• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating RICK STARR
9 9

341 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Check on PL.  It doesn't say how long the boards will be on PL.   I am very sure anyone who are on HOS and are banned from CGC but how long on PL?

Until the issue is resolved (ie book is sent) or the wronged party decides to release the offender from the PL. 

The difference being there is no path off the HOS, and the HOS doesn't require any individual to be wronged, it can just be the community at large. 

Edited by miraclemet

40 minutes ago, bb8 said:

This is a mobocracy.

At this point if anyone wants to do the research and click the links associated with PL members they can get an idea of what is PL worthy.  The previous cases have set precedent for what is PL worthy and HOS worthy.  

22 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Check on PL.  It doesn't say how long the boards will be on PL.   I am very sure anyone who are on HOS and are banned from CGC but how long on PL?

They aren’t banned.  One HOS member still lurks.  He is just smart enough to not post.  I assume he continues to try and do deals here through PM.  The last time two people outed him.  Enough time has passed that newer members might not realize that he is persona non grata. 

9 minutes ago, wombat said:

The thing is there doesn't have to be any kind of crazy solution to this. Seller just needs to go through with the sale. 

Considering the seller dismissed the buyer’s dissatisfaction with “it’s only a comic” that does seem to be the most appropriate solution. 

12 minutes ago, Number 6 said:
24 minutes ago, wombat said:

The thing is there doesn't have to be any kind of crazy solution to this. Seller just needs to go through with the sale. 

Considering the seller dismissed the buyer’s dissatisfaction with “it’s only a comic” that does seem to be the most appropriate solution. 

But certainly the easiest remedy. No need to jump through hoops on this one. 

26 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

At this point if anyone wants to do the research and click the links associated with PL members they can get an idea of what is PL worthy.  The previous cases have set precedent for what is PL worthy and HOS worthy.  

It was meant in jest. But I certainly have seen some wild swings of opinion and pre-mature convictions here. Generally I think the consensus gets to the right place, though.

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

RICK STARR is free to not complete this transaction, but based upon the rules, if the OP wants him added to the PL, he should be added to the PL.  You can do what you want with your stuff, but you can't avoid responsibility for backing out of a deal on the Boards by ginning up a "payment not received" excuse. 

Beautifully put.  Poetry 

45 minutes ago, bb8 said:

It was meant in jest. But I certainly have seen some wild swings of opinion and pre-mature convictions here. Generally I think the consensus gets to the right place, though.

I misread that - mah bad 

Hi, everyone. I appreciate the time and effort people have put into reading and commenting on this matter. Even if I disagree with some of your opinions, I still value your input. It is clear from reading some of your responses that you have a connection with the seller, and have probably had successful transactions with him.

As some have acknowledged, John is not a newbie. He also acknowledged that he buys, sells, and trades, and has been doing so for decades. Listing a book by mistake, listing a book that he simply cannot live without, seems quite uncharacteristic of him. But according to him, that's what happened. I will get back to that in a moment...

First, I ask you to humor me, and to try and put yourselves in my shoes: I, along with several others, made "Take" claims on books that John, a veteran here, listed for sale. Whatever his motivations were for having the sale is a moot point. No one forced him to list any of those books; he could have withheld any one of those books, but he didn't. I saw a Golden Age beauty with white pages, the last book I needed to complete my first little run of comics. I did not shake him down. I did not haggle. I met the conditions of his sale. I did my part.

John could have told me outright that he was having second thoughts. He could have advised me not to send the check. Instead, he congratulated me on my good taste and offered me other books before he listed them. I sent the check, eager to add that nice book to my collection and, well, you all know the rest by now.

It's easy to dismiss this incident when it's happening to someone else, but perhaps the RICK STARR supporters would sing a different tune if it had happened to them. Hopefully, they will never have to go through such frustration.

If you read our long list of messages, I first contacted John 6 days after I sent the check to see if he had received it. He could have expressed his reservations then, but he didn't. I contacted him again a short time later, offering an alternate payment. He could've expressed his reservations then, but he didn't. As someone already pointed out, this is not about a late payment... although John's response in this thread tries to convince you otherwise. 

Getting back to the point of the book in question, nothing about John's decision or subsequent statements or behavior make sense. If he was so attached to the book, why did he list it in the first place? Why did he congratulate me on the sale, and why wouldn't he have given me any indication that he was reconsidering the deal until two weeks later? I sure as heck would not list a beloved book of mine without putting some serious consideration into it, knowing I would have to commit to the sale. Again, this is a veteran dealer, not some newb who has never owned a nice book before... and I think we can all agree that John has some wonderful books. 

Why did John become so defensive when I called him out on it, and why would he risk his reputation over what (to John, judging by what I've seen) is probably a fairly inexpensive and not incredibly rare book? (Again, I love the book because I am a huge fan of Cole, but John seems to have loads of beautiful high grade books). The only reasons I can think of are 1) he's just an incredibly stubborn dude who doesn't want to be told what to do (I guess I can relate to that, at least), or 2) he is no longer in possession of the book, or 3) he posted the book with an "f-u" price that he did not think would be met, and was taken aback when it actually sold.

As for my check, when it does arrive, would John even let me know? I am not so sure at this point. It's to his benefit to claim I never sent it, which it seems he has already tried to suggest.

Obviously I really wanted the book, or I would not have been actively contacting him to see if he wanted me to send another payment!

I have bought books here and elsewhere, and there were times when I agreed to purchase a book only to have an unexpected car repair, or on at least one occasion, I was offered a nicer copy for much less after the fact. Nevertheless, I did the gentlemanly thing and completed the transaction, even if it hurt financially, even if I changed my mind.

. I was taught that a man's word is his bond. From what I understand, the board rules state that when a seller and a buyer enter an agreement both parties are expected to complete the transaction.

I upheld my end of the deal, but John did not. He is not a man of his word.

Edited by thewritestuff

7 hours ago, october said:

Plenty of people dislike PayPal, myself included.

Paying via regular PP on that purchase would have cost the seller $57 for their "services". Screw. That. 

So send it as a gift. You get the same buyer protection as a check.

8 minutes ago, G G ® said:
1 hour ago, the blob said:

So send it as a gift. You get the same buyer protection as a check.

Really? Is that true? I thought F & F was not up for refund?

Neither is a check.  Although, I would send one instead of paypal f & f for a purchase.  

6 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Its not, but then neither is a check (granted you can stop payment on a check), which I think was the point.

yep. you can stop payment, but once it has been paid...

Edited by the blob

I posted early on in the thread and I wanted to give the Seller a fair hearing.

I don't know him, he is not a mate of mine, but I believe there are two sides to every story. He claims never to have received the cheque. You claim to have sent one. I guess that's something we will never know. You do seem to have been very quick to think bad of him by suspecting he did another deal with someone else, without any evidence whatsoever...just suspicion.

However I have carefully considered your evidence and his very limited response.

It seems on the face of it that you have made every effort to pay for the book and the seller has simply changed his mind.

Is that acceptable? Hell no but all this doesn't get you the book, certainly not now.

You can pursue him onto the PL list but I doubt it will make much difference to his sales. The hungry wolves will still tear each other apart to buy his stuff when he eventually does another sale, because people can shoot their grannies and stampede children to get the desirable book they want here.

His response to your plight I find unsatisfactory and fairly dismissive.

I'm sorry you got bent over the desk but I would say this, threads like this can work both ways. Your fastidiousness and eagerness to exact justice may well put a future seller off doing business with you, because they may be terrified if the slightest thing goes wrong, they are going to have problems with you...just a thought.

Also you come across in some of your pm postings as slightly paranoid with all that 'little 'ol me' stuff being too unimportant or insignificant to be taken seriously, and that larger dealers are treated more favourably than you.

This is just an impression I got, and it's my own opinion.

I hope you get the book you want eventually.

I do think you were treated poorly IF you did indeed send the cheque. You have no proof you did and there lies the problem for me.

Altho' the seller reneged on the sale, I can actually understand his thinking if he felt he was being strung along. I would have more respect for him if this was admitted.

So in conclusion, the 'law' appears to be on your side but I still think there is more to this than meets the eye. 2c