• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodbye, movie theaters
3 3

114 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, piper said:

Some great movies there.  I would add Vampire Lovers on the Hammer side (for similar reasons that you ranked Twins of Evil so highly).

I agree wholeheartedly with your Vince Prince picks.  I also like Masque of the Red Death, House of Usher, and House of Wax.

Oh for sure, Vampire Lovers is way up there for me as well! Really, the whole Karnstein Trilogy is terrific. (And, again, Ingrid Pitt! :x)

Absolutely, those are all great. House of Wax really got him going with the villainous roles, and it's still a hoot. Red Death and House of Usher would be my runners up for the Corman Poe movies, for sure. They're all great, really ,except for the Raven, which I just can't ever really get into. But Red Death, Pit ,Usher, Tomb of Ligeia, all top notch, and Vinnie is great in all of them!

On 11/9/2020 at 5:13 PM, F For Fake said:

Oh for sure, Vampire Lovers is way up there for me as well! Really, the whole Karnstein Trilogy is terrific. (And, again, Ingrid Pitt! :x)

Absolutely, those are all great. House of Wax really got him going with the villainous roles, and it's still a hoot. Red Death and House of Usher would be my runners up for the Corman Poe movies, for sure. They're all great, really ,except for the Raven, which I just can't ever really get into. But Red Death, Pit ,Usher, Tomb of Ligeia, all top notch, and Vinnie is great in all of them!

Great choices! I’m a Phibes fan too! :hi:

Others I like are Vampire Circus, The Asphix and Dr. Terrors House of Horrors.

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

Great choices! I’m a Phibes fan too! :hi:

Others I like are Vampire Circus, The Asphix and Dr. Terrors House of Horrors.

Nice! It's funny, I like Vampire Circus as well, but it's not one you see many people bring up as a favorite!

The Asphyx is an interesting one, I remember seeing the case of the VHS tape on the shelves at the rental place when I was a kid, and for some reason it TERRIFIED me! Watched it as an adult and liked it a lot, but I have no idea what I was so scared of. 

39 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Nice! It's funny, I like Vampire Circus as well, but it's not one you see many people bring up as a favorite!

The Asphyx is an interesting one, I remember seeing the case of the VHS tape on the shelves at the rental place when I was a kid, and for some reason it TERRIFIED me! Watched it as an adult and liked it a lot, but I have no idea what I was so scared of. 

I’ve seen the Asphix under a different title “Spirit of the Dead” too IIRC. The spirit they capture is pretty scary. Another fav of mine is Horror Express with Telly Savalas. I think that was Hammer...

8 minutes ago, Jayman said:

I’ve seen the Asphix under a different title “Spirit of the Dead” too IIRC. The spirit they capture is pretty scary. Another fav of mine is Horror Express with Telly Savalas. I think that was Hammer...

Horror Express if fun! I've got it on Blu Ray. Great cast, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Telly Savalas. It think it's  actually a Spanish film production (or Spanish/British), so not a Hammer, but they definitely were going for that Hammer vibe, especially by loading it with Cushing and Lee. In fact, a lot of the horror films of that era, the British ones, whether they're Hammer, Amicus, etc share a lot of cast-mates and tone. It was a very fun period for horror flicks!

45 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Horror Express if fun! I've got it on Blu Ray. Great cast, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Telly Savalas. It think it's  actually a Spanish film production (or Spanish/British), so not a Hammer, but they definitely were going for that Hammer vibe, especially by loading it with Cushing and Lee. In fact, a lot of the horror films of that era, the British ones, whether they're Hammer, Amicus, etc share a lot of cast-mates and tone. It was a very fun period for horror flicks!

This sub topic of Hammer/horror flicks is stirring great movie theater memories. Remember the double-feature anyone? I remember being dropped off at the theater with my older sister to see House of Dark Shadows and Roman Polański‘s Fearless Vampire Killers! :x

Edit: I know either of these movies aren’t Hammer films but just from that era...

Edited by Jayman

Also the movie theater (long since gone, but now revised as an arts and entertainment theater), was the Rivoli theater in Rutherford, NJ. I had this grand chandelier that had thousands of crystals in it. It was bright white before the movie started, then dimmed to a blood red signaling the film’s start before going dark. I found a pic of it online. It was a giant light and one of my favorite memories of the theater. As a kid it reminded me of the chandelier from The Phantom of the Opera and was afraid to sit under it for fear of the phantom cutting it down! 

43DA19F4-FBE2-420C-8ACC-F33EC490ED24.jpeg

On 11/6/2020 at 8:27 PM, csaag said:

My NE Philly theater was the Orleans.  Just a 2 block walk

AMC Orleans 8

That's where I saw Superman 2 on opening night with the incredible audience response. I loved the Orleans theater. The last movie I saw there was Superman Returns.

On 11/9/2020 at 5:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I know that not everyone can afford it, but the more expensive theaters cripple behavioral antics. Places like MJR actually encourage people being obnoxious. I appreciate MJR for what they did when The Dark Knight came out, but I am so glad that Emagine blew them out of the water years ago. I can go to a theater knowing that fellow moviegoers won't/can't act like they're 5 years old.

What theater is MJR?

On 11/12/2020 at 5:44 PM, Jayman said:

Edit: I know either of these movies aren’t Hammer films but just from that era..

As a kid I also looked forward to watching the Amicus ‘Tales from the Crypt’ and ‘Vault of Horror’ anthology films.  A few years before I read any of the comics.

Edited by Ken Aldred

My local AMC just sent notice that my theater preference has been changed due to a theater closing.  I do not know if this is temporary and it is a temporary closure after it had reopened like 2 months ago, or it is permanent.  It is a very large theater with 24 screens and an Imax, it is really their flagship location in my area.

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

As a kid I also looked forward to watching the Amicus ‘Tales from the Crypt’ and ‘Vault of Horror’ anthology films.  A few years before I read any of the comics.

384EBE0D-9C24-4228-86A1-A2196C5F6844.jpeg

On 11/16/2020 at 5:17 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

MJR Digital Cinemas

Might be a Midwest company. They popped up as the public was bothered by the fact that AMC seemingly refused to upgrade their technology (screens, audio systems, and seating).

Ok. They seem to be only in one state.

With this virus thing, if anything it will make people get their setups right for the next possible one. Maybe movie release pricing will be more reasonable then as well.

3 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

Ok. They seem to be only in one state.

With this virus thing, if anything it will make people get their setups right for the next possible one. Maybe movie release pricing will be more reasonable then as well.

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

I still enjoy going to the movies.  It's a fun escape and still feels more like an experience than watching movies at my own house.  

I have a membership to AMC's A-List.  $20/month and I can see up to 3 movies per week.  Because of how few new movies are playing, AMC is playing a lot of older movies.  Over the weekend, apparently I was the only one who wanted to go see John Wick 1 & 2.  I essentially got private screenings for both (I saw the third one when it came out and it made me want to see the first two).  I know that doesn't bode well for the theater, but I'm trying to enjoy these experiences while I can.  

The bigger AMC near me recently upgraded one of their auditoriums to their Dolby auditoriums.  They gave a tech demo before the movie began and it was pretty impressive.  They have speakers positioned everywhere in the theatre for that immersive experience and they touted excellent picture quality, really highlighting exactly how black the black on the screen can be...at one point the text pops up that says "Yes, the projector is still on".  Plus the stadium seats had powered reclining capabilities complete with footrests.  I saw Freaky there last week and it was a good experience.