• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating RICK STARR
9 9

341 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, thewritestuff said:

GG, have you ever heard of Occam’s razor? If not, perhaps you should look it up..,

Don't need to, I am sufficiently educated I thank you.

Do you not remember an unsolicited pm you sent to me on Sept 13th, because I do. I still have it.

A pm in which you were defending Dylan when the world and his brother were slamming him?

A pm where you were coming up with all sorts of reasons for Dylan's behaviour?

A pm where you admitted your musings were pure speculation.

I can publish it here if you want.

Ever heard of hypocrisy? If not, perhaps you should look it up....   

11 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's kind of how I feel about this. I'm not comfortable with this 'all or nothing approach' to seller transgressions which can clearly vary significantly in their severity.

In most other walks of life you are judged by the totality of your actions, not a single one.  Rick Starr has been a member here since 2007 and has run countless sales thread, all seemingly successfully. He has many followers and, by his own words, a long history as a seller on and off the boards. Does all that positive history count for nothing? If this were eBay he may have a 99% feedback record with the one transgression noted. 

Rick is clearly in the wrong on this incident based on the facts presented. But people of good character sometimes make inexplicable mistakes or errors of judgement. Maybe, when Rick logged on, he might have expected some more comments from the community that he has been a part of for 13 years supportive of him as a decent guy who has acted out of character. Maybe - and again, this can happen to good people - the barrage of negative commentary (from his peers) seemed so unjust and out of proportion to him that it disabused him of the notion to put the matter right there and then. This can happen to good people - influenced by indignation, they make a bad error of judgement on top of another and all of a sudden the matter seems lost. Have you ever read an online post that was critical of you and felt the rage?

Put yourself in Rick's shoes for one minute. Almost universal condemnation for his actions from his peers. How do you think he feels? How would you feel, logging on to see your name and address posted publicly and an avalanche of criticism from your peers? Is it a part of human frailty that we can resent so strongly an accusation of impropriety - even when it is justified - that it influences us away from putting the matter right?

Rick can put this right by selling the book to the writestuff. But I think he has been smashed here, absolutely smashed, because there is no nuance to the process, no consideration of past behaviours. I doubt he'll return. Maybe a series of posts or PMs from those he has dealt with here urging Rick to do the right thing would have put this right, put him on the right path. We all make mistakes, we all have our pride.

Writestuff - you are absolutely right to feel annoyed and messed around by this event. But 157 posts of character assassination of a fellow board member of previously good standing seems as unjust to me as the crime against you. You've both lost here - you, a comic that you wanted, Rick, his board reputation.

And I dislike the mob mentality here where those who offer alternative viewpoints are themselves ganged up on and, in some indefinable way, placed on the naughty step themselves. 

There has to be a better way of managing such events and I think the one size fits all approach has clear failings. 

Absolutely excellent post Steve. I congratulate you my friend. :applause:

1 hour ago, G G ® said:

Don't need to, I am sufficiently educated I thank you.

Do you not remember an unsolicited pm you sent to me on Sept 13th, because I do. I still have it.

A pm in which you were defending Dylan when the world and his brother were slamming him?

A pm where you were coming up with all sorts of reasons for Dylan's behaviour?

A pm where you admitted your musings were pure speculation.

I can publish it here if you want.

Ever heard of hypocrisy? If not, perhaps you should look it up....   

GG, if you somehow feel it is relevant to post a private message about a completely unrelated matter, about a seller who is maybe twenty-two years old and who has been in the business for two years or so, go for it. Nice diversion tactic, by the way. Knock yourself out!

You  seem to have formed your own strange conspiracy theory, and in this conspiracy theory I am somehow the villain. You cannot seem to grasp the fact that I am being 100% transparent. The reason is simple: I have nothing to hide. 

As your sufficiently educated self already pointed out, you are unable to put your finger on this so-called mystery because of the seller's reluctance to communicate, yet you continue to believe that I'm the one pulling the shenanigans by implying that I never sent the check...or that it was delayed for an unreasonably long time.

Let me put it in the simplest of terms: If I had no intention on buying this book, why would I care that John nixed the deal?

In fact, in that hypothetical scenario, wouldn't I have been secretly grateful that John bailed me out of a dicey situation by deciding to keep the book? 

Edited by thewritestuff

1 hour ago, thewritestuff said:

GG, if you somehow feel it is relevant to post a private message about a completely unrelated matter, about a seller who is maybe twenty-two years old and who has been in the business for two years or so, go for it. Nice diversion tactic, by the way. Knock yourself out!

You  seem to have formed your own strange conspiracy theory, and in this conspiracy theory I am somehow the villain. You cannot seem to grasp the fact that I am being 100% transparent. The reason is simple: I have nothing to hide. 

As your sufficiently educated self already pointed out, you are unable to put your finger on this so-called mystery because of the seller's reluctance to communicate, yet you continue to believe that I'm the one pulling the shenanigans by implying that I never sent the check.

Let me put it in the simplest of terms: If I had no intention on buying this book, why would I care that John nixed the deal?

In fact, in that hypothetical scenario, wouldn't I have been secretly grateful that John bailed me out of a dicey situation by deciding to keep the book? 

Let me make a couple of points.

The pm I refer to which you sent got me thinking at the time;

I thought here is a guy who has some compassion, some empathy, and an understanding of how a person can make a mistake, and that there can be reasons for it.

My overwhelming impression was, here is a nice guy. meh

I have to say I am not a religious person at all but I know plenty here are. I believe there is an expression in an old book that says..'Let he who is without sin etc etc'

I mention this because I would like to know if anyone here has ever bought anything from a seller who does not have 100% feedback? If they say they haven't then I would say, they are extremely fortunate, extremely discerning or a liar. Anyone on ebay without the 100% seller rating has made at least one digression, maybe many. I know we hold ourselves up to higher standards here but nevertheless the principle remains. You buy from a seller who has not got 100% and you effectively acknowledge their mistakes, and you forgive them.

I would also add that the mob mentality in this thread to date has been shameful, with personal insults and snide remarks just because the concensus of opinion is not followed by everyone. So 'shame on you' to anyone who has subscribed to that. You know who you are.

My solution to this dilemma is this.

STARR makes a full and frank and sincere apology to you, and if satisfied you accept it and move on. Be the bigger man. If you are not satisfied, then have at it.

Lastly I would mention that the term COVID has popped up in this thread on multiple occasions, I would have thought that in these very bleak times for many of us, the fact that someone doesn't get a funny book is the least of our worries. 

GG out.

4 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I have only seen 1 person that is posting personal insults and snide remarks. 

well, that only shows that your eyesight is wonky and you smell of elderberries. :bigsmile:

see, there are at least 2 of us! :sumo:

7 minutes ago, wombat said:

I'm curious why your solution to this dilemma is not to have STARR sell the book like he agreed to? Does that not appear to you to be the fairest solution?

Of course to end this, yes. However I think it's fairly obvious that STARR wants to keep the book. If it was me (as the buyer) and the seller changed his mind, I certainly would not want to force him to do it under threat or duress of the PL. I'd just walk away. Who wants to own a book with such bad vibes attached to it?

Edited by G G ®
ytpo

1 minute ago, G G ® said:

Of course tho end this, yes. However I think it's fairly obvious that STARR wants to keep the book. If it was me (as the buyer) and the seller changed his mind, I certainly would not want to force him to do it under threat or duress of the PL. I'd just walk away. Who wants to own a book with such bad vibes attached to it?

I definitely wouldn't want to own a book that reminded me it put me on the PL every time I looked at it. I am curious if STARR thinks he did anything wrong. 

1 minute ago, wombat said:

I definitely wouldn't want to own a book that reminded me it put me on the PL every time I looked at it. I am curious if STARR thinks he did anything wrong. 

At this juncture, I really don't care. I stand by what I said. It's a mistake, a bad form move, but it's a blip from an otherwise untarnished and respected seller. I say cut him a break.

11 minutes ago, G G ® said:

Of course to end this, yes. However I think it's fairly obvious that STARR wants to keep the book. If it was me (as the buyer) and the seller changed his mind, I certainly would not want to force him to do it under threat or duress of the PL. I'd just walk away. Who wants to own a book with such bad vibes attached to it?

No one is forcing STARR to sell the book.  He can choose to keep it and sit on the PL, or he can go through with the transaction as originally agreed.  

Life almost always gives you a minimum of two choices in any situation, some of the choices just have a consequence attached to them.  Why you want the wronged party in this to make all the sacrifice is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, wombat said:

Honestly this is what really confuses me. If it is just a blip, why not fix it? It would be really easy. Just sell the book. Why would a seller that is well respected and otherwise untarnished not want to make things right. It  makes no sense to me. 

I don't know. He may have things going on that are more important?