• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating RICK STARR
9 9

341 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, RaleighComicBookCollector said:

I am having trouble following the entirety of this string.  Is Rick Starr affiliated with Reese's Rare Comics?

No.  The book that was offered here on the boards, and the deal cancelled by the seller, is now being offered for more than twice as much on  Reese's Rare Comics site. 

4 minutes ago, RaleighComicBookCollector said:

I am having trouble following the entirety of this string.  Is Rick Starr affiliated with Reese's Rare Comics?

No, not to my knowledge.

4 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

No.  The book that was offered here on the boards, and the deal cancelled by the seller, is now being offered for more than twice as much on  Reese's Rare Comics site. 

Ah, so likely Rick sold the book to Reese's?  I understand now, thank you.  I've had very good experiences buying from Reece's over the years, wanted to confirm.

Just now, RaleighComicBookCollector said:

Ah, so likely Rick sold the book to Reese's?  I understand now, thank you.  I've had very good experiences buying from Reece's over the years, wanted to confirm.

Again no. It's likely on consignment.

50 minutes ago, RaleighComicBookCollector said:

Sorry, I should have made that clear from the get-go. In no way am I attempting to lump Reece's Rare Comics in with Rick Starr. I've never dealt with Reece, although we've chatted about his books from time to time, and as far as I can tell he seems like a straight shooter. 

51 minutes ago, october said:

It's always been strange to me. People totally flush their reputations and their ability to sell on these boards for such small amounts, relatively speaking. Hope the grand or two or whatever was worth it. 

*Not talking about Reece. Obviously they did nothing wrong. 

I agree wholeheartedly. I had purchased one book from him a few months earlier. If he hadn't pulled this stunt with the BB113, I would most definitely have been a repeat customer.

10 minutes ago, thewritestuff said:

Sorry, I should have made that clear from the get-go. In no way am I attempting to lump Reece's Rare Comics in with Rick Starr. I've never dealt with Reece, although we've chatted about his books from time to time, and as far as I can tell he seems like a straight shooter. 

Well, hopefully this last bit clarifies that you were indeed "screwed".   Makes you even question whether he even got the check or not.  If you tell one lie, you'll tell two.  If you'll tell two, well, on and on...

2 minutes ago, ChasingKingKirby said:

Well, hopefully this last bit clarifies that you were indeed "screwed".   Makes you even question whether he even got the check or not.  If you tell one lie, you'll tell two.  If you'll tell two, well, on and on...

He definitely got the check. He sent it back to me. Whether or not he had it all along--or, at the very least, earlier than he claimed--is still the subject of some speculation.

4 hours ago, RaleighComicBookCollector said:

Not that I know of. 

Rick Starr agreed to sell the book to thewritestuff.  Then told him he was cancelling because he decided to keep it.  And two months later it's for sale on Reececomics web site.  Clearly Mr Starr broke the contract with the buyer because he realized there was more money to be made.

4 hours ago, october said:

It's always beewnge to me. People totally flush their reputations and their ability to sell on these boards for such small amounts, relatively speaking. Hope the grand or two or whatever was worth it. 

*Not talking about Reece. Obviously they did nothing wrong. 

It would be epic if Rick Starr ran another sales thread on the boards.  I couldn't resist threadcrapping

This entire thread makes me sad; seriously sad.

Given the book is now listed for sale (at a significant increase) leaves little doubt (at least in my mind) that RS was motivated by $$$$ and not simply the desire to keep the book for his own collection.  Not that either reason would be acceptable, however, purely breaking your word for profit just makes me sad.  This was a deal made here on the boards (which is kind of like "family").  How does one get up in the morning and decide to cheat someone else, let alone cheat someone who is part of their "family"?  I am saddened by this.

I have never had a problem with Greg Reese.  In fact I have purchased from him a number of times.  I have always found him to be a good and honorable man.  A good faimly man.  I wonder if he knows about this entire situation and the history behind this book.  I believe Greg is a man who always honors his word and I would be curious to know his thoughts on this.  I would like to know if he would still be willing to list this book if he knew what RS had done.

@gregreece

On 1/30/2021 at 2:38 PM, Hudson said:

This entire thread makes me sad; seriously sad.

Given the book is now listed for sale (at a significant increase) leaves little doubt (at least in my mind) that RS was motivated by $$$$ and not simply the desire to keep the book for his own collection.  Not that either reason would be acceptable, however, purely breaking your word for profit just makes me sad.  This was a deal made here on the boards (which is kind of like "family").  How does one get up in the morning and decide to cheat someone else, let alone cheat someone who is part of their "family"?  I am saddened by this.

I have never had a problem with Greg Reese.  In fact I have purchased from him a number of times.  I have always found him to be a good and honorable man.  A good faimly man.  I wonder if he knows about this entire situation and the history behind this book.  I believe Greg is a man who always honors his word and I would be curious to know his thoughts on this.  I would like to know if he would still be willing to list this book if he knew what RS had done.

@gregreece

Agreed.  Would be quite interesting to hear ...

4 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Nothing personal here, but this is kind of water under the bridge at this point. Rick's on the list and Greg hasn't done anything and really should be left out of it. He rarely comes on the boards and is very unlikely to have heard about this. His reputation shouldn't be involved in this 2c 

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

+1

40 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Nothing personal here, but this is kind of water under the bridge at this point. Rick's on the list and Greg hasn't done anything and really should be left out of it. He rarely comes on the boards and is very unlikely to have heard about this. His reputation shouldn't be involved in this 2c 

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I can get behind that as well, Jimmers, but I think the spirit of Hudson's original post was precisely what you noted in the last line (i.e. Mr. Reece would not want a tarnished rep because of this! 2c)