• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating RICK STARR
9 9

341 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, thewritestuff said:

As for my check, when it does arrive, would John even let me know? I am not so sure at this point. It's to his benefit to claim I never sent it, which it seems he has already tried to suggest.

I unfortunately had this same thought...

If it was me I'd resend the check priority mail with sig verification. And which ever one gets there second, stop payment on it, or just trust rhayt Rick will rip it up.

Edited by miraclemet

7 minutes ago, G G ® said:

I posted early on in the thread and I wanted to give the Seller a fair hearing.

I don't know him, he is not a mate of mine, but I believe there are two sides to every story. He claims never to have received the cheque. You claim to have sent one. I guess that's something we will never know. You do seem to have been very quick to think bad of him by suspecting he did another deal with someone else, without any evidence whatsoever...just suspicion.

However I have carefully considered your evidence and his very limited response.

It seems on the face of it that you have made every effort to pay for the book and the seller has simply changed his mind.

Is that acceptable? Hell no but all this doesn't get you the book, certainly not now.

You can pursue him onto the PL list but I doubt it will make much difference to his sales. The hungry wolves will still tear each other apart to buy his stuff when he eventually does another sale, because people can shoot their grannies and stampede children to get the desirable book they want here.

His response to your plight I find unsatisfactory and fairly dismissive.

I'm sorry you got bent over the desk but I would say this, threads like this can work both ways. Your fastidiousness and eagerness to exact justice may well put a future seller off doing business with you, because they may be terrified if the slightest thing goes wrong, they are going to have problems with you...just a thought.

Also you come across in some of your pm postings as slightly paranoid with all that 'little 'ol me' stuff being too unimportant or insignificant to be taken seriously, and that larger dealers are treated more favourably than you.

This is just an impression I got, and it's my own opinion.

I hope you get the book you want eventually.

I do think you were treated poorly IF you did indeed send the cheque. You have no proof you did and there lies the problem for me.

Altho' the seller reneged on the sale, I can actually understand his thinking if he felt he was being strung along. I would have more respect for him if this was admitted.

So in conclusion, the 'law' appears to be on your side but I still think there is more to this than meets the eye. 2c 

Why do you doubt that he sent the check? 

5 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Why do you doubt that he sent the check? 

Ryan, I could post the duplicate copy of the check with the date on it, and my monthly statement showing that the same check is missing from among the others, but people will still believe what the want to.

17 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I unfortunately had this same thought...

If it was me I'd resend the check priority mail with sig verification. And which ever one gets there second, stop payment on it, or just trust rhayt Rick will rip it up.

He has clearly stated that he has no intention on selling me the book no matter what.

9 hours ago, october said:

Plenty of people dislike PayPal, myself included.

Paying via regular PP on that purchase would have cost the seller $57 for their "services". Screw. That. 

Then raise the price of the item to incorporate fees so you clear what you want after the fees are deducted. 

I have passed on books here over a certain price because people wanted a check or F&F.   In fact, over the summer was the first time in years that I sent out a money order for a book because it was something I wanted under $100.  I figured worse case scenario I am out $75 or whatever it was.  But no, sellers should figure out the fees to incorporate it into the price. 

52 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Then raise the price of the item to incorporate fees so you clear what you want after the fees are deducted. 

I have passed on books here over a certain price because people wanted a check or F&F.   In fact, over the summer was the first time in years that I sent out a money order for a book because it was something I wanted under $100.  I figured worse case scenario I am out $75 or whatever it was.  But no, sellers should figure out the fees to incorporate it into the price. 

No thanks. My threads do just fine as-is.

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Why do you doubt that he sent the check?   1.

1 hour ago, wombat said:

This makes me think you didn't even read the thread. The buyer offered to either send another check with tracking or pay in a different method which the seller turned down. How on earth is that stringing along the seller?          2.

1 hour ago, thewritestuff said:

Ryan, I could post the duplicate copy of the check with the date on it, and my monthly statement showing that the same check is missing from among the others, but people will still believe what the want to.                             3.

1. I'm merely saying it's possible he didn't send it. We only have his word for it. Is it unreasonable to even raise that question. Why should I take it as gospel?

2. I did read the thread of course, and my point was that if for whatever reason no cheque was ever sent or not sent in a timely fashion then it is not unreasonable to suppose a seller would be irritated by this, and that may motive said seller to withdraw the book.

3. I would certainly believe hard evidence, but who has a duplicate check of one they already posted...so post away. I would be interested to see it.

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

@G G ® of all the facts of this thread THIS is the part you have a problem with? How about the fact that the seller has explicitly said hes changed his mind about selling the book? Isn't that where the main problem lies?

@thewritestuff I'd have no problem selling to you in the future

Are you not willing to concede that there may well have been a lengthy delay in sending the initial cheque? Have you never experienced buyers using every trick in the book not to pay promptly. I know I have, particularly on ebay. I've also experienced it here on a few occasions. If a buyer does not pay in a promptly matter for whatever reason, then eventually comes round to taking care of payment, but then maybe the seller is annoyed and stops the sale because he has been messed about, is it not inconceivable that the buyer then thinks of himself as hard done by?

I'm not stating that this has happened here because I don't know, but I can certainly say it does happen.

1 hour ago, october said:

No thanks. My threads do just fine as-is.

That's fine for you... but as I have stated, I just walk on by any thread where they are asking for a personal check for anything above a certain threshold.   And I know that there are others that do the same.  

I am not just dipping my toes in the comic waters, I am also going through vintage toys, legos, action figures and things like that.  I've also seen too many people in other areas of get screwed over when something goes south because there was not that protection.  So... I walk.

Because at the end of the day, if I am buying a $2000 item, and I paid by personal check and the item gets lost in the mail, I don't really trust anyone to 'do the right thing'.  That could be someone's mortgage payment.  That could be what keeps them afloat for the next month.  So I would prefer to pay that extra $60 some odd dollars to make sure that I have that protection.  If I am spending $2000 then an extra $60 is a small price to pay to make sure things work out. 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

That's fine for you... but as I have stated, I just walk on by any thread where they are asking for a personal check for anything above a certain threshold.   And I know that there are others that do the same.  

I am not just dipping my toes in the comic waters, I am also going through vintage toys, legos, action figures and things like that.  I've also seen too many people on in other areas of get screwed over when something goes south because there was not that protection.  So... I walk.

Because at the end of the day, if I am buying a $2000 item, and I paid by personal check and the item gets lost in the mail, I don't really trust anyone to 'do the right thing'.  That could be someone's mortgage payment.  That could be what keeps them afloat for the next month.  So I would prefer to pay that extra $60 some odd dollars to make sure that I have that protection.  If I am spending $2000 then an extra $60 is a small price to pay to make sure things work out. 

There are a small handful of sellers I'll do FF with. One's i have history with and have a good reputation.

I don't really like doing checks these days. Not because I'm against checks, but because my check book is from like 1999 and when I run out of checks, I don't want to go through the hassel of replacing them. 

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

To point 1:  Ok, but why do you take the seller's word that he never received it as "gospel"?  It's pretty clear from the seller's own words he changed his mind about the selling the book.  How do you know that the seller didn't change his mind about the book, receive the buyer's check, and just toss the check in the trash and claim he never got it because he now very much wants to keep the book?

How far down this rabbit hole do we go?

To point 2:  you're reaching, you don't have to engage in supposition.   There's nothing in the seller's own PMs to the buyer that indicates he's  "irritated" about not receiving the payment in a timely fashion.  He clearly states that he now wants to keep the book and the fact (supposedly) that he hasn't received the check is a convenient excuse to do so.  The seller clearly states what his motive is.  What motive does the buyer have for not sending the check and then claiming he did?  And then falsely accuse John and wrongly get him on the PL list?  What does the buyer gain from doing that?

Honestly, I've found this whole PL discussion rather bizarre.

As several others have said, if the roles were reversed and it was some newbie who did this it would be a slam-dunk PL nomination.

But with this we've had long-standing, well-respected Board members popping up to dismiss this as not PL-worthy because...why?  Because now it's RICK STARR?

I think...unfortunately...you are right about one thing:  whether RICK STARR ends up on the PL or not, Cool BooksTM will rule the day.

Here's what I think happened.

There was definitely a delay in the cheque arriving, apparently it never arrived at all, whatever, there was a definite delay.

The seller was annoyed, so much so he changed his mind about selling it to that particular buyer.

I do not believe that the seller had any intention of doing this from 'sellers remorse' from the outset, but I suppose it's all conjecture. There has been very little input from the seller so it's hard to get the full story, but as I said there is something going on here that is not so black and white, but I can't put my finger on it.  

Whatever I don't think the PL is appropriate in this case, but that is just my humble opinion.