Will these 3 books ASM 252, 300 & Marvel Team-Up 141 continue to rise in value?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, D2 said:

Apparently you should be putting 316 on your list too as that has been really rocketing. 

This can be yours for the easy price of just several thousand dollars. 
 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-316-CGC-SS-9-8-SIGNED-BY-TODD-THE-GOD-McFARLANE-VENOM-RARE/224228562377?hash=item34351055c9:g:44sAAOSwk-pfqcoi

 

It’s embarrassing enough that he wrote The God, but he should have written Todd The God, and made it rhyme. Instead he wrote Tord The God and it looks even more idiotic. 

Tord "The God" M'FazlovE

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think prices for these mentioned books in 9.8s will start to come down once the supply increases. Kind of like what is happening to ASM 300. With the current CGC turnaround time, I bet there are tons that's in queue waiting to be graded. Once those books hits the scene (eBay), prices will become more competitive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Anyone else notice majority of ASM 252 in a 9.8 sold on ebay are mostly newsstand edition? It's like the direct version in a 9.8 is more rare for this issue judging by the sold history.

Any book which "got hot immediately" for comic shops almost certainly got scooped up (soon after) as newsstand editions, by the same people who normally used comic shops (both collectors and shop owners). As a result, those "immediately hot" newsstands survived in higher quantities and higher grades than the newsstand books which were just late copies of books still available at the comic shop.  The "normal newsstand cycle" of damages and returns was "direct-disrupted" if comic shops were sold out immediately (within a week or two).

As we get more data, it will be obvious which books were hot immediately (nationally), even if individual collectors don't remember it happening locally.

It's fairly obvious that collectors bought up the newsstand copies of ASM #252, #361 and Thor #337 after comic shops sold out.  Those particular newsstands didn't get treated as harshly (or returned as often) as other books that didn't sell out at comic shops.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Any book which "got hot immediately" for comic shops almost certainly got scooped up (soon after) as newsstand editions, by the same people who normally used comic shops (both collectors and shop owners). As a result, those "immediately hot" newsstands survived in higher quantities and higher grades than the newsstand books which were just late copies of books still available at the comic shop.  The "normal newsstand cycle" of damages and returns was "direct-disrupted" if comic shops were sold out immediately (within a week or two).

As we get more data, it will be obvious which books were hot immediately (nationally), even if individual collectors don't remember it happening locally.

It's fairly obvious that collectors bought up the newsstand copies of ASM #252, #361 and Thor #337 after comic shops sold out.  Those particular newsstands didn't get treated as harshly (or returned as often) as other books that didn't sell out at comic shops.

Absolutely true of ASM #252 and Thor #337. I remember these selling out quickly in the comic shops. My cousin and I rode our bikes down to a convenience store and each bought a copy of Thor #337, when the local shop quickly ran out (Thor was not on my pull list at the time... nor should it have been on anyone's pull list based on the prior 36 issues).

This was also true of any 'hot' comic that came out and was shorted by Alternate Realities to my local store. (Alternate Realities was supposedly run by Chuck Rozanski's wife Nanette)
Thankfully our local shop had a great store owner.  She would hit all the newstand areas she could to try and get her subscribers a copy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Any book which "got hot immediately" for comic shops almost certainly got scooped up (soon after) as newsstand editions, by the same people who normally used comic shops (both collectors and shop owners). As a result, those "immediately hot" newsstands survived in higher quantities and higher grades than the newsstand books which were just late copies of books still available at the comic shop.  The "normal newsstand cycle" of damages and returns was "direct-disrupted" if comic shops were sold out immediately (within a week or two).

As we get more data, it will be obvious which books were hot immediately (nationally), even if individual collectors don't remember it happening locally.

It's fairly obvious that collectors bought up the newsstand copies of ASM #252, #361 and Thor #337 after comic shops sold out.  Those particular newsstands didn't get treated as harshly (or returned as often) as other books that didn't sell out at comic shops.

I'm pretty sure my comic shop did this a lot even for random issues they must have under ordered. I have many newsstands that I know for sure I wasn't buying outside a comic book store in the 90's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Morganmi said:

I'm pretty sure my comic shop did this a lot even for random issues they must have under ordered. I have many newsstands that I know for sure I wasn't buying outside a comic book store in the 90's.

Seems likely that comic shops buying books "secondhand" (standard buying of whatever comes through the door at a good price) would get whatever was in the collection/inventory they were buying - not necessarily what they would have ordered through their shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Seems likely that comic shops buying books "secondhand" (standard buying of whatever comes through the door at a good price) would get whatever was in the collection/inventory they were buying - not necessarily what they would have ordered through their shop.

 Yea I'm sure in the back issue boxes there was a mix of everything from whatever came through the door. What I'm noticing is that where I have runs of 30 or 40 books of a title that I'm fairly certain I was just buying every couple weeks off the rack of the LCS, there is every once in a while a random newsstand edition. My guess is that they would probably order enough for their average volume of customers but if for whatever reason they had more random buys that month of a title they would grab some from other "newstand" locations just to make their customers happy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Morganmi said:

 Yea I'm sure in the back issue boxes there was a mix of everything from whatever came through the door. What I'm noticing is that where I have runs of 30 or 40 books of a title that I'm fairly certain I was just buying every couple weeks off the rack of the LCS, there is every once in a while a random newsstand edition. My guess is that they would probably order enough for their average volume of customers but if for whatever reason they had more random buys that month of a title they would grab some from other "newstand" locations just to make their customers happy.

That's a good thought - it couldn't have been profitable to buy/resell at the same price, but customer satisfaction and retention are more important to some businesses. (thumbsu

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 11:33 PM, Lorne Malvo said:

Anyone else notice majority of ASM 252 in a 9.8 sold on ebay are mostly newsstand edition? It's like the direct version in a 9.8 is more rare for this issue judging by the sold history.

Seen that, and also there are so many listed, even ungraded.

I think this one will hover at it's current price or fall a bit in the future. There are just to many copies out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been collecting from childhood as well, with several copies of ASM 252, Thor 337, Secret Wars 8, etc. ... and in the more rare Canadian Price Variants. I've been dripping a few of these over the last 6 years in the open market and surprisingly I've consistently seen a steady drop in interest and in sale prices. For any of these to really buck the downward trends, they really need to be in NM/M condition. Even a 9.6 in these aren't as desirable for long term growth. For the ASM 298, 299, 300 ... I've also sold a handful of these over the years and they've pretty much plateaued in value. Even through the rise of MCU and Venom, it hasn't really changed too much. I personally don't see it changing much in the decades ahead.

Edited by MagicMan_2017
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

Been collecting from childhood as well, with several copies of ASM 252, Thor 337, Secret Wars 8, etc. ... and in the more rare Canadian Price Variants. I've been dripping a few of these over the last 6 years in the open market and surprisingly I've consistently seen a steady drop in interest and in sale prices. For any of these to really buck the downward trends, they really need to be in NM/M condition. Even a 9.6 in these aren't as desirable for long term growth. For the ASM 298, 299, 300 ... I've also sold a handful of these over the years and they've pretty much plateaued in value. Even through the rise of MCU and Venom, it hasn't really changed too much. I personally don't see it changing much in the decades ahead.

As a collector, ASM 252, Thor 337, Secret Wars 8 are just meh to me. They are alright, not rushing to add them to my collection again.

The market is just overrun with sales of these and I can get them whenever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

As a collector, ASM 252, Thor 337, Secret Wars 8 are just meh to me. They are alright, not rushing to add them to my collection again.

The market is just overrun with sales of these and I can get them whenever.

Agreed ... now they are. And that's sort of my point that several years ago, there were far fewer in the open market. Now it's being flooded with them, even the CPVs ... as they're all coming out of the woodwork. So unless you've got a 9.8/9.9/10.0 ... I wouldn't really say they've got long term growth potential. But great books to read though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 6:33 AM, D2 said:

Apparently you should be putting 316 on your list too as that has been really rocketing. 

This can be yours for the easy price of just several thousand dollars. 
 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-316-CGC-SS-9-8-SIGNED-BY-TODD-THE-GOD-McFARLANE-VENOM-RARE/224228562377?hash=item34351055c9:g:44sAAOSwk-pfqcoi

 

It’s embarrassing enough that he wrote The God, but he should have written Todd The God, and made it rhyme. Instead he wrote Tord The God and it looks even more idiotic. 

 

4I8fK6g.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a big fan of the black suit and I’ll give my two cents on this topic . We are now in a generational collecting phase with these issues. I had them in the 80s during my young teens now decades later they are being scooped up as it ties to Venom which was evolution of the original concept ASM 252. I absolutely think this book continues to grow but not at this frenzied pace and I highly recommend 9.8 as it’s toughest to find . Thousands of these have been graded . The best grab although a very expensive one is 9.8 Canadian price variant and it will command a huge price tag as will ASM 238 Canadian . 
 

books like Marvel Team Up 141 and Secret Wars 8 are cool but I don’t put them on the same pedestal . That being said Venom is such a huge character today . I loved his appearances in Amazing Spiderman I’d grab 299,300,315,316,317. That covers his McFarlane era appearances all of those have room to grow in 9.8. Anything under that is very common . The ASM 300 is very difficult to find in 9.8 for a mass produced comic it’s will continue to grow and if you have the coin invest in high grade newsstands . I believe in these comics although from the modern era now in twenty years time these are talked about classic Marvel books. Take that to the bank 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 1:12 PM, valiantman said:

Any book which "got hot immediately" for comic shops almost certainly got scooped up (soon after) as newsstand editions, by the same people who normally used comic shops (both collectors and shop owners). As a result, those "immediately hot" newsstands survived in higher quantities and higher grades than the newsstand books which were just late copies of books still available at the comic shop. 

Yes, I assume that Spidey 252 must have been hot right when it came out because I remember talking to a old time comic book broker back in the day who had started out in the coin business.  He said that since they collected coins in rolls, that;s hwy he picked up 50 copies of Spidey 252 when it first came out.  (thumbsu

Sounded like that was his first stab at a MA speculative purchase as the book was first coming out and shall we say, he sounded none too happy with the results as they never really went up in value from his point of view and instead, pretty much fizzled out rather quickly.  doh!  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1