• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Someone Stole My Entire Ebay Description!
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I can't imagine that there's any recourse but I just thought I'd put it out there.

I'm selling some Thor #337's on Ebay and I clicked on another person's auction and they simply lifted my entire description!  Not similar.  But stole it.  Not a sentence.  But the whole thiing!  Perhaps I should be flattered.  They cut and  paste it and made it their own!

Uggh!  

26 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

I can't imagine that there's any recourse but I just thought I'd put it out there.

I'm selling some Thor #337's on Ebay and I clicked on another person's auction and they simply lifted my entire description!  Not similar.  But stole it.  Not a sentence.  But the whole thiing!  Perhaps I should be flattered.  They cut and  paste it and made it their own!

Uggh!  

I clicked on the link and it brought me to the main page?  Do you work for Amazon and Ebay is copying your business model?

9 minutes ago, spreads said:

I clicked on the link and it brought me to the main page?  Do you work for Amazon and Ebay is copying your business model?

No that wasn't supposed to link; it just created that when I typed out that word.  No.  I'm simply selling comics on Ebay and another person stole my entire description; several paragraphs.  

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

i at least change a couple words around when i copy and paste a similar listing to mine... but some people evidently don't have the time for that or are too lazy ..

just be flattered because nothing can be done about it,...

Kind of hard to believe.  But, I'm sure you're right that I can't do anything about it anyway.  

I'm not understanding what's at issue here?  So long as your description doesn't have any unique identifiers, I don't see what's wrong with copy/pasting someone else's description.  Now, if they straight up copy/pasted your picture (CGC # and all), then sure, that's a legitimate quarrel.

I hardly sell on eBay, but if I see someone with a great description for a similar item, I'll use it as a base and make some adjustments (such as to shipping info).  But otherwise, it's possible my descriptions share 95% with something I found from a more experienced seller.

4 hours ago, Tafkap said:

Uggh!  

WHY DO EBAYERS TYPE THE TITLE IN ALL CAPS? ITS SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE SCREAMING

hah, and he is charging $4 more for OW/W pages vs, your white pages! Yes, that he mirrored your word so closely is weird. with that said, there's nothing in there that really took you much effort. on some items I read descriptions and clearly someone put a lot of research and effort into them and I would be ticked off if someone just duped it out (in theory it is actually a copyright violation to do that, although ebay may limit your ability to seek recourse)