• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Chipping on spine
2 2

12 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, kav said:

also in the insect damage camp.

That, or the spine was stuck to something and when pulled away, this was the result. Could have been heat that caused this as well. That entire spine, the bundles of page ends has glue applied to secure the cover. Also, although I've seen many bound volumes of comics, stitched and glued or both, I don't recall ever seeing a bound volume of 80 pagers or other such square-bounds. Could this have been glued into a bound volume and now detached? 

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

That, or the spine was stuck to something and when pulled away, this was the result. Could have been heat that caused this as well. That entire spine, the bundles of page ends has glue applied to secure the cover. Also, although I've seen many bound volumes of comics, stitched and glued or both, I don't recall ever seeing a bound volume of 80 pagers or other such square-bounds. Could this have been glued into a bound volume and now detached? 

i'm thinking spine stuck to something now.  that would leave the exact residual glue shapes we see here.

Looks like it was stacked in a pile and insects got at it from the spine 

OR

Moisture got at it and then something rubbed up against it over the years. 

But that book was stacked in a pile at one point with others. 

Edited by Buzzetta