• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM: Sins of Norman Osbourne JTC Variant
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I'm sending a heads up to the pressers and the CGC about this new Spider-man JTC variant. Several pressers, myself included, have had disastrous results pressing these. The ink is lifting right off the inside covers. And the gloss on the front cover is coming off as well. The paper the cover is printed on feels really flimsy. This comic might be unpressable due to production issues. Proceed with caution.

Every presser I talked to used minimal heat, low pressure, and barely any exposure time. Parchment paper, acid free sketch paper, and Silicone Release Paper were used on 3 different copies I know of. Different methods all yielded the same results. Destroyed comics. It didn't matter. I had no problem pressing multiple copies of the yellow Wolverine negative variant. But the cover of this one is printed on a much thinner grade of paper. 

This is really annoying considering ReedPop shipped out a ton of damaged copies of this limited variant. Now, it seems like some major pressable defects being found on multiple copies can't be repaired. Specially, there's an over 3 inch dent being found on lots of copies that runs down from the top right side of the cover. I hope CGC can make note of this issue and take it into consideration when people send this one in. Hope this helps out. And if you've had success in pressing one please let us all know. Thanks.

20201026_161621.jpg

Might explain why there are only two sellers on eBay with guaranteed CGC 9.8 listings @ $500 a pop. When this revelation hits critical mass and if 9.8's end up being a unicorn, watching the price action will surely be entertaining. Is it true there only 2500 of this variant?

I haven't had a chance to work on any yet. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

The materials being used are not good for collecting, reading yes, but if you collect 9.8 and up, the quality of printing/distribution these days is making it very difficult to do so on certain exclusives. 

Those are the type of books I like to take a crack at using techniques that steer away from (traditional) heat sources. I may hunt a couple down where the damage is already done to experiment on. Some of these newer books would never be on my radar without posts like this.