• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chipped Slab Advice
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I bought my first slab today. I'll start sending my own in to slab one of these days, but this one was a good one to start with. I've read a reprint somewhere and thought this was a nice piece of history. 

Only thing is, there is a big chip/cracked corner. What does that do to the value overall?

I paid little enough that I could just eat the cost and keep the slab to display, but I'd like to hear some thoughts on what this kind of damage does to it?

20201101_152542.jpg

20201101_152644.jpg

20201101_152654.jpg

20201101_152753.jpg

One key point here is the cost to get it reslabbed. Sometimes people will quote you only $15 to get it reslabbed but it will cost between $50-68 to get 1 book reslabbed if you send it in by itself. I have filed several priority mail insurance claims due to receiving a cracked slab in the mail due to rough handling by the post office.

$15 shipping to CGC+ $5 handling fee + $15 reholdering fee + $15 ship back from CGC via FEDEX or $34 registered mail.

The seller showed me the damage on the spot. He's a reliable flea market guy who has sold me at least a hundred comics in the past year or two. 

Showing my rookie-ness here: what's the reholder fee? 

Sounds like I may keep this one to display. The books I bought this with make it a throw-in at this point. 

The reholder fee is what CGC would charge you to put it in a new outer case.  As long as the book didn't suffer any new damage when it was dropped that would lower its grade (which us usually more likely on higher grades), then CGC won't need to grade the book again.  They will just replace the hard outer plastic holder for a small fee (plus shipping charges as PickleRick1216 mentioned).

Edited by Domo Arigato

8 minutes ago, Conacon said:

The seller showed me the damage on the spot. He's a reliable flea market guy who has sold me at least a hundred comics in the past year or two. 

Showing my rookie-ness here: what's the reholder fee? 

Sounds like I may keep this one to display. The books I bought this with make it a throw-in at this point. 

Reholder fee is the $15 CGC charges to reslabe the book. My post above shows all the other indirect costs you have to pay to get it reslabbed. My point is it costs more than $15.

2 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:

Reholder fee is the $15 CGC charges to reslabe the book. My post above shows all the other indirect costs you have to pay to get it reslabbed. My point is it costs more than $15.

Your previous post completely answered my question, thanks! I guess I skimmed over it and didn't pick up enough key words! 🤭

Glad you knew about it first. I have received a couple of surprise cracked slabs via eBay over the years and it is pretty deflating. (Shipping to Australia is expensive. It’s not uncommon to be paying $45 - $55 USD for shipping. (Then times that by approx 1.4 for the USD to AUD conversion rate)).