• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADING AUTOGRAPHED COMICS

15 posts in this topic

It sounds like you MIGHT be interested in the CGC Signature Series program. 

there’s a separate subforum for signatures on these chat boards, with a newbie thread to peruse.  Additionally, check out the Cgc website to see what they say about signatures.

but in short, a signature unwitnessed by Cgc will be treated as a defect against the grade OR will be ignored as a qualification resulting in a (generally less desirable) green qualified label.

cgc does not authenticate signatures or accept certificates of authenticity from anyone.

you may have more questions after you dig around the website or the signature room.

good luck

21 minutes ago, StumbleBum said:

I had never heard of JSA certification and after Googling it I'd say it's a waste of money as far as comics are concerned. CGC will not honor any JSA verification.

This.  Plus, CGC will grade it and you can hope for a green label, but it doesn’t qualify as a Signature Series yellow label.  Unless you decide NOT to have it slabbed, I wouldn’t waste the time or money...IMO.

JSA is the leading company in the business. It is widely accepted by hobbyists and dealers worldwide. It's amazing how many people seem to think CGC is the end all and be all. 

JSA does in a week what CGC does in a year. 

It sounds like Kevin Eastman isn't drinking the CGC kool-aid.

Edited by shadroch

2 hours ago, StumbleBum said:

Does JSA authenticate more comic creator autographs than CGC?

I imagine they do. CGC doesn't authenticate anything by Kirby, Schomburg ,or almost every GA artist. JSA authenticated my Kirby, Simon ,Lee lithograph. CGC wouldn't.

On 11/2/2020 at 4:56 PM, Albert Landwehr said:

I recently came across an autograph send-in service for Kevin Eastman.  They gave the option to have it JSA certified.  I was thinking about doing that and having a comic grading afterwards, but was wondering how that would affect the grading.

Don't, that money will be wasted on a book that offers no value graded. If you want a graded signed book, then you have to wait to have an opportunity where CGC can witness the signature. The certificate means nothing and won't count for CGC. 

If you want to do this for yourself and never ever sell it, then go for it. But if you want to be the owner of a collectible that is worth something on the comic market, then avoid.

Edited by William-James88

58 minutes ago, StumbleBum said:

I meant overall, not just the CBCS kind of stuff, say for example J Scott Campbell, McFarlane, etc. I can't imagine that JSA has authenticated more comics then there are CGC SS books. What do you get from JSA as proof, a COA?

That's not what you originally asked. 

1 hour ago, StumbleBum said:
2 hours ago, shadroch said:

That's not what you originally asked. 

Yes it is.

16 hours ago, StumbleBum said:

Does JSA authenticate more comic creator autographs than CGC?

Who authenticates/has authenticated more comic book creator signatures, JSA or CGC? Does JSA authenticate more books per year than CGC slabs SS books per year?

sounds like there might be a fundamental misunderstanding by some newer members (and possibly some older ones) about the definitions of some words, like 'worthless' and 'authentication'.

More people should probably do more research into what CGC and JSA actually do, and when one might want/need that service.

I will do part of the clarification.  JSA is one of the leading authentication services around, and is generally trusted by collectors, including collectors of some seriously high-value items.  To claim outright that a JSA certificate is worthless with regards to comics is flat out wrong.  HOWEVER, that does not mean there may not be better more worthwhile options for owning signed comics, depending on the signature and the economics of the situation and collector preferences. (there are many items where CGC SS would be a better option, but there are also items where JSA may be a better option).  But people would do well to not to make overly broad blanket statements.  

And while the JSA has no value with regards to CGC SS, CGC SS is certainly not the end-all-be-all of anything.  

*A lot of the above is just buttressing Shadroch's point.

CGC would give the Declaration of Independence a green label because they did not personally witness the signing. JSA would examine the signatures and judge it authentic.

One is the recognized leader in signed material, the other grades comic books. 

46 minutes ago, StumbleBum said:

If you guys don't know the answers that's fine. In my 22 years on Ebay I've never seen "authenticated by JSA" which is one reason I asked.

I think I've determined my answer (thumbsu

An ebay search of "JSA authenticated" turned up over 30,000 hits.

You originally asked if JSA did more comic creators. Then you changed it to  comic books. If you keep moving the goal line, I'm sure you will get across it eventually.

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

CGC would give the Declaration of Independence a green label because they did not personally witness the signing.

Which is infinitely better than some outfit that will "authenticate" anything for money.  We haven't seen any problems with that in the past. This is Fine!!!

On 11/4/2020 at 1:06 AM, William-James88 said:

Don't, that money will be wasted on a book that offers no value graded. If you want a graded signed book, then you have to wait to have an opportunity where CGC can witness the signature. The certificate means nothing and won't count for CGC. 

If you want to do this for yourself and never ever sell it, then go for it. But if you want to be the owner of a collectible that is worth something on the comic market, then avoid.

Thank you for your input.