• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When to walk from a deal
1 1

48 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

another reason to walk away:

the buyer expects to get a massive discount because they are buying multiple books. Except all the books are major keys.

Isn't it hard to walk away if you are at your table selling?  I generally find there is a bit of awkward silence,  I basically take the stack and start putting them back on the wall.

I prefer the "lean in" guy who asks me if I want to "move them" followed by the lowball offer.

I then "move them" back onto the wall

Edited by blazingbob

51 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Isn't it hard to walk away if you are at your table selling?  I generally find there is a bit of awkward silence,  I basically take the stack and start putting them back on the wall.

I prefer the "lean in" guy who asks me if I want to "move them" followed by the lowball offer.

I then "move them" back onto the wall

yeah, the stack contains ASM 300, Daredevil #1, and a Fantastic Four 48 and the buyer expects a "bulk discount". 

Or the guy who seriously lowballed me on an Avengers 4 while there was another buyer standing there waiting for his turn to make an offer on the same book.

If a deal has been struck, it is bad to walk away unless something changes. If I agree to a price and seller agrees to a price, I am paying said price and seller is giving me said items upon which said price was agreed upon.

Sometimes, I will walk away from a negotiation. That is different. If I don't like the price, I won't pay. If I feel like I may get buyer's remorse, I stay away. Simple as that. Take your time to research and know what you are buying before ya buy it. 

I imagine like many board members, as a teenager, around 13 to 16 years old, I overpaid for DC, Marvel, EC, etc., keys because, as the post directly above this one notes, I failed to do my research. Of course, as "luck" would have it, those keys, 98-99% of them still raw after all these years, are worth multiples of what I purchased them for. Of course, it could have gone the other way and my "$100.00" purchase could today be worth $25.00.  

On 11/2/2020 at 3:29 PM, Artboy99 said:

yeah, the stack contains ASM 300, Daredevil #1, and a Fantastic Four 48 and the buyer expects a "bulk discount". 

Or the guy who seriously lowballed me on an Avengers 4 while there was another buyer standing there waiting for his turn to make an offer on the same book.

Messaged you