• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants #98 Clipped!
3 3

69 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Conacon said:

So I clipped the corner off a New Muntants #98...

I pulled this comic out of a collection and immediately saw a thumbnail-sized chew taken out of the bottom corner that went several pages deep. My options were to leave the unsightly rodent/bug evidence, or clip it so that it's at least uniform. 

It's not like I'd have sent it off anyway. Had that corner been perfect, it's still a mid-low grade even with a press. I'll sell it at some point. What do you think the clipping does to the price and would it have been better value-wise to keep the chew instead?

20201028_190616.jpg

20201028_190654.jpg

20201028_195957.jpg

You can't 'clip' a book unless you get permission from the counsel. It is obvious this is a 'made' book. Remember Pesci in Goodfellas? Allegedly he clipped an Amazing Fantasy 15 without permission.

Tommy_DeVito.png

Edited by BaronSamedi

I am imaging the bug chew there. Probably could have sold for $60-$80 or so with the chew. Someone would have paid to have a cheaper low grade copy.

This? Jeez if someone paid $20-40 I would be surprised. It just is so off putting. Like, if I saw someone selling it for $40, I would pass. First, if I get a copy I want it all there and lord knows there are zillions of theses. And at $40, to potentially even flip it would be hard. So yeah, def a poor decision. 

Reminds me when I was a kid I had hockey cards (don't worry, I know they were worthless and still are even if I hadn't done this) that I clipped the corners on because I though rounded corners would be less likely to catch and bend on things. Oh silly 7 year old me!

Edited by comicginger1789

7 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I am imaging the bug chew there. Probably could have sold for $60-$80 or so with the chew. Someone would have paid to have a cheaper low grade copy.

This? Jeez if someone paid $20-40 I would be surprised. It just is so off putting. Like, if I saw someone selling it for $40, I would pass. First, if I get a copy I want it all there and lord knows there are zillions of theses. And at $40, to potentially even flip it would be hard. So yeah, def a poor decision. 

Reminds me when I was a kid I had hockey cards (don't worry, I know they were worthless and still are even if I hadn't done this) that I clipped the corners on because I though rounded corners would be less likely to catch and bend on things. Oh silly 7 year old me!

I can see someone paying like 80 for this even with the clipping

1 minute ago, silversufer27 said:

I can see someone paying like 80 for this even with the clipping

Yeah there are enough fans I am sure someone would. I think selling it raw is the only way to go. Grading would get the restored label and on a book like this, good luck selling a likely 3.5-4.0 copy restored. 

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I should have taken a before pic. The chew took up most of that corner. I wasn't expecting $20-40 anyway the way it looked. To be honest,  it's in pretty rough shape. I know the pics don't do it justice, but I was ready to chalk it up to tree-fiddy. 

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah there are enough fans I am sure someone would. I think selling it raw is the only way to go. Grading would get the restored label and on a book like this, good luck selling a likely 3.5-4.0 copy restored. 

yeah I wouldn't pay 80 but there's someone out there who would pay 80 imo

5 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah, slabbing never crossed my mind. I was just asking orginally what the clipping would do to the grade. Someone posted a 0.5 drop, but I expected more than that. 

18 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

Read the book and be done with it, or go back and read it again and again and again!

Now that you mention it, I bought one when it came out back in the day and remember thinking Deadpool was just another guy with guns and alot of pockets. Now it's a little surreal to read since Domino was the big appearance of the book and that's totally flipped around. I think it turned out that wasn't even her anyway. 

28 minutes ago, Conacon said:

Now that you mention it, I bought one when it came out back in the day and remember thinking Deadpool was just another guy with guns and alot of pockets. Now it's a little surreal to read since Domino was the big appearance of the book and that's totally flipped around. I think it turned out that wasn't even her anyway. 

You might be right!

2 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:
2 hours ago, joeypost said:

Where I come from "clipped" means something very different. 

Next thing you know, he will be 'wacking' the book!

I gave my comic a pair of cement galoshes. Was that bad?

18 hours ago, Conacon said:

But it was so g-r-o-s-s. Just the thought of some rat sitting there thinking, "Hmm, this comic tastes better than the others. It must be special." Well screw you, rat! I will erase all evidence of your existence. Wait. I didn't, did I? I've immortalized this rat! Noooo! 

Hail the mighty rodent...

1192034913_kingrat.jpg.7c7d2e2487bb15b1e9f2decfa1d6f9a4.jpg