• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost Trina Robbins artwork

7 posts in this topic

Hopefully they're recovered and returned to her. I wonder about the stolen art "market." Obviously, with the fandom and honest dealers out there with open eyes, stolen artwork can't circulate openly on auction sites or sold to a reputable dealer. It either goes to someone who wants to keep it all to themselves and not display it publicly (or privately among certain guests), or it sells on some underground black market for stolen artwork. I always wondered about that sort of thing in movies and books as well, when something worth huge $$$ or even considered priceless is stolen. The rich folks that can afford just keep it hidden until...what, they die? Or it continues to circulate underground where only the dark underbelly of affluent society appreciates it? Like Catwoman, a high-class thief?  :ph34r:

10 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

I always wondered about that sort of thing in movies and books as well, when something worth huge $$$ or even considered priceless is stolen. The rich folks that can afford just keep it hidden until...what, they die? Or it continues to circulate underground where only the dark underbelly of affluent society appreciates it? Like Catwoman, a high-class thief? 

According to those in the know, the big ticket fine art that's stolen just circulates as "collateral" among criminal gangs, there really aren't any Thomas Crowns out there. I mean, that's what "they" say (shrug)

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/magazine/what-is-the-value-of-stolen-art.html

10 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

Hopefully they're recovered and returned to her. I wonder about the stolen art "market." Obviously, with the fandom and honest dealers out there with open eyes, stolen artwork can't circulate openly on auction sites or sold to a reputable dealer. It either goes to someone who wants to keep it all to themselves and not display it publicly (or privately among certain guests), or it sells on some underground black market for stolen artwork. I always wondered about that sort of thing in movies and books as well, when something worth huge $$$ or even considered priceless is stolen. The rich folks that can afford just keep it hidden until...what, they die? Or it continues to circulate underground where only the dark underbelly of affluent society appreciates it? Like Catwoman, a high-class thief?  :ph34r:

The thought of stolen comic art is always in the back of my head... there are so many trades made among collectors and little centralized info around stolen pieces that I know of.. that it seems pretty simple to "launder" those pieces into a collectors hands who has no clue it was stolen. The Bill Seinkiewicz batman painting that came to auction this year before anyone realized it was stolen is a great example. 

13 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

It turns out that she had simply misplaced it.

Great news!

On 10/29/2020 at 11:33 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

The thought of stolen comic art is always in the back of my head... there are so many trades made among collectors and little centralized info around stolen pieces that I know of.. that it seems pretty simple to "launder" those pieces into a collectors hands who has no clue it was stolen. The Bill Seinkiewicz batman painting that came to auction this year before anyone realized it was stolen is a great example. 

Imho, the Bill Sienkiewicz painting is a good example that as soon as a stolen piece hits the market publicly, someone will recognize it. The auction house failed to recognize the painting, but the piece was identified by collectors and reported to Bill S. and Sal A. within 24h of the auction catalogue becoming public.

This shows that when people steal a piece, they not only need to sell it discreetly but trust that everyone down the line will do so as well. Even if they manage to trade it with an unsuspecting collector, it may still come back at the thief when the collector tries to sell it later on.

Crime never pays. (or rarely)

Talking about the Sienk Batman, does anyone have news? Last I heard, there was an ongoing lawsuit in France, but I don't know what came out of it.

Edited by Eltanin