• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Pressing = big mistake!
2 2

77 posts in this topic

Got involved again in comics this past spring.  Didn't know much about pressing or pressing services so I sent two pristine books to CGC for pressing, even though they really didn't need it.  This was back in June.  Finally getting them back as 9.6's.  Very nice grades but utter BS.  These things were pristine.  I literally could not find a single flaw and after I sent them, realized they probably didn't even need to be pressed.  I thought pressing was something EVERYONE did before sending them in. Very frustrating.  Do we even know what the qualifications are of the people working there? 

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You could coin a new grade name, too. "Pristine".

I'm still not sure if a drive by poster yet, I'll give the benefit of the doubt. NO GRADERS NOTES DOES = :pullhair: 

but I've got 9.6's and thought they might have been 9.8 :tonofbricks:

but still :ohnoez: 

:wishluck: 200.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

27 minutes ago, Chamberlin said:

Got involved again in comics this past spring.  Didn't know much about pressing or pressing services so I sent two pristine books to CGC for pressing, even though they really didn't need it.  This was back in June.  Finally getting them back as 9.6's.  Very nice grades but utter BS.  These things were pristine.  I literally could not find a single flaw and after I sent them, realized they probably didn't even need to be pressed.  I thought pressing was something EVERYONE did before sending them in. Very frustrating.  Do we even know what the qualifications are of the people working there? 

A ton of people have been saying CGC is very tight right now so it does not take much to have them drop a book down to a 9.6.  But don't fret - 9.6 is the new 9.8!

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm still not sure if a drive by poster yet, I'll give the benefit of the doubt. NO GRADERS NOTES DOES = :pullhair: 

but I've got 9.6's and thought they might have been 9.8 :tonofbricks:

but still :ohnoez: 

:wishluck: 

A 9.6 on one day is a 9.8 on another day, and a 9.4 on another day.

This guy's really complaining about a negligible difference in opinion. CGC are the experts, after all. He's free to disagree with their opinion. He doesn't get to dictate it, though.

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

Definitely agree with this. lol

@Chamberlin, the grades will vary, they are opinions from a group of graders at that point in time.  It is unfortunate it did not line up with your expectations but that does happen.

I would say the fact that they were only 1 grade off from his analysis is pretty good. Many people get much more disheartening results.

For sure :) 

and moderns? bronze? Silver? what age?

there may be a different set of graders for different ages, certain books may have distributor defects that don't get counted, it's a whole thing (thumbsu 

Sorry for your loss, it happens.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would say the fact that they were only 1 grade off from his analysis is pretty good. Many people get much more disheartening results.

Without knowing how many or what age, it could have been 2 modern books he is mad about, it might be 50 golden.

With how much he says he spent in the Ask CGC thread, not sure why he didn't prescreen. (shrug)

7 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Without knowing how many or what age, it could have been 2 modern books he is mad about, it might be 50 golden.

With how much he says he spent in the Ask CGC thread, not sure why he didn't prescreen. (shrug)

Because he thought everyone presses. He didn't think that everyone pre-screens.

At the time I didn't even know what pre-screening was.  I don't usually collect modern stuff and this is probably why I won't going forward.  Never been thrilled with the price points of 9.8 books when they are disproportionally priced compared to 9.4's and 9.6's. I know, everyone says it 'my books were perfect" and I get it.  Just frustrating when you wait nearly 5 months for books, pay pressing fees for books that are already mint and then have to read for 4 months about what a mistake I made sending them to CGC pressing to begin with. 

Thanks for not taking it out on me too hard.

1 hour ago, Chamberlin said:

9.6s

200-10.gif

Hopefully the sarcasm was detected in my last statement. Remember this. The people who take the books off the press, pack them ect... plus the people at the LCS that handle the books are not as worried about the books being 9.8s as most of us are. Then take into account all the people paging thru these books and carelessly placing them back on the shelf. I'm surprised books even are able to become 9.8s anymore.