• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

silver age #1
2 2

47 posts in this topic

I notice , some of these winter auctions , the prices are moving out of my reach ... I thought around this time , prices are usually down a bit .

Anybody have an angle on how prices will be in 2021 ? 

Edited by aleksicwon

59 minutes ago, aleksicwon said:

I notice , some of these winter auctions , the prices are moving out of my reach ... I thought around this time , prices are usually down a bit .

Anybody have an angle on how prices will be in 2021 ? 

@Mmehdy do you have a take? 

You do tend to see a dip around this time, but this is a very unusual year. 

This is my take and I stress its only my opinion and not backed by any research. I'm far too lazy for that. 

With Covid, I think allot of people put cash on sidelines. Canceled vacations, not going out to dinner, and being home more created pockets of savings for those fortunate enough to keep their jobs. 

While typically the comic market sees a slow down November through March,  I think this year will be the opposite. Folks are cooped up, the job market is clearer today than it was 6 months ago,  and people have a bit of cash. 

Throw in the fact that the stock market has bounced back and suddenly the time is right for collectors looking to get their stretch books. 

If 2021 is greated with more stimulus $$ that may spur some spending as well. 

Again,  just my thoughts. Mitch had a really good take over in the GA thread right at Covid was devastating the market. Truthfully,  I was surprised at how comics continued to set record prices as unemployment soared and there was so much economic uncertainty. 

12 hours ago, KCOComics said:

This is my take and I stress its only my opinion and not backed by any research. I'm far too lazy for that. 

With Covid, I think allot of people put cash on sidelines. Canceled vacations, not going out to dinner, and being home more created pockets of savings for those fortunate enough to keep their jobs. 

While typically the comic market sees a slow down November through March,  I think this year will be the opposite. Folks are cooped up, the job market is clearer today than it was 6 months ago,  and people have a bit of cash. 

Throw in the fact that the stock market has bounced back and suddenly the time is right for collectors looking to get their stretch books. 

Again,  just my thoughts. Mitch had a really good take over in the GA thread right at Covid was devastating the market. Truthfully,  I was surprised at how comics continued to set record prices as unemployment soared and there was so much economic uncertainty. 

Short term we have seen collector's GA/SA demand and prices rise. This could be a new unknown factor...let me give you an example...Pokenmon cards and the collectors market has exploded due to speculators ramping up the market..it could be the same way...short term gains and long term pain when dump the widgets or GA/SA comics as winds change. Should  you buy during that period of increased speculation...yes if done so very carefully..I would limit my purchases to GA/SA books which are graded, unrestored, excellent grade score, and great page quality....everything else at some point is gonna tank. The virus is not over yet, this will take years to repair..I am hopeful we can late next year have some definite proof that we have overcome that. In the meantime government stimulus is essential and low interest  rates also.I think the smart investor looks at real estate and sees a "giveaway" of a 30 year loan at under 3%....that is got to be in my lifetime if you use the full 30 years an amazing deal given the fact that inflation is around the corner and given market conditions the word is out. That is an asset that can produce income if you don't use it. Mid range price wise SA/GA, etc can produce excellent returns but not income and possibly storage fees, as well as recovery of sales tax and shipping before a real profit can be made...but that return over say a 5 year period has to take into account inflation which is coming like a giant ocean wave also.

Just be careful and picky and prepare to long term hold your SA/GA comic books as a true comic book collector and you will end up just fine. We as true GA/SA comic book collectors as a whole will be strong, but lets hope we do not get a speculator run the GA/SA comic book market.

Edited by Mmehdy

13 hours ago, KCOComics said:

This describes me somewhat.  Thankfully I haven’t lost my job and work from home now.  As a result, a lot of the money that I was spending on gas, restaurants, vacations, movies, etc, is now getting directed toward my comic collection.  This isn’t really for investment purposes, but rather an attempt to cheer me up during this weird time.

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

2 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

This describes me somewhat.  Thankfully I haven’t lost my job and work from home now.  As a result, a lot of the money that I was spending on gas, restaurants, vacations, movies, etc, is now getting directed toward my comic collection.  This isn’t really for investment purposes, but rather an attempt to cheer me up during this weird time.

I don't think your alone here. I could be missing the mark entirely, but I just feel you throw out all the norms because it's such an unusual year. 

Edited by KCOComics

6 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

...but that return over say a 5 year period has to take into account inflation which is coming like a giant ocean wave also.

This .

I am having a serious case of FOMO right now . With the stimulus and vaccine coming , markets are melting up .

I definitely plan on holding long term ( forever maybe ) but I hate having to
buy at these prices when just a few months ago I could have done much better . 

Edited by aleksicwon

15 hours ago, namisgr said:

As a lover of Marvel comics, among all the great first issues and appearances it was FF #1 that meant the most to me as a collector.

FF1cgc.thumb.jpg.ee0caa7105642b6ef1978e09e7d0d39a.jpg

FF1, FF5, and FF6 created me as the comic book collector I am still today, at the time comic book collectors were stunned by the great combination of story and art....it felt like this was clearly something special, in old days the early FF's commanded 4 or 5 to 1 in trade.

asm1? dying to get that first appearance of j jonah jameson? lol...

hulk 1 is the only book of those 4 that has not increased in value lately. probably overdue for a move. all 3 are great books. dunno if hulk 1 will really ever get a boost from mcu like xmen and ff are expected to get. 

2 minutes ago, aleksicwon said:

You see , up to now I have been impressed my the polite and helpful responses here . But I don't appreciate these kinds of snarky and ridiculing comments .
It's why I hate the internet . Sorry but that's it , I have to say it .

first of all, its not really snark. it's true. asm1 not a first appearance book, unles you count jjj. 

also, the second half of my snarky post is gold so perhaps focus on that then. i'm sure you won;t encounter any more snark from anyone here. 

Edited by www.alexgross.com

The value of ASM 1 has shot up over the last 15 years! 

It doesn't feel like long ago that you could pick up low grade copies for less than $1k.  He's the defining character of that generation and drives huge demand for JJJ's 1st appearance.  

It is curious that of the big SA marvel keys,  Avengers #1 lags ASM #1 so much?  They both suffer from not being a first appearance,  but A1 is at least the first appearance of the Avengers (as a team).  

38 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

X-Men #1 already has its huge run-up as of late.  Will prices continue to rise?  I really don't know.  But I would go with the keys that are perceived to be undervalued compared to XM1 right now like a few mentioned above.

Yeah , Hulk seems to fit your criteria the most but I may hold off for awhile , save some money and go for higher grade . Maybe aim for AF15 .
Is there anywhere else you guys would rather put your money besides these mega keys ? Golden Age or anything else at all ? With this kind of money I could buy a ton of other books .

Edited by aleksicwon

On 11/9/2020 at 11:39 PM, KCOComics said:

Truthfully,  I was surprised at how comics continued to set record prices as unemployment soared and there was so much economic uncertainty. 

The rich tended to get richer.  After the March dip, the smart investor was able to buy more in the stock market, not panic and things went back up.