• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating RICK STARR
9 9

341 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, kav said:

The problem I am having with the seller is the sort of lackadaisical attitude about receiving the check.  "Havent checked the mail today"  "The mail is slow lets give it more time" type posts and then suddenly out of the blue "I've decided to keep the book".  Not "I have waited and waited and keep checking the mail and no check I need payment by X or I am going to relist the book for sale".
That's the problem I'm having along with the "this will be my one and only post on the subject".  

I can almost certainly guarantee that the seller was checking his box everyday,

Sounds to me like seller grew overwhelmingly impatient, and this deal dying  could be chalked up to covid.

I tend to agree with GG regarding how the thread is being handled. And on the same hand a deal is a deal both sides should honor it.I guess i come from a different world then most of these boardies, and people learn a lesson a lot harder then a probation list.

Also if seller sold book to someone else, that is absolutely no good

And if buyer didn't send check on time it's also absolutely no good

(but only they know)

by the way

Has anyone heard of e transfers?

Who uses checks?

I've sent people money through e transfers and they send me book. An e transfer takes about half an hour. This is a trust worthy site 

Ironically this website crashes constantly and people send checks, maybe its time to step out of the stoneage

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I can almost certainly guarantee that the seller was checking his box everyday,

So you're saying he was lying when he said "havent checked the mail today"?
Yeah that makes no sense.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

If someone was sending me $1900 in cash or sorry what is it you call it? A check, then I'm checking (pardon the pun) my mailbox everyday for that money

And that's why I'm having a problem with it.  His lackadaisical attitude towards the check and the sudden "I decided to keep the book".
It doesnt make sense, as Judge Judy would say.

Just now, kav said:

And that's why I'm having a problem with it.  His lackadaisical attitude towards the check and the sudden "I decided to keep the book".
It doesnt make sense, as Judge Judy would say.

Regardless if seller gets put on probation list or not, his name is tarnished by this transaction...like if I ever see his name in selling forum I will remember this thread

2 hours ago, thewritestuff said:

Who uses checks? Well, I do. 

As the would-be buyer in this situation, I have seen a couple of posts that question my choice of using a check, as if that somehow puts me in the wrong here.

I am not sure why people continue to get caught up on this point. Checks are still an acceptable form of payment, are they not?

I didn't say using a check puts you in the wrong, I simply spoke about the archaic nature of using checks to circumvent selling premiums on certain platforms like PP, and I totally understand the desire to do that. It's a tough situation because you are disappointed you didn't get the book (understandably so). And we all need to understand the trying times we live in, I simply suggested changing to a different paying platform.

Side note: One of the most important things on the boards is the buyers/sellers forum (arguably the most important thing) and it's decided by the members, or in such a way policed by them with nominations for PL and stuff like that, but we can't come to the defense of one another over the trivial nature of strikes and stuff we have been getting in recent times)

Edited by Hollywood1892

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I didn't say using a check puts you in the wrong, I simply spoke about the archaic nature of using checks to circumvent selling premiums on certain platforms like PP, and I totally understand the desire to do that. It's a tough situation because you are disappointed you didn't get the book (understandably so). And we all need to understand the trying times we live in, I simply suggested changing to a different paying platform.

No worries. Actually, I should have made it clear that I wasn’t referring to you specifically, but since you mentioned the method of payment I thought I’d reiterate it for any doubters and/or newcomers who do not want to sift through the one hundred or so posts in this thread.

My recommendation for the seller, and anyone selling books is- to think long and hard about whether or not you want to part with the book...as a buyer (mostly) it's hard to fathom someone selling a book and then all of a sudden deciding not to sell it, as a seller (occasionally and mostly to friends) I can understand the desire to retain a book, especially if your suddenly overcome with the nostalgia that made you buy the book in the first place.

35 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

This thread went in a weird direction. 

What's the status of the check? Still in the USPS void? 

Yes, as far as I know. I only know it has not been cashed. I haven’t canceled it yet, as I wanted to see if the seller might have a change of heart.

Just now, thewritestuff said:
37 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

This thread went in a weird direction. 

What's the status of the check? Still in the USPS void? 

Yes, as far as I know. I only know it has not been cashed. I haven’t canceled it yet, as I wanted to see if the seller might have a change of heart.

The seller has visited this site regularly.  One would think he would chime in.  If he doesn't do it soon, I say add him to the list.  

10 hours ago, G G ® said:
10 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Just because the majority is on the opposing side of you doesn’t make the opposing side a mob.

I totally agree, but the behaviour of some individuals has been immature, purile and downright beneath the standards of what I would expect from some here. It beggars belief how the mods can bring down the hammer for the most trivial of reasons but choose to ignore certain despicable behaviours because no-one mentions a certain taboo subject. 

Moderation doesn't police sales. They don't get involved. The members do. That's why we're having this discussion and they aren't. 

22 minutes ago, thewritestuff said:

It's highly unlikely. John sells when he wants to raise funds for something exceptional. He reached his desired limit and decided to keep that book. It wasn't personal towards you, but he did decide the consequence was acceptable and kept the book. In the event the check is in the wrong hands, you should cancel. He's likely not changing his mind, especially after this ostracization. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I'm sorry this happened to you ... I once had a money order go missing and had a book I really wanted relisted and sold to someone else. 

One other point about Paypal... some sellers don't like the possibility of getting a charge back as late as 6 months after the purchase. I'm one of them... I'm not running a comic book escrow service. 

Just now, Foolkiller said:

This is a lot of posts about something that I think really isn't worth it at this point.  Adding him based on the letter of the law is hard to argue with, even though I personally wouldn't do it nor do I think appropriate.  But there seems to be a majority who would add him and if that's the case, that's the community's decision.  The probation list isn't the be all end all and there'll be plenty of people who will deal with John regardless of this issue.  I say just end the discussion add him, and everyone move on at this point.  the philosophical argument isn't going to really change anyone's mind and the reality is, it's going to have almost no impact on him at all, as I think he's soured on ever selling here again anyway, so what difference does it make to add him.  Probably none, so let's just do it and be done with it.  

Agreed that the discussion has run its course.

There's a 72 hour window after nomination, which will come to a close early Saturday morning.

Unless @RICK STARR comes to add more to the interaction it seems like per the community and marketplace standards that RICK STARR will be placed on the PL pending him completing the transaction (again unless the buyer would accept any other resolution)