• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books to Comic Art... but now....
3 3

39 posts in this topic

I collected as a kid from 86-92. I started up again mid 20's collecting 2006-2008. I fell off a bit again, but once I shacked up with the gf and couldn't go out galavanting all hours of the night anymore, I needed a new fix, I mean hobby. So I've been back in since 2012. I got bit by the art bug around 2015 which was also the year I was getting married. Somehow selling books and covering my tracks, I made it work and got a few of my favorite pages. 

I am lucky to be friends in real life with 2 established collectors who prevented me from making any of the rookie collecting mistakes that can sometimes be costly. They still wont sell me an Cap Epting Cover at a somewhat reasonable price but I still keep them around.

I am 95% art but I do have a small pull list. Most stuff today cranked out today, I think is terrible but, the current Daredevil, Conan, Savage Avengers &  DC's zombie title D'Ceased have been enjoyable to me. 

On 11/4/2020 at 11:00 AM, J.Sid said:

Ha! ....There is a big thread around here somewhere about the 'dos' and 'don'ts' of getting your OA signed by the artist

Oh!

This is really great to hear... I did not know this. that is amazing.

Thanks so much for letting me know that

What I have been doing over the last 5-10 years is upgrading the condition of my X-Men run. Nothing graded or in super high probably averages around 7 but that is a substantial upgrade to my readers (I was really a bargain hunter as a kid/teen). I am only doing this for 94-143. That's been a fun exercise and it gives me something to hunt for... always looking for a small fix. 

Now for the 1-93 I still pick up beat up copies, I like those to show their age more creases, chips, even an owners name on the cover is fine for these. The main reason is I want to have them in my collection BUT not so bad that I want to pay up for them so a beat up copy of the Mimic's appearance suits me just fine, just happy to see it when I flip though my X-Men box.

X-MEN BABY! SNIKT!!!

Edited by gumbydarnit

10 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

2 established collectors who prevented me from making any of the rookie collecting mistakes that can sometimes be costly.

SMART to listen to your friends especially as you are getting your feet under you, FRIENDS are the best!!!

Hi Rob!

Hi Philip!

and Hi to my virtual friend... the Ape!

On 11/3/2020 at 8:49 PM, Will_K said:

I donated (gave away to a non-profit) about 1/3 to 1/2 of my comics a few years ago (mostly my pull list).  I still have about 30 short boxes (about 1/2 is pull list).  Should probably slab the best ones and the sell all of them.  Not sure if I'll ever be able to read all of them "one last time". 

I know a lot of people credit their parents with encouraging their comics hobby.  Somewhere, there's an old picture of a very young me with something that looks like an open Batman comic (lots of blue).  Otherwise, my father definitely did not like that I collected comics.  Or rather, that I spent $$$ on comics.  A long time ago, he asked me if I had to actually PAY to store my comics, would it be worth it ??  My answer was something like "probably not".  Years later, this was borne out by the fact that I just gave away so many of them.  I think back on if I had spent the same $$$ on original art (or even con sketches) as I did on those comics, would it be worth it??  I think for sure it would've been worth it.  I definitely wouldn't have just given away a stack of comic art.  In the end, I got a receipt for my donations (e.g. "received 10 boxes of comics").  For tax purposes, I asked my tax preparer to just give me whatever tax deduction I could get without having to declare values on every individual comic.  On the flip side, I think whatever $$$ was spent on comics... that basically kept me out of trouble and doing something stupid, so there's that.

In the last 2 years or so, I've gotten mostly CGC 9.8s and some CGC 9.6s of particular comics.  Around 20 total, so far.  I'll stop at around 30.  Definitely stop by 50.  They take up SO.  MUCH.  ROOM.

Recently, I've been supporting some Kickstarters for collected issues (physical copies).  I've got a handful (armful) of IDW Artist Editions (or similar). 

I basically bought every superhero title from the Big Two, ACG, and Archie, as they came out, and saved them, from 1969-1993, minus some books I didn’t like but would sample occasionally. I also had some earlier books I had saved. That is a lot of boxes, particularly after I later went back and bagged them. So, with some exceptions, like my Phantom Stranger issues and first series JLA, I didn’t and haven’t bought much. I gave a lot of them away to charity, sold some, and learned the hard way that books should not be stored in moist environments (only lost about 1,000-1,500 that way), os so close together mice may get into them. Also kept several thousand.

Currently, I still buy but rarely read; if books don’t sell, there is no art to buy. Keep that in mind fellow collectors.

14 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

SMART to listen to your friends especially as you are getting your feet under you, FRIENDS are the best!!!

Hi Rob!

Hi Philip!

and Hi to my virtual friend... the Ape!

The ape much love and respect for gumbydarnit. And CGC and to all newbies noobies rookies and new kids on the block ape loves hearing from you!! 
New blood greases the wheels on this “thing of ours” ( sorry watching Soprano reruns again)

With topics of concern that challenge  experienced collectors and the new kids on the block this is the place to come ask questions. You’ll get varied opinions and even a bit of good advice from time to time. You’ll also get razzed and no one I mean no one is above it: But it’s all in good fun and when someone steps over the line it’s usually pointed out in a firm/fair manner:

1) How not to get ripped off

2) FMV fair market value

3) Dealers vs. Auctions 

4) Flip of the Day

5) Help identifying the artist

6).......whatever else you can think of reach out to your friends here on the board!!!

grape + ape

The Voord (Terry) is a true friend and has a lot of experience in this great hobby. Some of you are too young to remember Sinbad (no not that A Clown running around with the Terminator in Jingle All the Way) but Sinbad and the Golden Voyage....talk about nostalgia.

As for helping my friend last year I pointed him in the right direction but it was he who acted boldly, put his money where his mouth was and landed just a mind blowing piece.

The Voord = 🍇+ 🦍 Approved 🏅 

One of the coolest/worst things I own...

A mint copy of Verotik 1

Had a quick second to have Glen Danzig sign it when it came out and he signed a dark cover with a black sharpie( you can’t barely make out his signature)😂 Glen I love ya buddy but enough with black ok!!! Black line Fever 666 and on and on....come to the light...buy something with white ink brother lol

On 11/3/2020 at 8:11 PM, Drummy said:

I've been going back and forth on this topic for fifteen years.  I was all in on the Marvel SA keys, then almost all in on Bronze age Marvel superhero art, then -- when prices started going way up between 2010-2014, I sold the art and went back to the keys thinking they would be cheaper in the long run (which has surprisingly proven true despite the MCU and other bumps).

Now, though, I have 16 of the 22 books I really want to own/display, so I'm looking at a few art pages again on the side.  Once my grail books are all in hand, I figure I'll keep going with collecting the art so long as it's semi-affordable and a nostalgic joy.

My latest pick-up is below for any Sal Hulk fans out there, from issue #208!

Dan

Hulk 208 p 7.jpeg

this will go well with your really great page!!!

hulk208.jpg

Edited by romitaman

..............OH......this too...forgot i had it... By the great Dave Cockrum!!

Interesting to see the differences between unpub and published covers

Interesting question for a new topic for someone to bring up..... "UNPUBLISHED / UN-USED COVERS!"

Oddly enough I feel there are more unpublished HULK covers from the 1970's than any other Marvel title out there...

Why???  i don't know

I own 5 unpublished Incredible hulk covers from the 1970's and i'm sure there are more out there!

hulk208 unpub.jpg

Edited by romitaman

On 11/4/2020 at 2:11 AM, Drummy said:

I've been going back and forth on this topic for fifteen years.  I was all in on the Marvel SA keys, then almost all in on Bronze age Marvel superhero art, then -- when prices started going way up between 2010-2014, I sold the art and went back to the keys thinking they would be cheaper in the long run (which has surprisingly proven true despite the MCU and other bumps).

Now, though, I have 16 of the 22 books I really want to own/display, so I'm looking at a few art pages again on the side.  Once my grail books are all in hand, I figure I'll keep going with collecting the art so long as it's semi-affordable and a nostalgic joy.

My latest pick-up is below for any Sal Hulk fans out there, from issue #208!

Dan

Hulk 208 p 7.jpeg

Enjoy the page Dan! 

Eelco

Thanks, Eelco, and thanks, Mike, for posting some of your great Hulk covers!  I saw on the YouTube event many of the covers you've got....congratulations.

My very first comics were Hulk #199 and FF #172.  Always looking for pages from those books, but always happy to buy anything 'joyful' from my youth.  Appreciate all the nice words on this #208 page as well.

Dan

ps I wonder if some editor, or even Stan himself, had a very specific vision for Hulk and would shoot down covers that didn't fit the vision?

1 hour ago, Drummy said:

Thanks, Eelco, and thanks, Mike, for posting some of your great Hulk covers!  I saw on the YouTube event many of the covers you've got....congratulations.

My very first comics were Hulk #199 and FF #172.  Always looking for pages from those books, but always happy to buy anything 'joyful' from my youth.  Appreciate all the nice words on this #208 page as well.

Dan

ps I wonder if some editor, or even Stan himself, had a very specific vision for Hulk and would shoot down covers that didn't fit the vision?

Those are right around the time I started buying comics.  The year was 1976 :luhv:

14 hours ago, romitaman said:

..............OH......this too...forgot i had it... By the great Dave Cockrum!!

Interesting to see the differences between unpub and published covers

Interesting question for a new topic for someone to bring up..... "UNPUBLISHED / UN-USED COVERS!"

Oddly enough I feel there are more unpublished HULK covers from the 1970's than any other Marvel title out there...

Why???  i don't know

I own 5 unpublished Incredible hulk covers from the 1970's and i'm sure there are more out there!

hulk208 unpub.jpg

Great to compare these two covers Mike! I'm generally a much bigger Cockrum fan than Severin, but the Severin is far superior here, hands down! And that's not nostalgia talking, as I've never seen either version before. Thanks for posting.

Edited by stinkininkin

10 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

I started collecting comics as a kid in the mid-to-late 80s. I got in and out of comic collecting a few times over the years, but I never stopped liking the books from my time or the characters. I've picked up my reading of current books since COVID-19 appeared, mostly due to the decline in social activity. Collecting comic book OA is new to me, and honestly, it's weird that I came to it so late, because I've been collecting animation cels for a number of years now. I also have some random commissions here and there (from artists comic-related and not), but my current focus is published comic book OA. It's fun to try and hunt down the old art I love, but also to jump in on the new stuff I enjoy before it jumps up in price. It's a fun hobby. Oh, and comic-wise, I'm a raw collector, because I like to read what I buy. I don't have any HUGE key issues (though I do have some pretty good ones), but I'd go for those raw over slabbed any day, and yes, I would carefully read them once before bagging and boarding them. I do have 9, just 9 CGC books, but they aren't anything super desirable, just cool covers or signed books, all modern.

Coincidentally enough, it was during the year I worked at a comic shop that I was able to meet Ray Harryhausen. He came to Dallas for a small film exhibition and our store had various product for sale relating to his films, so we worked out a deal to set up a little booth. The manager asked for a volunteer to attend the event, and I was excited to do so because I, too, loved his movies when I was a kid. I didn't expect too much out of it, and I was perposefully trying to take a back seat at the event, because there were folks attending that had to wait in lines for a while to get in. But for the film and Q&A presentation, the organizers sat me up close. Not only that, but when the line for autographs was made, they lined me up at the front of the line as well! Ray was very proud, but also had a humility to him, as weird as that sounds. He respected his work and was grateful for being able to do what he did. The only thing I didn't agree with was his disdain for Godzilla, because I love that big beast! But I understood. Harryhausen's work was so intricate and detailed, and the time he spent with his artistry just isn't matched by many other special effects. It's the same with OA, right? The old-school artists who did everything by hand and collaborated with the inkers, letterers, etc. to complete a piece...that time and detail given is unmatched by today's standards. I got this overwhelming feeling seeing Ray speak, learning his history, and finally meeting him, that he was one of the artistic masters that the world would soon lose. Sure enough, just a few short years after that event, he passed. I will always be grateful for going to that event and meeting him in person, and I will hold onto my favorite movie of his that he signed for me for as long as I can.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

IMG_20201113_012002947.jpg

Cool story!