• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When to walk from a deal
1 1

48 posts in this topic

What causes you to walk away from buying comics?

Are you and the dealer off on money or trade value? I’ve only traded two times with a dealer, once at a shop and once at C2E2. Both were great experiences and had no problems. Matter-of-fact the dealer that I traded with was our own @Dale Roberts he was awesome to work with!

Do you get a bad vibe from the seller? I had this happen to me at C2E2 two years ago and I walked away.

Are you not able to “flip” the book(s) to pay for the rest of the purchase? I know people frown on “flippers” but if you can buy a few books and sell some to keep 1 or more books, I dont see that as bad. 

Do you overthink your offer for a few days/weeks? This is my current problem! Ive had 3 weeks to sit and ponder it. I made an offer and Im waiting on a response since they are consignment books in a LCS. But I think my offer is actually too high compared to fair market value and actually regret making the offer. If the offer is excepted should I feel obligated to buy the books or should I still have the power to walk away?

And if you walk how often do you regret it? Have you went back? I know we all probably have stories on this one. I did this (again) two years ago at C2E2 and again a few weeks ago at a small show. I was looking at a dealers books there was a book that I always wanted I looked at the price and I thought that it might be in line with the current market so I didn’t even look it up and walked away. I went back to the same dealer with a friend of mine and I pointed the book out to him he looked at the book and prices and it was grossly under priced. Last sold of that book in grade was $400 + he got it for $120.

Are there any other factors that I might be missing? 

14 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Yes.

This

But, if you’ve been waiting 3 weeks to hear back and want out of the deal....contact the LCS and rescind your offer. 

How long are you expected to wait?(shrug)

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

I can see how people miss read that as I wrote the post incorrectly.

Here’s clarification I have been thinking about the books for three weeks (I did not make an offer) this week I made an offer it has only been two days but the shop is an hour away from my house and I was going there today.

Sorry for not posting this more clearly.

The shop had easy access to the seller, that was not an issue. 

I think I am getting cold feet because of 3 things 1) over analyzing my offer and sitting and stewing on the books

2) last sold prices and what’s currently (only 4 between the 2 books on ebay) available are all over the place. And they are low grade books 1.5-1.8 that im looking at ( only 1 of the books is in same grade on eaby but the ask $550 but last sold was $290 in better condition) they are PCH thats my second focus on my collection, EC being first.

3) Most importantly this would be the second biggest buy that I have done. 

Edited by Raze

1 hour ago, Raze said:

What causes you to walk away from buying comics?

Are you and the dealer off on money or trade value? I’ve only traded two times with a dealer, once at a shop and once at C2E2. Both were great experiences and had no problems. Matter-of-fact the dealer that I traded with was our own @Dale Roberts he was awesome to work with!

Do you get a bad vibe from the seller? I had this happen to me at C2E2 two years ago and I walked away.

Are you not able to “flip” the book(s) to pay for the rest of the purchase? I know people frown on “flippers” but if you can buy a few books and sell some to keep 1 or more books, I dont see that as bad. 

Do you overthink your offer for a few days/weeks? This is my current problem! Ive had 3 weeks to sit and ponder it. I made an offer and Im waiting on a response since they are consignment books in a LCS. But I think my offer is actually too high compared to fair market value and actually regret making the offer. If the offer is excepted should I feel obligated to buy the books or should I still have the power to walk away?

And if you walk how often do you regret it? Have you went back? I know we all probably have stories on this one. I did this (again) two years ago at C2E2 and again a few weeks ago at a small show. I was looking at a dealers books there was a book that I always wanted I looked at the price and I thought that it might be in line with the current market so I didn’t even look it up and walked away. I went back to the same dealer with a friend of mine and I pointed the book out to him he looked at the book and prices and it was grossly under priced. Last sold of that book in grade was $400 + he got it for $120.

Are there any other factors that I might be missing? 

I've done many trades, both with dealers and even here on the boards. My approach is always to trade for the fun of it, while trying to get in the ballpark of fair value going both ways. Once one party starts blatantly overvaluing their stuff or getting into exact equivalent prices of things then I walk. 

1 hour ago, Raze said:

I can see how people miss read that as I wrote the post incorrectly.

Here’s clarification I have been thinking about the books for three weeks (I did not make an offer) this week I made an offer it has only been two days but the shop is an hour away from my house and I was going there today.

Sorry for not posting this more clearly.

The shop had easy access to the seller, that was not an issue. 

I think I am getting cold feet because of 3 things 1) over analyzing my offer and sitting and stewing on the books

2) last sold prices and what’s currently (only 4 between the 2 books on ebay) available are all over the place. And they are low grade books 1.5-1.8 that im looking at ( only 1 of the books is in same grade on eaby but the ask $550 but last sold was $290 in better condition) they are PCH thats my second focus on my collection, EC being first.

3) Most importantly this would be the second biggest buy that I have done. 

Appreciate the clarification.

I think at this point you have to wait a few days.  Maybe they come back with a counter, and you can then pass.

I think its ok to pull your offer prior to getting a response; if so do it as quickly as possible. But its not ok to pull it and lower your offer; not worth the relationship to see how it plays out. Just walk from these at that point. (Only revisit if they sit forever, especially if they come back to you. And then fully explain why you pulled and walked -- you got excited, offered too much, etc but did not want to offend them with a lower offer immediately after pulling your initial one, etc....If they are in fact overpriced and this happens to play out that they sit for this reason, hopefully they will appreciate how you approached them at the time that they thought the higher price was the right price.)

But if they accept before you get a chance to pull your offer, you should honor your offer, IMO. 

If I don’t need it or like it I walk. 

If I may never see it again I jump on the opportunity. 

when you’e in your old age you might not regret passing on a $5 priced comic that was worth $30 but you may regret passing on a $200 priced comic worth $20,000. Something like that. 

5 hours ago, Raze said:

You’re problem is not a comic problem. You’re definitely thinking too much. you should not feel obligating in this situation. The LCS is a business and they have probably been in these type of scenarios before. Target doesn’t get mad when a customer puts the toothpaste back on the shelf. Your LCS may however be mad if you took out a big stack or pile of comics and don’t put them back in the correct places if you don’t purchase any

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

If I don’t need it or like it I walk. 

If I may never see it again I jump on the opportunity. 

when you’e in your old age you might not regret passing on a $5 priced comic that was worth $30 but you may regret passing on a $200 priced comic worth $20,000. Something like that. 

Why would you pass on either of those?