• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants #98 Clipped!
3 3

69 posts in this topic

So I clipped the corner off a New Muntants #98...

I pulled this comic out of a collection and immediately saw a thumbnail-sized chew taken out of the bottom corner that went several pages deep. My options were to leave the unsightly rodent/bug evidence, or clip it so that it's at least uniform. 

It's not like I'd have sent it off anyway. Had that corner been perfect, it's still a mid-low grade even with a press. I'll sell it at some point. What do you think the clipping does to the price and would it have been better value-wise to keep the chew instead?

20201028_190616.jpg

20201028_190654.jpg

20201028_195957.jpg

The worst I ever saw was on antiques roadshow-couple was explaining how they painted over the 'ugly' black wrinkled finish on a cabinet.  One of the twins said 'by covering over the what was to you ugly finish this piece is now worth about $5000 instead of $120,000....

16 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

I think your comic collecting license needs to be suspended. You decided to damage the book even further to make it better?

But it was so g-r-o-s-s. Just the thought of some rat sitting there thinking, "Hmm, this comic tastes better than the others. It must be special." Well screw you, rat! I will erase all evidence of your existence. Wait. I didn't, did I? I've immortalized this rat! Noooo! 

2 minutes ago, Conacon said:

But it was so g-r-o-s-s. Just the thought of some rat sitting there thinking, "Hmm, this comic tastes better than the others. It must be special." Well screw you, rat! I will erase all evidence of your existence. Wait. I didn't, did I? I've immortalized this rat! Noooo! 

yeah, I stand by my original statement.

3 hours ago, Conacon said:

I get it, I really do, but my OCD can't handle a chunk vs a uniform cut. Someone help me. Just take the scissors. Take them. 

If its for your collection and not an attempt to improve for valuation reasons then you did the right thing.

Ps there's nothing like termites attacking your collection.  One of the highlights was pulling out a previously 7.5 Superman #36 that was now a stack of individual pages, with chew marks all around.

I completely shake my head at this, but can kind of see some of the reasoning.

This is kind of the same thing as when people have:

• Taped a 1940 book with a tear in 2010 to get a grade bump
  • scratched away half a cover exposing white raw paper to remove color touch leaving the book to look like a Dalmatian
  • considered tweezing out chunks on the edge of a trimmed cover so it would now be considered blue label with marvel chipping 

There have been others 

11 hours ago, Conacon said:

So I clipped the corner off a New Muntants #98...

I pulled this comic out of a collection and immediately saw a thumbnail-sized chew taken out of the bottom corner that went several pages deep. My options were to leave the unsightly rodent/bug evidence, or clip it so that it's at least uniform. 

It's not like I'd have sent it off anyway. Had that corner been perfect, it's still a mid-low grade even with a press. I'll sell it at some point. What do you think the clipping does to the price and would it have been better value-wise to keep the chew instead?

20201028_190616.jpg

20201028_190654.jpg

20201028_195957.jpg

Book looks like complete crap

Edited by BaronSamedi