• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the 2003-2016 cases all like this?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

There seems to be some sticker membrane holding the book in place, was that a practice from many years ago (graded in 2006).

And are the sides of these cases supposed to be REALLY open, like easy to slide a piece of paper into the case? overall this case is pretty open on one side and the case is warped. A bit bummed tbh...

https://imgur.com/a/zz5MXDt

CGC graded the book, encapsulated it, put a hard shell around it to further protect it.  It's not wall art.  Just like an armored troop carrier is not the prettiest of vehicles, but better to be in one than standing next to it.

I am so tired of OCD collectors complaining about a 1/2" Newton ring, a small scuff on the case, a tiny particle of plastic stuck between the shell and the inner capsule, etc.  Hey, how's that comic?  Safe and in great shape?  Then shut up.

9 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

CGC graded the book, encapsulated it, put a hard shell around it to further protect it.  It's not wall art.  Just like an armored troop carrier is not the prettiest of vehicles, but better to be in one than standing next to it.

I am so tired of OCD collectors complaining about a 1/2" Newton ring, a small scuff on the case, a tiny particle of plastic stuck between the shell and the inner capsule, etc.  Hey, how's that comic?  Safe and in great shape?  Then shut up.

Nobody asked for your opinion on the collector. I asked a question about the book and case, you didn't even answer that. You don't even have to use your legs, you can use your thumb to scroll the f off.

Edited by nthman

10 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

:facepalm:

B21AC7E7-B492-4805-B767-A005DC5553A6.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

2 hours ago, 333 said:
7 hours ago, KCOComics said:

The holder is normal for sure. 

I don't think you should be able to slide anything into the side of an older slab. I'll take another look at mine,  but they should be pretty sealed. 

The older slabs are not sealed on the sides and you should be able to slide a 3×5 card in there. That's how they used to get rid of Newton rings.

You can also slide a backer board in there to get rid of Newton rings on the older cases.

13 hours ago, nthman said:

There seems to be some sticker membrane holding the book in place, was that a practice from many years ago (graded in 2006).

And are the sides of these cases supposed to be REALLY open, like easy to slide a piece of paper into the case? overall this case is pretty open on one side and the case is warped. A bit bummed tbh...

https://imgur.com/a/zz5MXDt

The part you've highlighted is a "spacer".  They're not used in every CGC case, but they keep the comic from sliding around in cases that aren't a perfect fit for the size of the comic.  The "spacer" insert is really common (and can be much bigger) on odd-shaped books like early Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

789601275_1011101002_12001.jpg.9c7fc0f69b1dbea7ec9bc9897ea619e8.jpg

Edited by valiantman

12 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

These cases are often hyped up to be 'impenetrable', usually by those trying to sell them. When someone unfamiliar with them sees what is being described here, they wonder how this can be.  It isn't until someone looks into it that they learn the facts.

6 hours ago, nthman said:

Nobody asked for your opinion on the collector. I asked a question about the book and case, you didn't even answer that. You don't even have to use your legs, you can use your thumb to scroll the f off.

I didn't answer the question because @ADAMANTIUM had answered it in the post ahead.  I did go off on a tangent about pickiness in general, a result of recent frustrations, but shouldn't have.  In taking your advice, I found scrolling with my thumb to be awkward, but I am only using a typical mouse with center wheel.

3 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

I didn't answer the question because @ADAMANTIUM had answered it in the post ahead.  I did go off on a tangent about pickiness in general, a result of recent frustrations, but shouldn't have.  In taking your advice, I found scrolling with my thumb to be awkward, but I am only using a typical mouse with center wheel.

I was too harsh in trying to be a bigger a-hole, so apologies on my end.

Edited by nthman

4 minutes ago, nthman said:

I was too harsh in trying to be a bigger a-hole, so apologies on my end.

I'm glad you posted this topic.  I send books to CGC all the time, and sometimes they come back with that spacer in them, sometimes not.  I figured the spacer was part of the "older case" system, but I guess they use them as needed, as @valiantman suggests.

The first 20 or so books I got were all the newer cases.  I didn't even know there were earlier versions.  One day I received a fairly expensive book in the old style holder and when I took it out, and noticed I could crack the sides open, I thought for sure I had been scammed.  Until I came on here and found this:  

I immediately sent it in and got the new slab + a custom label.  Now that I know I try to avoid older slabs, but if I can't avoid it, I add $30 to the price ahead of time because my OCD will force me to reholder it.