• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Received two copies of the exact same book from CGC one 9.6 one 9.8. Can you spot the 9.8?
3 3

54 posts in this topic

I think the covers are cut slightly differently but I have no idea if the 9.6 or the 9.8 is the "right" proportions or whatnot. And maybe the staples on the 9.6 are doing something on the spine? But I dunno. The 9.6 looks a tad better than a 9.8 I have (with its one defect). 

So what are the odds, in anyone’s estimation, that if I submit the 9.8 out to this Scott’s Collectables CGC signing with Jimenez/Tynion that it comes back 9.8? 50/50? Maybe I should send the 9.6 and hope I get the 9.8? Lol

ill update this thread if I do

5 hours ago, Dimez said:

Just about Everyone was wrong lol 

I didn’t mess with the pics and feel free to check the registry  

In the end, and I’m not a seasoned grader by any means, I went over these pretty well before submission and thought they would grade the same and I’d just like to have notes so I can understand the difference  

1415BCC6-8074-4449-A739-E935F522A4CB.jpeg

B7D31901-F205-450E-861C-93AF64B47E37.jpeg

0B845CE7-900D-4B96-A913-2F7690840C2A.jpeg

DBC1E457-937A-44F0-A05C-343EAFD04C1E.jpeg

doh!

3 hours ago, Dimez said:

So what are the odds, in anyone’s estimation, that if I submit the 9.8 out to this Scott’s Collectables CGC signing with Jimenez/Tynion that it comes back 9.8? 50/50? Maybe I should send the 9.6 and hope I get the 9.8? Lol

ill update this thread if I do

I have no experience with SS, but advice I've read from others is don't Crack a book with the expectation it will come back the same grade. All of the handling just leaves it exposed to risk. 

I would send a raw copy of if anything,  and the 9.6. Just don't be too disappointed if it turns into a 9.4

I wonder if there's a disadvantage to sending two of the same books in the same shipment. If each book was seen alone, they might have each warranted a 9.8. But when compared side-by-side, it would be easier to notice a tiny flaw in one of them.

Would graders compare side-by side like that, or is that not done?

4 hours ago, Aces88 said:

I wonder if there's a disadvantage to sending two of the same books in the same shipment. If each book was seen alone, they might have each warranted a 9.8. But when compared side-by-side, it would be easier to notice a tiny flaw in one of them.

Would graders compare side-by side like that, or is that not done?

@The Lions Den

How many graders does CGC have? Suppose they have 100. Or maybe its only 50, I don't know. Are you telling me that 50 guys would grade every book the same? Nope. You are gambling whether you get the guy who grades oh so slightly more harsher or the guy who grades oh so slightly more lenient. 

The real geniuses are CGC who decided to monopolize on the fact that comics are graded on a scale that is so minute at the top end. And the result is people willing to send in anything close for the hope of a 9.8 or heaven forbid, 9.9 or 10.0. You are trusting them to all equally see things the way you see them. CGC doesn't have to worry about being accountable, aside from making sure at any point they have your book, they don't damage it. That is it (and maybe making sure a grader doesn't grade a VG book VF and vice versa). The rest, they can justify.

You can press that 9.6 book again and submit and maybe it comes back 9.6. And so you try again. And again. And maybe, just maybe, it gets a grader on an off-day or a rushed day or the lenient grader or whatever and he says "yeah this looks perfect" and you get the 9.8. Is CGC going to refund you the hassle it took to get there? Nope. They can't lose. 

Edited by comicginger1789

Comparing two copies of the same book can be useful, but under normal circumstances it's not usually done when trying to determine the proper grade.

As far as these two copies, it's possible there's a flaw on the 9.6 that can't be seen through the holder, such as a minor bend or a slight finger smear on that lovely black back cover (black covers are notorious for having finger stains, and it's difficult to remove them completely without leaving some kind of oily residue). 

But without any notes, your guess is as good as mine...   :whistle:

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm sure there are times they wish they had that many...

So it is much smaller? 20? 25?

I honestly have no idea. Obviously the smaller it is, the better chance of having them all be consistent on most books. I feel like 20-25 would be the prime number range for getting a group of men/women to agree on something. Much more than that and I feel like you are gonna have issues getting consensus grades from everyone. 

6 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Comparing two copies of the same book can be useful, but under normal circumstances it's not usually done when trying to determine the proper grade.

As far as these two copies, it's possible there's a flaw on the 9.6 that can't be seen through the holder, such as a minor bend or a slight finger smear on that lovely black back cover (black covers are notorious for having finger stains, and it's difficult to remove them completely without leaving some kind of oily residue). 

But without any notes, your guess is as good as mine...   :whistle:

Or even something wrong with an interior page. Sometimes people forget that CGC actually opens the book and inspects the pages. If one has a slight flaw and the other is flawless well there ya go!

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I honestly have no idea. Obviously the smaller it is, the better chance of having them all be consistent on most books. I feel like 20-25 would be the prime number range for getting a group of men/women to agree on something. Much more than that and I feel like you are gonna have issues getting consensus grades from everyone. 

keep going lower....

Just now, Funnybooks said:
2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

keep going lower....

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-graders/