• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants #98 Clipped!
3 3

69 posts in this topic

I wouldn't judge all that harshly without a "before" photo, as the OP mentioned was not available.  The damage he stated went right to where he trimmed, so it's not like he made a major major alteration.  Vermin and insect damage can be REALLY disturbing to look at.

Just my opinion, I've contemplated this kind of cut with a mini paper cutter, but only for a single page or a cover.

@The Lions Den will appreciate this one... 

I have heard... which in itself might be third hand information from who told me this, that someone once took a 1.0 copy of a book that was in rough shape with a notation of top edge trimmed with amateur CT that was seen around the top logo.  Since a blue .5 was worth more than a purple trimmed copy, the story goes that they tore off half of the cover on the book to eliminate the CT and trimmed edge top edge and resubmitted it as "remaindered." 

People do ridiculous stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I have heard... which in itself might be third hand information from who told me this, that someone once took a 1.0 copy of a book that was in rough shape with a notation of top edge trimmed with amateur CT that was seen around the top logo.  Since a blue .5 was worth more than a purple trimmed copy, the story goes that they tore off half of the cover on the book to eliminate the CT and trimmed edge top edge and resubmitted it as "remaindered." 

I’ve had people ask me to take sandpaper to the outside edge of a book that looked too perfect. Even before it was confirmed to have been trimmed. 

8 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I’ve had people ask me to take sandpaper to the outside edge of a book that looked too perfect. Even before it was confirmed to have been trimmed. 

And here I am worrying if I am ever too much trouble with people... 

That's balls... I can't... I honestly just can't... 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I do appreciate this story...it certainly has the "wow" factor. 

There are times where you're simply blown away by the things that people do, especially in this hobby. The one I can never forget was a book that had a color copy cover that was color touched. So a restored color copy cover. 

I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue...  

1 hour ago, EC Star&Bar said:

I wouldn't judge all that harshly without a "before" photo, as the OP mentioned was not available.  The damage he stated went right to where he trimmed, so it's not like he made a major major alteration.  Vermin and insect damage can be REALLY disturbing to look at.

Just my opinion, I've contemplated this kind of cut with a mini paper cutter, but only for a single page or a cover.

*shudder*  

7 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I do appreciate this story...it certainly has the "wow" factor. 

There are times where you're simply blown away by the things that people do, especially in this hobby. The one I can never forget was a book that had a color copy cover that was color touched. So a restored color copy cover. 

I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue...  

What did the slab notes read on something like that?  Did it make note of CT on the color copy? 

26 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I think this is more common then people think.  I've talked to other conservers who told me they've gotten similar requests. 

Muck up the edge more to "undo" trimming. 

7 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I think this is more common then people think.  I've talked to other conservers who told me they've gotten similar requests. 

Muck up the edge more to "undo" trimming. 

There was a guy months ago that openly proposed tweezing the edges to make a trimmed copy look chipped. 

51 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

What did the slab notes read on something like that?  Did it make note of CT on the color copy? 

My recollection is that it was given the classic COLOR COPY COVER notation along with "small amount of color touch on cover," but by that point my nerves had been irreparably damaged and I was reduced to grading low grade copies of Magnus Robot Fighter for the rest of the day...  lol 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

One other point on this... 

Since professionally like @joeypost are justifiably saying no to these requests, think about what's happening.

Unprofessional people who put profits ahead of integrity are sitting in their basements taking sandpaper to GA and SA comic books. 

:pullhair:

2 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

good to know. And what is your eBay handle again?

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I had one good one where a guy sends me 5-6 key books with detached centerfolds. Asks if I can "get them " attached again. I said only real way was to tape the tear around the staples, bu CGC will treat the book as if the tape wasn't there, resulting in the same grade and notes. 

He proceeds to say that I misunderstood him. He wanted me to remove the centerfold, take the next wrap out. Put the centerfold back in out of order, and then the wrap where the centerfold should be. His reasoning...who follows the story or looks at page numbers. 

Needless to say I didn't do the work asked, but I did let CGC know of our conversation. 

:whatthe: :whatthe: :whatthe:

He may be surprised to learn that CGC graders actually do look at the pages and count the page numbers.

And I certainly appreciate your honesty and integrity, and I'm sure CGC appreciated the heads-up...  (worship) 

On 10/28/2020 at 11:04 PM, Conacon said:

But it was so g-r-o-s-s. Just the thought of some rat sitting there thinking, "Hmm, this comic tastes better than the others. It must be special." Well screw you, rat! I will erase all evidence of your existence. Wait. I didn't, did I? I've immortalized this rat! Noooo! 

D77A39F2-CCB7-43AD-BA13-B14601689697.gif

18 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

good to know. And what is your eBay handle again?

I've never sold anything on ebay, only a buyer.  Period.  You act as if we're talking about Action #1.  Do you know the meaning of "contemplated?"  I haven't cut anything.  All I'm saying is if you're unfortunate enough to come across that kind of damage, your options are limited:  ugly book being the first.

Edited by EC Star&Bar

37 minutes ago, EC Star&Bar said:

I've never sold anything on ebay, only a buyer.  Period.  You act as if we're talking about Action #1.  Do you know the meaning of "contemplated?"  I haven't cut anything.  All I'm saying is if you're unfortunate enough to come across that kind of damage, your options are limited:  ugly book being the first.

all good man. Not trying to start anything and apologies for the snark. Peace n love :foryou:

No apology needed.  I admit to being oversensitive on this because back in 1987, termites got into some of my boxed toys from circa '69-'72 (access from a wooden table).  Mostly just lost parts of boxes and some instruction sheets, but it's not something easy to get over.  Anyway, I'm always glad to talk with comics fans and you're no exception.  Thanks for taking the trouble to keep the peace, nice gesture.

21 hours ago, joeypost said:

I had one good one where a guy sends me 5-6 key books with detached centerfolds. Asks if I can "get them " attached again. I said only real way was to tape the tear around the staples, bu CGC will treat the book as if the tape wasn't there, resulting in the same grade and notes. 

He proceeds to say that I misunderstood him. He wanted me to remove the centerfold, take the next wrap out. Put the centerfold back in out of order, and then the wrap where the centerfold should be. His reasoning...who follows the story or looks at page numbers. 

Needless to say I didn't do the work asked, but I did let CGC know of our conversation. 

I think I’ve heard this before and possibly from the person that requested this of you.   It might be the same person who spoke of remaindering a book.