• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certificate of Authenticity Neal Adams

44 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Not sure if you guys could help me out....Has anyone bought any oriignal art from the Neal Adams Store within the last year or so? I bought a piece of art but never received a paper COA. If you did reoieve one with your art could you let me know what it looks like?

Should I be insisting on one for future reference? Thank you so much. Its just I am quite new to Original Art.

Stay safe and healthy wherever you are.

Edited by Ghazi

2 hours ago, Ghazi said:

Hi All,

Not sure if you guys could help me out....Has anyone bought any oriignal art from the Neal Adams Store within the last year or so? I bought a piece of art but never received a paper COA. If you did reoieve one with your art could you let me know what it looks like?

Should I be insisting on one for future reference? Thank you so much. Its just I am quite new to Original Art.

I never have bought from his store, but his style is iconic and hard to miss. You can always save the receipt. 

In other cases, you do have the right to be suspicious. There is a lot of fake art out there, particularly on eBay, and for certain artists, like Kirby, Schultz/Peanuts strips, and Bruce Timm. I don’t know if you can get a CoA from most dealers, I never asked. It’s best to learn what you are buying before you buy, and for now, focus on less expensive artists and pieces which are less likely to be forged. Try buying from the artist where you can, or at least the artists’ agents.

I got something from one of Neal's ebay auctions over 10 years ago.  It came with a COA that was more or less attached to the back of the art.  But it has been detached for about the same 10 years.  I prefer it detached.  Back then, the COA had a brief description and Neal's thumbprint.  With enough effort, one can create their own COAs.  Neal's thumbprint is another matter, if there's ever a question, does the family keep it on file ?

COA's are generally considered a marketing tool ("buy me, I'm real").  But as mentioned above, Adams' style is pretty recognizable / iconic.  If you're buying a particular Adams piece, you know why you're buying it and know what to look for.  If I watched Neal draw something and it turned out crappy (unlikely), I probably wouldn't want it, even with a COA.  If you're selling an Adams piece, you better be real sure it's an Adams piece (how do you know it's an Adams piece).

Edited by Will_K

2 hours ago, Will_K said:

Neal's thumbprint is another matter, if there's ever a question, does the family keep it on file ?

I'm holding out for when they issue the art with an actual Neal-thumb, till then...confidence is very low ;)

3 hours ago, Will_K said:

COA's are generally considered a marketing tool ("buy me, I'm real").  But as mentioned above, Adams' style is pretty recognizable / iconic.  If you're buying a particular Adams piece, you know why you're buying it and know what to look for. 

^ 100% this.

In most cases it is easier to fake a cert of authenticity than to fake the actual art. Real original art is generally like a signature, only 100,000 times more complex.
The best way to know what you are buying is to know what you are buying.  i.e. take time to learn and gather the skills to tell the difference. If the artist does fairly simple art (as R2Y2 mentions), there are still generally ways to tell what's legit and what is not. It's always best to keep in mind, buyer beware. Learn what to spot, and while still learning, show the art in question to someone with more experience you trust to help authenticate it for you. Learn from them. Ask what they are looking for, etc. Every artist is different. As are their working methods and what is and isn't normal for their output.

As for buying stuff direct from an artist without a COA, that's more or less the norm. Very few offer such a thing, for the above reasons. If you get any kind of receipt or communications during acquisition of the piece, or online from the purchase, you can print and save that to add to it's provenance if you prefer. Also can be helpful, come time to insure the art.

Oh my gosh I just want to say I am so so thankful to you all. I am blown away with your kindness to reply to my message in such detail and your expert advice.

I was initially worried when i bought the art piece- which I have beeen saving to buy for a long time -from the Neal Adams Store and just got really worried when there was no COA.

Thank you again :)!!!

There is currently a piece on ebay, Olivia watercolor using Bettie Page as the model.  And signed by Bettie Page on the front.  It comes with 2 (repeat 2) COAs from Olivia. 

AND a separate COA from PSA/DNA to authenticate Bettie Page's signature.  And they put a PSA/DNA sticker on the art next to Bettie's signature.  And both COAs from Olivia already say it's signed by Bettie.

I was interested in the piece until I saw that sticker... not gonna bid.  I think the sticker ruins it. 

I'm not sure why 1 piece requires 2 COAs but if anyone needs an extra COA to go with their fake, there you go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-2002-Olivia-De-Berardinis-Bettie-Page-Signed-Watercolor-Painting-Wow/233754603346?hash=item366cdc2f52:g:V-kAAOSwojpfkd64

Edited by Will_K

I purchased a piece of Neal's from his sons Ebay account earlier this year. It came with a holographic sticker (that was supposed to cost $10 extra). The moment I opened it and saw the sticker, I swiftly removed it as I didn't want it to have any adverse effect on the piece (and I didnt want the sticker, they're dumb).

Nearly every COA I’ve come across was

1) added in attempt to deceive the public 

or

2) make an xtra buck (see Neal)

I have no problem with option 2

from the sellers POV but I it adds little reassurance to the buyer in most cases.

Public enemy #1 is the “COA” that adds a false sense of security and induces the victim to ignore all the other red flags.

The best way to obtain art safely

1) study and learn about the artist, the tools they use, etc

2) buy from their rep when possible or directly from the artist

3) buy from a seller that has good reputation and reliable character references 

4) trust your gut and be wary of it seems too good to be true....

23 hours ago, Will_K said:

There is currently a piece on ebay, Olivia watercolor using Bettie Page as the model.  And signed by Bettie Page on the front.  It comes with 2 (repeat 2) COAs from Olivia. 

AND a separate COA from PSA/DNA to authenticate Bettie Page's signature.  And they put a PSA/DNA sticker on the art next to Bettie's signature.  And both COAs from Olivia already say it's signed by Bettie.

I was interested in the piece until I saw that sticker... not gonna bid.  I think the sticker ruins it. 

I'm not sure why 1 piece requires 2 COAs but if anyone needs an extra COA to go with their fake, there you go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-2002-Olivia-De-Berardinis-Bettie-Page-Signed-Watercolor-Painting-Wow/233754603346?hash=item366cdc2f52:g:V-kAAOSwojpfkd64

If I were the seller, I'd be absolutely livid they added a sticker onto the paper itself. It's damaging, does nothing toward authenticity and is basically an advertisement for PSA.

I have 2 pieces by Neal Adams that I bought many moons ago that have COAs. 

One is a Deadman painting, the other is a Conan in color.  I bought both through an art gallery that he consigned directly to in NYC which is why the COAs were issued a week later by Neal's studio.

Given how many drawings he now sells directly at conventions, I doubt if they issue COAs anymore.

On 11/3/2020 at 3:45 PM, Will_K said:

Wow!  That's legitimately one of the dumbest things I've ever seen done.  It legitimately results in the OA looking like it's nothing more than a print.

On 11/3/2020 at 4:12 PM, Ghazi said:

Hi All,

The more recent purchases come with certificates that are optional and cost $10 to $20. 

In the past, there were certificates attached to the back of the art with Neal's thumbprint but Neal's studio has stopped doing that claiming there are fakes floating around.  Personally, I don't buy that reason.  I just think Neal has been so much more efficient and works a lot faster - while he works on so many pieces at once - it might be hard to certificate all of them.  Again, that's just my theory which is different from their official stance.

Nevertheless, current purchases from the store either have: (1) no certificate, (2) certificate with hologram sticker, or (3) hologram sticker stuck directly to the back of the art.  I have purchased a lot from Neal this past year and have chosen option #3.  Personally, I don't see the point of a certificate separate from the art, but then that's just me.

Hope this helps answer your query.

i don't undersand people who ask certificates...i mean, i'm selling my art pages (on ebay and CAF), ans sometimes, peopel are asking if i have a COA, because they don't know if i'm selling fakes or the real deal.....but if a crook has the talent to do a fake moon knight page by sal vellutto for example, with multi panels, background and all.....he'd be stupid to lose his time to do such an amount of work for only 200$, when he can do a quick fake kirby sketch for more than that....and if he's talented enough to do a fake page, i guess it wouldn't be very difficult to do a fake COA, which is simplier to do than the page