• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The sketch may be Robert Crumb but I could not recognize the signature

48 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it is only $1200 because that is what it is listed at.

true that.  

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 7:28 PM, JollyComics said:

It looked like Robert Crumb's sketch on the graphic paper but I can't tell who signed on that paper.

I am helping my friend to find out about that name and I need you to authenticate Robert's sketch.

Thanks for your helps.

image.thumb.png.6f9540da848a0a2f5f987d69feb56a98.png

can I ask if the image provided is cut off?

There is more to the drawing on the album cover.

1 hour ago, kav said:

you will sign more rigid with a sharpie, all those differences can be attributed to no one signs the exact same way twice.

I think Artboy is speaking more about the vibe and signor's tendencies. My concern is that one is a forgery, and the other is forgery erroneously based on the first forgery! Can't happen? It sure has! Christy Mathewson for one. About 20 years ago, one supposedly reliable authenticator published a book with either spikes (intentional errors to prove plagiarism) or simply bad judgement. The book was published, one of the Mathewson exemplars was from a sheet of signatures, the one who signed above him;the tail of that signature intruding into the Mathewson, and forgers were signing Mathewson with that "tail"!!! 

To me, the two Tim Learys here look to be by two different hands and not the same signor. IMO, neither looks right, and one was erroneously used, supposing it to be a genuine exemplar, to generate the other

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I think Artboy is speaking more about the vibe and signor's tendencies. My concern is that one is a forgery, and the other is forgery erroneously based on the first forgery! Can't happen? It sure has! Christy Mathewson for one. About 20 years ago, one supposedly reliable authenticator published a book with either spikes (intentional errors to prove plagiarism) or simply bad judgement. The book was published, one of the Mathewson exemplars was from a sheet of signatures, the one who signed above him;the tail of that signature intruding into the Mathewson, and forgers were signing Mathewson with that "tail"!!! 

To me, the two Tim Learys here look to be by two different hands and not the same signor. IMO, neither looks right, and one was erroneously used, supposing it to be a genuine exemplar, to generate the other

If you google there are plenty of leary exemplars and they are consistent.

The pencil one here looks fast, it looks like he took more time with the blotter as it was more important.  But to my eye they both feel the same.

I really dont know enough about his signature tho-it has apparently evolved a lot.  I feel very sure the 2 posted here were written by the same hand.