished, good.    

I really want to use CGC . but the movement needs to be explained more.  Even a moderator here thought that CGC charges after grading, which i found out is not the correct answer.  I just got another $1000 charged today.  nothing out of "received" yet.

same I was charged as soon as they received the bulk submission. 10/26 was received. still showing received status and hasn't changed to getting ready for grading yet.

I sent a message to support to make sure they have still it. They said I should be getting it back early December, but I feel like that is not accurate

This is a huge opportunity for CGC to grab a giant share of grading cards.  I hope CGC realizes that the "TIME" factor is why many are submitting to them at this time.

SGC and even GMA dropped the ball and could have gotten a larger share but both SGC and GMA have dropped the ball by having even worst time and customer service when they had a great opportunity.

I have 10 bulk submissions with CGC that has been charged to my CC and still in "received".    PSA does take a long time, but they do not charge until they finish the job and ship the order.  I would not mind CGC charging for my submission at the grading or when the submission actually gets past the "received" level.  Just a suggestion for future growth.   I have 1000's of cards to submit Gaming and sports that are on hold .  I would have sent more Gaming cards to CGC but the charging before any movement is what is holding back my submissions.   What if grading times moved to 2-3-4-5-8 months?  i cannot have my money held for 6+ months, if i sent 1000-2000 cards, that would be $10,000-$20,000 held without any time frame of return.   

I really want CGC to be successfulso i can be a loyal customer.  A fresh company to compete with PSA,BGS and SGC.  Just hope CGC takes the good elements of each competitor and not the bad elements of those companies.

Edited by alohaboyz

30 minutes ago, alohaboyz said:

This is a huge opportunity for CGC to grab a giant share of grading cards.  I hope CGC realizes that the "TIME" factor is why many are submitting to them at this time.

SGC and even GMA dropped the ball and could have gotten a larger share but both SGC and GMA have dropped the ball by having even worst time and customer service when they had a great opportunity.

I have 10 bulk submissions with CGC that has been charged to my CC and still in "received".    PSA does take a long time, but they do not charge until they finish the job and ship the order.  I would not mind CGC charging for my submission at the grading or when the submission actually gets past the "received" level.  Just a suggestion for future growth.   I have 1000's of cards to submit Gaming and sports that are on hold .  I would have sent more Gaming cards to CGC but the charging before any movement is what is holding back my submissions.   What if grading times moved to 2-3-4-5-8 months?  i cannot have my money held for 6+ months, if i sent 1000-2000 cards, that would be $10,000-$20,000 held without any time frame of return.   

I really want CGC to be successfulso i can be a loyal customer.  A fresh company to compete with PSA,BGS and SGC.  Just hope CGC takes the good elements of each competitor and not the bad elements of those companies.

Have they been in 'received' for more than 30 days?  It's gonna go the distance on the bulk orders, I believe.  Standard looks like it's in the mid 20s; I'm sure it'll be similar for most bulk orders.