• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

silver age #1
2 2

47 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, aleksicwon said:

Yeah , Hulk seems to fit your criteria the most but I may hold off for awhile , save some money and go for higher grade . Maybe aim for AF15 .
Is there anywhere else you guys would rather put your money besides these mega keys ? Golden Age or anything else at all ? With this kind of money I could buy a ton of other books .

Great question. I'm not the best at speculating, but I'll take a crack.  I think you've picked the right SA books for an investment.  Stick with the super heros,  stick with the big names.  The ones people will keep making movies, cartoons and Halloween costumes about.  

I think AF15 is the safest book to "invest" in.  Spidey is the most iconic character of the SA and that book has been pretty stagnant for some time. 

If you start to move to that upper 5 figure range,  I like batman 1 over a higher graded AF15 personally.  Fewer copies,  first Joker. Big big book.  (Though I'm not sure how much more that would take,  as it's far enough out of my stratosphere that I don't watch it to closely).  

There is allot of chatter about books like GSX1 and Hulk 181 if you want to get into higher graded issues. Great books,  great demand,  but they are more readily available copies. 

Just food for thought depending on your price range. 

On 11/14/2020 at 8:06 AM, aleksicwon said:

Yeah , Hulk seems to fit your criteria the most but I may hold off for awhile , save some money and go for higher grade . Maybe aim for AF15 .
Is there anywhere else you guys would rather put your money besides these mega keys ? Golden Age or anything else at all ? With this kind of money I could buy a ton of other books .

what does 'this kind of money' mean? it all depends on your budget. as @KCOComics said, batman 1 is s fantastic book, but do you have high four figures? if you're talking 30k thats far different from 85k, obviously. 

pre robin detectives are all now incredibly pricey. unclear if they will continue to do as well as the big SA keys.

SA marvel keys are all super solid investments. af15 is very pricey, other books still probably will catch up a bit. but long term af15 is a great book. hulk1 is overdue for movement. jim83 is a great book, ff1 has risen but still has room to grow. xmen1 is on fire now, probably will cool off at some point and be flat until an mcu announcement. 

in bronze, hulk181 never goes away. it does a bit of a rollercoaster but continues to be a great investment after all these years and so many naysayers remarking hiw common it is. ignore them.

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

what does 'this kind of money' mean?

It means mid-grade AF15 . What I am saying is I could buy a lot of cool books for the price of one AF15 . 
I am a little conflicted because how much can mid-grade AF15 rise long term compared to investing that money elsewhere . 

I don't know if you have checked upcoming HA auction , but pre-bid on X-Men 6.5 has already surpassed recent high FMV by 30% . 
I am not buying that's for sure and if I miss the boat well that's too bad . My sense is 2021 will be out of reach for me though .

Edited by aleksicwon

5 hours ago, aleksicwon said:

It means mid-grade AF15 . What I am saying is I could buy a lot of cool books for the price of one AF15 . 
I am a little conflicted because how much can mid-grade AF15 rise long term compared to investing that money elsewhere . 

I don't know if you have checked upcoming HA auction , but pre-bid on X-Men 6.5 has already surpassed recent high FMV by 30% . 
I am not buying that's for sure and if I miss the boat well that's too bad . My sense is 2021 will be out of reach for me though .

A mid-grade AF15 is no cheap proposition.  As a rule,  I don't buy comics as an investments.  So I'm never too concerned with where market values will go, only if I'm getting a good deal against current value. 

I say this to qualify my position. I'm not an investment buyer that tracks the market or movie releases.  Others have stronger opinions than me and know the market better than I. 

Will AF15 rise long term relative to other opportunities?  My opinion is yes. It's the book that sets the SA market.  It went through a huge surge several years ago and then the price has really stagnated. Other books like Hulk 1 and now FF1 and X1 have gone through similar surges,  but haven't reached the AF15 level.

I think AF15 has plenty of room to grow and baring a major recession,  I would argue Hulk 1 and AF15 are the most likely to experience near term growth.  They are due. 

Again,  just my opinion. 

I would also say if you are looking at $70k+ for a F / VF AF15, I would at least research Batman 1. I'm not sure what you could get in that price range (maybe nothing?) But for investing at that level,  I would go with the rarer book. 

If you are in that $20k - $50k range,  personally, I would go with an AF15.  Just my opinion, curious to hear what others think. 

On 11/15/2020 at 6:30 PM, KCOComics said:

I would also say if you are looking at $70k+ for a F / VF AF15, I would at least research Batman 1.

Not only is that book super-expensive, but finding copies for sale will also be difficult. According to GPA, these are the only sales of Batman #1 this year:

CGC 7.0 - Purple Label - Trimmed - $32,500 - January, 2020
CGC 6.5 - Purple Label - A3 - $38,400 - April, 2020
CGC 6.0 - Purple Label - B4 - $33,634 - September, 2020
CGC 5.0 - Purple Label - Married Page - $37,200 - July, 2020
CGC 4.0 - Blue Label - $110,100 - May, 2020 <-- This guy got a good deal!
CGC 2.5 - Blue Label - $132,600 - September, 2020
CGC 1.5 - Blue Label - $78,000 - April, 2020
CGC 0.5 - Blue Label (Incomplete) - $12,600 - March, 2020

I decided not to list any of the single pages listed on GPA. So, in almost 11 months, only eight copies have come up for sale, and only three of them have been viable blue label books. Yes, I know that GPA is not the be-all or end-all, but it's what I used to research.

5 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Not only is that book super-expensive, but finding copies for sale will also be difficult. According to GPA, these are the only sales of Batman #1 this year:

CGC 7.0 - Purple Label - Trimmed - $32,500 - January, 2020
CGC 6.5 - Purple Label - A3 - $38,400 - April, 2020
CGC 6.0 - Purple Label - B4 - $33,634 - September, 2020
CGC 5.0 - Purple Label - Married Page - $37,200 - July, 2020
CGC 4.0 - Blue Label - $110,100 - May, 2020 <-- This guy got a good deal!
CGC 2.5 - Blue Label - $132,600 - September, 2020
CGC 1.5 - Blue Label - $78,000 - April, 2020
CGC 0.5 - Blue Label (Incomplete) - $12,600 - March, 2020

I decided not to list any of the single pages listed on GPA. So, in almost 11 months, only eight copies have come up for sale, and only three of them have been viable blue label books. Yes, I know that GPA is not the be-all or end-all, but it's what I used to research.

And a "other company" 2.5 just sold @ Heritage for $75k.  I'm told it was weaker 2.5. 

So yeah, it isn't cheap. Still, I'm surprised $30k can get you in the door for a midgrade restored Bat 1.