• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Pressing = big mistake!
2 2

77 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Chamberlin said:

Would it really be much to ask if they just included the damn grader notes for free? A freaking sentence that you can see online only would be sufficient.  They include it on some books.

Few things :foryou: when there ARE grader's notes, they are free if you have a paid membership, but lol

that might not sound too "free", but there is a membership tier for $150 that also gives you a total of $150 in cgc grading credit (doesn't include the shipping and handling)

so basically it is "free" if you're going to submit

and further, if you "auto-renew that membership the following year" and add a credit card to be charged, cgc gives $20 off, and you still get the $150 credit for $130

It may seem small, but it is something

Moderns can be tricky as a finger print for not getting 9.8, so I feel you, hopefully it doesn't discourage to much.......

10 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Hopefully the sarcasm was detected in my last statement. Remember this. The people who take the books off the press, pack them ect... plus the people at the LCS that handle the books are not as worried about the books being 9.8s as most of us are. Then take into account all the people paging thru these books and carelessly placing them back on the shelf. I'm surprised books even are able to become 9.8s anymore.

Yes.

1 hour ago, Chamberlin said:

Got involved again in comics this past spring.  Didn't know much about pressing or pressing services so I sent two pristine books to CGC for pressing, even though they really didn't need it.  This was back in June.  Finally getting them back as 9.6's.  Very nice grades but utter BS.  These things were pristine.  I literally could not find a single flaw and after I sent them, realized they probably didn't even need to be pressed.  I thought pressing was something EVERYONE did before sending them in. Very frustrating.  Do we even know what the qualifications are of the people working there? 

How long were you "uninvolved" in comics? If it has been since pre 2000, a LOT has changed. And, no disrespect, but it sounds like you just jumped right in assuming you knew a 9.8 from a 9.6. You believed pressing would guarantee the former and you sent off books you paid up for and that only 9.8 would give you a great return on (that or you are just a die hard 9.8 collector).

I have been collecting for the past 15 years. I have been familiar with CGC since I first learned about it back in 2005. I havbe bought countless grading guides and looked at images. I read stuff on these forums for several years before signing up because I felt (somewhat) knowledgeable enough to have a convo and hold my own with regards to grading and overall comic knowledge. And you know what? I STILL suck at determining 9.6 from 9.8.

Granted it is not so much a focal point for me but if I were someone jumping back in after a 5-10 year break from comics, I would make sure I get some second opinions on a book (and no, not a friend or two, I mean people like you have here who are more than happy to give ya a dose of reality). I would be willing to bet enough eyes would see some minor flaws on the books sent in (corners, spine ticks, interior issues....people tend to only grade the front and back but CGC actually opens the book). 

As for CGC presser and their abilities. They have been in the game for almost 20 years. No one has come close to dethroning them and unless they see a serious dip in quality, I cannot see it happening in the near future. If I am to trust my money in CGC, I feel 95% sure they will get it right with regards to properly handling and grading my book. The other 5% is the human error that NO company can avoid. 

So the questions becomes do you think both your books fall into the 96% or 5%? And if the latter, is it worth it to pay for them to take another look?

Would it really be much to ask if they just included the damn grader notes for free? A freaking sentence that you can see online only would be sufficient.  They include it on some books.

Can't remove a revenue stream now, c'mon man! This is  :flipbait: we're talking about here. On the other hand they could build the cost of grader's notes into the overall submission cost. Then it would be essentially invisible to the submitter and no one would gripe about having to "pay" for notes, even though they'd still be paying for them.

they do include the grader notes for free. 

There may have been no grader notes to be shared, which happens often with 9.6/9.8 moderns (Im assuming your books are moderns). More often than not 9.6s/9.8s dont have grader notes. Grader notes, remember are part of an internal process, and aren't all inclusive, because that would give away CGC's grading parameters, which they treat as proprietary. 

2 hours ago, Chamberlin said:

I thought pressing was something EVERYONE did before sending them in.

Too many noobs make the mistake of assuming everything needs to be pressed. This is one of the unfortunate effects of widespread pressing acceptance. Not enough people question the need.

7 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Too many noobs make the mistake of assuming everything needs to be pressed. This is one of the unfortunate effects of widespread pressing acceptance. Not enough people question the need.

Pressed and cleaned.  People are cleaning books that were printed yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Or think their books are pristine 9.8s+

For me though, I have everything pressed at least three times, rinsed and pressed once more.  And always, always use color-safe bleach.  I get high grades and the whitest pages.

3 minutes ago, telerites said:
13 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Or think their books are pristine 9.8s+

For me though, I have everything pressed at least three times, rinsed and pressed once more.  And always, always use color-safe bleach.  I get high grades and the whitest pages.

I once pressed a comic so many times, it became a single sheet of paper. Lesson learned

5 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
14 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Pressed and cleaned.  People are cleaning books that were printed yesterday. 

I know. It's insanity

8 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I once pressed a comic so many times, it became a single sheet of paper. Lesson learned

Similar, no doubt, to:

A convergence space is a set SS together with a relation \to from FS\mathcal{F}S to SS, where FS\mathcal{F}S is the set of filters on SS; if FxF \to x, we say that FF converges to xx or that xx is a limit of FF. This must satisfy some axioms:

1. Centred: The principal ultrafilter Fx={A|xA}F_x = \{ A \;|\; x \in A \} at xx converges to xx;
  2. Isotone: If FGF \subseteq G and FxF \to x, then GxG \to x;
  3. Directed: If FxF \to x and GxG \to x, then some filter contained in the intersection FGF \cap G converges to xx. In light of (2), it follows that FGxF \cap G \to x itself. (Strictly speaking, the relation should not be called directed unless also every point is a limit of some filter, but this follows from 1.)

It follows that FxF \to x if and only if FFxF \cap F_x does. Given that, the convergence relation is defined precisely by specifying, for each point xx, a filter of subfilter?s of the principal ultrafilter at xx. (But that is sort of a tongue twister.)

A filter FF clusters at a point xx, written FxF \rightsquigarrow x, if there exists a proper filter GG such that FGF \subseteq G and GxG \to x.

The definition can also be phrased in terms of nets; a net ν\nu converges to xx if and only if its eventuality filter converges to xx.

The morphisms of convergence spaces are the continuous functions; a function ff between convergence spaces is continuous if FxF \to x implies that f(F)f(x)f(F) \to f(x), where f(F)f(F) is the filter generated by the filterbase {f(A)|AF}\{f(A) \;|\; A \in F\}. In this way, convergence spaces form a concrete category ConvConv.

Note that the definition of ‘convergence’ varies in the literature; at the extreme end, one could define it as any relation whatsoever from FS\mathcal{F}S (or even from the class of all nets on SS) to SS, but that is so little structure as to be not very useful. An intermediate notion is that of filter space, in which (3) is not required. Here we follow the terminology of Lowen-Colebunders.

22 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

"You call this a press job?"

"Why certainly, sir!"

"But it's just a page"

"Yes sir."

"With all the colors blended together into a singular glop!"

"Yes..."

"But... there is no comic!  This page has no partners.  The staples have exploded out and across the room.  There is nothing to flip through, the images are un-discernible, the inks have mingled, there is nothing to read, to peruse, to wile-away-the-time.  This comic is no more.  It is defunct, absent, flown-the-coop, met its maker... it is an un-comic!  How can you possibly say this is a proper pressing job!?

"But sir... it's so flat!"

cheese-shop_dvd.original.jpg

3 hours ago, Chamberlin said:

Got involved again in comics this past spring.  Didn't know much about pressing or pressing services so I sent two pristine books to CGC for pressing, even though they really didn't need it.  This was back in June.  Finally getting them back as 9.6's.  Very nice grades but utter BS.  These things were pristine.  I literally could not find a single flaw and after I sent them, realized they probably didn't even need to be pressed.  I thought pressing was something EVERYONE did before sending them in. Very frustrating.  Do we even know what the qualifications are of the people working there? 

If you'd like a little more information about the folks currently grading comics at CGC, just open the "About CGC" menu and find the "Our Grading" section. Click "learn more" and it should display all the current graders, as well as one extremely competent consultant. And believe it or not, 9.6 is a very nice grade, but a 9.6 will usually have a couple of very minor flaws which keep the book from attaining a 9.8 or higher. I hope this helps, and have a nice day...   

46 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

If you'd like a little more information about the folks currently grading comics at CGC, just open the "About CGC" menu and find the "Our Grading" section. Click "learn more" and it should display all the current graders, as well as one extremely competent consultant.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-graders/