• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sealed comic?

6 posts in this topic

I've got a comic that is still sealed and inside a cardboard slipcase, would it be better to send it off as is (and have CGC open it up) or do it myself and avoid any extra handling? 

This maybe a silly question, but it's the first time I've sent a book like this off to be graded! 

To answer the original post, if it is something like what I have posted, I would open it because I would want to keep the box (and the other contents supposedly inside). If CGC gets something in a bag, small cardboard slipcase or otherwise, I am pretty sure they just take it out and throw the rest away. For me, I would keep the above box but I may be the minority in that. 

Check out CGC's page here.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/collectibles-that-are-not-encapsulated/

The salient point is:"CGC will not certify...poly-bagged collectibles. All collectibles must be taken out of poly bags before being graded."  A poly-bagged comic is one that is manufactured with a sealed bag around it, as one would see with the bagged versions of Superman #75, McFarlane's Spider-man #1 and many other comics.  If you're not familiar with poly-bagged comics, a search of eBay for either of those items will show you want they look like.

Although a "cardboard slipcase" is rare, it seams reasonable to expect that CGC would treat it the same way they treat comics that are sealed in polybags. 

As I was writing this, HaDokKen wisely indicated that perhaps your comic is in a standard comic book bag and backing board.  Are you referring to a bag-and-board that was added after the comic's publication, by a comic book dealer or collector?  These are typically sealed on the back with tape, but some bags have an adhesive strip built into the flap.  If that's what you have, then it's fine (and recommended) that you leave the comic book in the bag and board when sending it.  You'll probably want to carefully remove the comic book before sending it, and inspect the comic to make sure there are no defects that are hidden by the bag.  If, after close inspection, the comic book is still worthy of sending in, then carefully seal it back in the bag and board before sending.

It's also important to know that the bag and board will not be returned to you.