• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will these 3 books ASM 252, 300 & Marvel Team-Up 141 continue to rise in value?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

I’m terrible at speculating on comics. I always buy what I like without thinking about future value, then when I see an otherwise random comic shoot up in price all I can do is watch from the sideline because it’s almost never what I’m collecting.

That being said I’ve been thinking about these 3 books (I realize they’re pretty obvious choices). But as new collectors enter the hobby I get the feeling these 3 are some of the first keys they become aware of and they may even remember seeing them on the rack back in the day. 

Personally I don’t understand why the black costume is so important. It’s not worn by Spidey these days. The 300 I can understand a little better because of McFarlane. Although when it hit the stands I thought it was a terrible cover ha, but I’ve grown to like it along with the other two. 

I’m curious what you think about this. Will they continue to climb or are they close to reaching their max value? 

I’m mainly a BA collector so I am pretty clueless about these books and I apologize if this is an obvious question. 

Part of the reason I’m asking is because after paying some bills I’ve discovered I have about 500 to spend on books. I was going to put it towards my Kirby 4th world collection but these books keep popping into my head and I’m wondering if I should use the cash to pick up the 252 and the MTU 141. I have the 300. 

My question is what do you like to collect and why?  Are you a Spidey fan that is nostalgic for those 80s black costume issues and want them in your collection?  Or are you just interested in buying hot books because they are hot as speculation?  

I wouldn’t buy them expecting them to go up a lot from here, TBH.  

If you are speculating, I prefer the strategy of finding something cool that isn’t super hot right now, rather than piling into the same few books that everyone seems to be chasing currently.

FYI, I’m a Spidey collector that started in the 80s, so I own all three books.  I’ve actually considered getting my 300 graded and selling it because I think the money it is going for right now is silly.   I probably won’t, since my Spidey run is the core of my collection, but I question how sustainable this runup is.

33 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

My question is what do you like to collect and why?  Are you a Spidey fan that is nostalgic for those 80s black costume issues and want them in your collection?  Or are you just interested in buying hot books because they are hot as speculation?  

If you are speculating, I prefer the strategy of finding something cool that isn’t super hot right now, rather than piling into the same few books that everyone seems to be chasing currently.

FYI, I’m a Spidey collector that started in the 80s, so I own all three books.  I’ve actually considered getting my 300 graded and selling it because I think the money it is going for right now is silly.   I probably won’t, since my Spidey run is the core of my collection, but I question how sustainable this runup is.

Thanks for the feedback. I both like the books and I’m definitely speculating a bit. But you make a good point about not jumping on something at the same time as everyone else. At the same time I get this feeling especially about the 300 that it’s going to be one of the easiest books to sell for a long long time. 

On 11/3/2020 at 10:00 AM, Hamlet said:

In the same boat.  Drooled over ASM300 as a kid in the early 90s, and ended up getting all the early black costume books cheap around 2000.  They're fun books, but at the prices they seem to be going for now, I'm almost thinking of cashing out.  I did sell 2 copies of secret wars 8 a couple years ago for a fraction of what they go for now, and they were at least 9.0s :(

On 11/3/2020 at 12:36 PM, Monstro said:

Part of the reason I’m asking is because after paying some bills I’ve discovered I have about 500 to spend on books. I was going to put it towards my Kirby 4th world collection but these books keep popping into my head and I’m wondering if I should use the cash to pick up the 252 and the MTU 141. I have the 300. 

I would recommend you forego the MTU 141 and direct your funds to asm 299, before prices become completely crazy

I am a Spidey fan, so these issues are must haves for me (and I have em!)

Aside from that, the black suit is just so great looking. Definitely a top 5 Spidey design. Add in the fact that is debuted in a decent story arc and has ties to Venom and the interest in these issues will always be there. For the Venom die hard, you eventually get your 298, 299, 300 and whatever and then look at these, so  I cannot see them dropping in value unless the entire hobby experiences some sort of collapse and all books drop. Are they the BEST investment for $500? I don't try to predict the future. I go with the now and my philosophy is "pay less than what its worth now and you will be fine down the road". 

If you're looking for modern/copper long safe bets, these are fine.  No real reason for a value dip.  But I mean there's literally thousands of books you could consider, depending on how much money you have and what you actually like to own/collect.  But if you like these anyways, buy and enjoy!

The only reason that MTU141 spiked is because some people claimed that it was shipped the same week as ASM 252 and was therefore tied for the 1st black costume. It's my understanding that that has now been proven wrong. So I don't think that's a great long-term investment. I think both ASM252 and 300 will continue to climb over time, although they may dip down at times. But if you're looking to hold for 20-30 years it's probably still a decent books to pick up.

16 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The only reason that MTU141 spiked is because some people claimed that it was shipped the same week as ASM 252 and was therefore tied for the 1st black costume. It's my understanding that that has now been proven wrong. So I don't think that's a great long-term investment.

Sounds like what happened to Daredevil #115, when it briefly was being claimed as Wolverine's first appearance in an ad... but everyone soon realized Hulk #180 was already out before that.

On 11/6/2020 at 9:08 AM, valiantman said:

Sounds like what happened to Daredevil #115, when it briefly was being claimed as Wolverine's first appearance in an ad... but everyone soon realized Hulk #180 was already out before that.

I still sold a copy of the Thor issue with the ad for a premium compared to surrounding issues, after that news was out. Maybe it's just that people value issue 181 more, and the ad was for that issue, rather than for the character

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 11/6/2020 at 8:08 AM, valiantman said:

I still sold a copy of the Thor issue with the ad for a premium compared to surrounding issues, after that news was out. Maybe it's just that people value issue 181 more, and the ad was for that issue, rather than for the character

I agree, Daredevil #115 is definitely more interesting in the Wolverine world than Daredevil #114, and similar for the Thor issue with Wolverine ad, but there was a brief time when people were touting Daredevil #115 as equal to -or even superior to- Hulk #180, when it not only contained less Wolverine, and was just an advertisement, it wasn't even printed before Hulk #180.   MTU #141 is a "poor man's ASM #252", certainly worth a premium over MTU #140, but it isn't equal to ASM #252 on any logical level - especially since it wasn't released until later.

Edited by valiantman

Apparently you should be putting 316 on your list too as that has been really rocketing. 

This can be yours for the easy price of just several thousand dollars. 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-316-CGC-SS-9-8-SIGNED-BY-TODD-THE-GOD-McFARLANE-VENOM-RARE/224228562377?hash=item34351055c9:g:44sAAOSwk-pfqcoi

It’s embarrassing enough that he wrote The God, but he should have written Todd The God, and made it rhyme. Instead he wrote Tord The God and it looks even more idiotic. 

31 minutes ago, D2 said:

Apparently you should be putting 316 on your list too as that has been really rocketing. 

This can be yours for the easy price of just several thousand dollars. 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-316-CGC-SS-9-8-SIGNED-BY-TODD-THE-GOD-McFARLANE-VENOM-RARE/224228562377?hash=item34351055c9:g:44sAAOSwk-pfqcoi

It’s embarrassing enough that he wrote The God, but he should have written Todd The God, and made it rhyme. Instead he wrote Tord The God and it looks even more idiotic. 

Was Todd trying to pull a "Stan the Man" type of signing? :facepalm: