• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My comic is printed backwards and upside down

17 posts in this topic

So I am new to all of this. I recently started collecting/reading comics. I recently purchased a copy of Batman 100 with a blank cover (because I thought I might get someone to draw something original on it).  When I first opened it, I realized the pages were upside down and backwards. To read the comic you would have to start from the back and turned upside down. The attached picture is the inside front cover and the first page, as you would normally open a book. I am wondering if this has any additional value versus just any other copy printed the correct way. I have looked for other information but I haven’t seen anything to help me. I came across the forums and thought maybe the more experienced people (all of you here) could help. Thanks for any information you can provide. 

B22E91E0-E951-4F8E-AA2B-9E7A95E50FE8.jpeg

Yes additional value

how much depends on rarity, condition, luck, other stuff

It is a printing defect. Sometimes people pay more for it. I find the market for backwards printed books to be very small, if even existent other than the novelty.

For example, I sold a bronze age book that was manufactured with the interior pages all stuck together at the top in the middle. The book was a $2 book. I tried to sell for $15 for the novelty and....nothing. Eventually someone paid me $4 for it because they were willing to spend just a smidge more for something a bit odd. That is more often the case than finding a printing defect that people will pay tons for.

The only printing "defect" people seem to enjoy frequently is multiple covers. 

15 hours ago, Mfruge1 said:

So I am new to all of this. I recently started collecting/reading comics. I recently purchased a copy of Batman 100 with a blank cover (because I thought I might get someone to draw something original on it).  When I first opened it, I realized the pages were upside down and backwards. To read the comic you would have to start from the back and turned upside down. The attached picture is the inside front cover and the first page, as you would normally open a book. I am wondering if this has any additional value versus just any other copy printed the correct way. I have looked for other information but I haven’t seen anything to help me. I came across the forums and thought maybe the more experienced people (all of you here) could help. Thanks for any information you can provide. 

B22E91E0-E951-4F8E-AA2B-9E7A95E50FE8.jpeg

Nice. It seems to sell well on eBay, if I've got the right book:

Capture.thumb.PNG.78b666279972cddd69edce1d7ced9d3d.PNG

Captureb.thumb.PNG.ad6aca0b69338b152424eadc75b736b9.PNG

And one BIN:

Capturea.thumb.PNG.486ef5af87a3d3ccd966ea16b8b688e4.PNG

Hope it sells.

It's printed upside down of a few reasons it's either a plate room error or the press operator set up the angle bars wrong in the ribbon deck, only way to know that is if the upside down page is on another page of the same sheet and no one checked the books or weren't paying attention, it should have been caught as soon as they got the press up and running.  

Edited by Kevin76

17 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

It's printed upside down of a few reasons it's either a plate room error or the press operator set up the angle bars wrong in the ribbon deck, only way to know that is if the upside down page is on another page of the same sheet and no one checked the books or weren't paying attention, it should have been caught as soon as they got the press up and running.  

I'm pretty sure it was just assembled with the cover upside down and there wasn't any problem with the actual printing.

24 minutes ago, Bob Troub said:

I don't care...I am just amazed that something like this would sell for any price...since it has zero long term value

I don't know if I'd necessarily bet on that horse. Because several of these showed up on ebay at the same time, it's ... fairly likely that there was a nontrivial percentage of the print run affected. One-off error books are curiosities, but repeated error books are sometimes deemed collectible "error versions". Venom Lethal Protector black cover, Sandman #18 blue panels, Dazzler black and white ad pages, and so forth.

My biggest concern with this piece is that the cover misalignment would be far easier to fake than the more traditional error variants. But we'll see.