Nominating RICK STARR
10 10

341 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

The probation list is not the HOS. 

Exactly. The seller is not being blacklisted from the boards. All this think-of-the-children-ing going into the seller's defense is silly. A deal was reneged upon. The buyer has, according to the rules to which we have all agreed, the clear right to nominate the seller for the PL until the situation is resolved in some fashion.

I'm willing to bet that a private PM between the buyer and seller could find some amicable solution, resulting in a shaking of hands and everyone moving on with their lives.

Unfortunately Rick Starr (or John or whatever his name is) appears unwilling to engage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

 

I'll give a real life example here.  A friend of mine here on the boards bought a book -- the seller, similar to John, had seller's regret -- and then reneged on the deal.  At first, my friend reacted the same way.  What should he do?  Should he pressure the seller (which wasn't going to result in him selling the book). Instead, he said listen, I get it.  not happy but I get it.  Could you please let me know when you do sell the book as I'd like to buy it then.  A year passed.  the book skyrocketed in value.  The seller decided it was time to sell and honored the OLD PRICE that he had listed and my friend got his book.  

 

Did @RICK STARR offer to do this? 

Did he offer to pay @thewritestuff whatever he made in the future off the book (assuming it continues to go up in value, which it seems destined to since the owner of the Heritage sold 6.0 copy has turned down an offer of $2033 via Heritage's "make an offer" platform. 

On an unrelated topic,  a CGC 7.5 copy of BB113 is going to be in auction this week on Heritage. Wonder what it will sell for, and if it will affect the market value of @RICK STARR's CGC 7.0 that he decided not to sell... 

Edited by miraclemet
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike many PL scenarios this one is not complicated. There is a clear person who is in the right and a clear person who is in the wrong. There is also an easy method to resolve it.

Why it hasn't been resolved is baffling.(shrug)

At this point I'm starting to wonder whether the seller still has the book. hm Because if he does then there is no reason why this whole situation has not been rectified.

Edited by Red84
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

Did @RICK STARR offer to do this? 

Did he offer to pay @thewritestuff whatever he made in the future off the book (assuming it continues to go up in value, which it seems destined to since the owner of the Heritage sold 6.0 copy has turned down an offer of $2033 via Heritage's "make an offer" platform. 

On an unrelated topic,  a CGC 7.5 copy of BB113 is going to be in auction this week on Heritage. Wonder what it will sell for, and if it will affect the market value of @RICK STARR's CGC 7.0 that he decided not to sell... 

I don’t have a dog in this fight but I just wanted to point out that the 6.0 on Heritage doesn’t have any offers. That’s just the default price Heritage set. The owner probably doesn’t even know about it.

A 7.0 sold for $2099 last month on clink. After clink’s cut the seller received close to the same amount Rick Starr was asking for his copy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lbcolefan said:

I don’t have a dog in this fight but I just wanted to point out that the 6.0 on Heritage doesn’t have any offers. That’s just the default price Heritage set. The owner probably doesn’t even know about it.

A 7.0 sold for $2099 last month on clink. After clink’s cut the seller received close to the same amount Rick Starr was asking for his copy.

Im honestly unclear about the heritage offer thing. I would have figured the default "offer" amount would have been based on the original sale price (which was $1560 last year)... I wonder how they get to $2028?  Maybe they have some inflation calculation? I assumed the $2028 came from someone making the offer of $2028 and the owner declined it so HA thought "well if anyone else is going to make an offer it probably should be more than the declined amount"... would love to know where it gets determined. 

Good to know about the other 7.0, I missed that one last month!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Im honestly unclear about the heritage offer thing. I would have figured the default "offer" amount would have been based on the original sale price (which was $1560 last year)... I wonder how they get to $2028?  Maybe they have some inflation calculation? I assumed the $2028 came from someone making the offer of $2028 and the owner declined it so HA thought "well if anyone else is going to make an offer it probably should be more than the declined amount"... would love to know where it gets determined. 

Good to know about the other 7.0, I missed that one last month!

From what I recall, the sites don't let you make an offer below the prior winning bid plus a percentage. They want to discourage prices from going down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wombat said:

There are three recent nominations with a payer who didn't pay. Not a single person defended them and they were quickly added to the PL. Interesting which side of things and who people choose to defend. 

Exactly. As far as I'm concerned, once the 72 hours are up the seller is going to be added to the probation list and he can explain to future buyers that sometimes he just changes his mind 2 weeks after agreeing to a deal. I'm sure lots of buyers will be eager to tie up thousands of dollars for weeks with the possibility that they'll receive an email with, "meh, I'm keeping it."

NOTE - quote is not an actual quote of seller but I think it sums up his response to the buyer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't understand why it's so hard to be a seller around here lately.

Thought it was ridiculous when Agamoto pulled this stunt a week ago, but at least he had the "I'm new to all of this!" excuse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Exactly. As far as I'm concerned, once the 72 hours are up the seller is going to be added to the probation list and he can explain to future buyers that sometimes he just changes his mind 2 weeks after agreeing to a deal. I'm sure lots of buyers will be eager to tie up thousands of dollars for weeks with the possibility that they'll receive an email with, "meh, I'm keeping it."

NOTE - quote is not an actual quote of seller but I think it sums up his response to the buyer.

Actual quote:

"Wow! As I said to you, I am keeping the book for myself. I have collected, traded and sold books since 1977. I have an EXCELLENT reputation with many other collectors and dealers. Yes, Storms bought some books from me and what he decides what to do with them is his business. SO, there is NOTHING fishy going on, I recent that! It's MY BOOK, if I chose to keep it, its my prerogative. I have a 1256 positive (100%) feedback on Ebay. I don't what else to say. I DO NOT have your check!!! Sorry, you are upset. It's just a comic book, Jim." 

What's worse - the cavalier dismissals that I bolded, or the brow beating with the implied "I am better than you" resume?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seller: I have a book to sell,$1900

Buyer: "I'll take it"

Seller: Well,I decided to keep it ,but I'll give you dibs on it if I decide to sell.

 Dibs?? What are we,in 5th grade?

Wait.. there's more

Buyer: This disappointes me!!

Seller: It's my book. Go suck it. Wanna play hide n seek??

In all seriousness,I think it's PL worthy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So in a related story,

 

The overhang / old school soffit over my front door needs work done.   It is at least 50 - 60 years old and when it was repaired once under my grandmother's tenure as owner.  The guy that fixed it for her did not use pressurized wood and after it was "fixed" around ten years ago, it has buckled.  I wanted it done correctly and up to today's standards. 

So I had a guy recommended to me came by.  I asked him what he would do and he described how he would build it.  He took measurements, he gave me a price and I agreed.  He said he would get back to me with a price and the do it in the next couple of weeks if we agreed.  After a week I left a voicemail if he had arrived at a quote.  He texted me on October 6th as shown below.  I committed the money and time to this guy to do the job.  Well, here we are on October 29th.  Last week I had reached out two more times and I have not heard from him.  He has not returned my call.

We are approaching what is to be a cold winter and I wanted this done beforehand.   This week I have been trying to find someone to do a job, but I cannot get anyone that:

  1. Is willing to work on a house in the village. 
  2. Wants to do the job.
  3. Can do the job before the winter. 

Am I out any money?  No

But this guy has effectively screwed me over.  It has been raining all day and it has buckled out some more.  So, yeah, I will tell me doctor that his friend has disappeared and while I am not going to make a post specifically about him no showing, I will keep an eye out on the village message board if anyone recommends him.  Because if they do, I will mention that I am still waiting for him to do the work that we agreed to.  If he was never going to do the work, he should have told me and I would have moved on to someone else. 

 

So what's the purpose of this post? 

 

If you say you are going to do something and you flake, you go on the PL until you make it right. 

 

 

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 5.46.04 PM.png

 

 

Edited by Buzzetta
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
10 10