• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you count the recap page as a page?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Ablation Steve said:

Hi all, kinda new to this original art thing. If a comic has a recap page as its first page, is that page counted as page 1? Was wondering if there's a standard that artists agree on when numbering pages? 

Example:

recap.jpg

I thought your question was whether or not the original art counts as a page.  Some recap pages are actually new original art.

As for page counting.  There is no consensus.  Some people count story pages and some people include ads when they count page numbers.  It was fun in the old days (just 20 years ago) when scans were less prevalent and you had to describe the page to make sure you were talking about the same one!)

Malvin

2 hours ago, Ablation Steve said:

Hi all, kinda new to this original art thing. If a comic has a recap page as its first page, is that page counted as page 1? Was wondering if there's a standard that artists agree on when numbering pages? 

Example:

recap.jpg

I would count that one, since it has both art and text that relates to the story. It isn’t something like a house ad, which I would not count. But that’s me.

2 hours ago, The Voord said:

It's just a page, why obsess over such things?  (shrug)

I'm just thinking that if you're looking for a specific page, you might have your searches set up for page 15 but someone else might label it as page 14. Or you might have a friend looking for page 8 for you and completely ignore the page 7 you're actually looking for. Just curious to know if there was an industry standard for it. Sounds like there isn't.

5 minutes ago, Ablation Steve said:

I'm just thinking that if you're looking for a specific page, you might have your searches set up for page 15 but someone else might label it as page 14. Or you might have a friend looking for page 8 for you and completely ignore the page 7 you're actually looking for. Just curious to know if there was an industry standard for it. Sounds like there isn't.

In my experience searching for art, casting a wide net is your best bet. Going very specific is largely futile. For starters, there are a lot of misspellings. A good example is the spelling of Sam Kieth’s name. You’re right in asking whether that’s page 1 or a recap page. For sure, it’s not “story page” one. 

2 hours ago, Ablation Steve said:

Nope..  The new standard is a scan of the page :)

or a very vivid description...

8 hours ago, Ablation Steve said:

Curiously, this question indirectly affected me recently. Sometimes Heritage Auctions posts descriptions before it posts actual art. When I read a recent description, with page number, I was interested. Turned out someone counted differently, and the shown page wasn’t interesting to me at all.

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Curiously, this question indirectly affected me recently. Sometimes Heritage Auctions posts descriptions before it posts actual art. When I read a recent description, with page number, I was interested. Turned out someone counted differently, and the shown page wasn’t interesting to me at all.

Yeah, there's a page in that issue that I'd pay $300 for, but others I've passed on at $35.

They used to mark original art in 2 ways, not sure about now (especially digital).  In the art area, that number was considered the "story page".  In the top right corner, that number was considered the "book page" and that took into account any pages with advertising.

If you look at page counts on comics.org, they take into account those instances where part of the story fell on the top 1/2 or top 1/3 of a page and the rest was a house ad.  I know DC did that into the 70's.  So comics.org did all the arithmetic and added the partial pages together to get a total page count.

Going back to the OP... it counts.

Edited by Will_K