• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Pressing = big mistake!
2 2

77 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I used to think I had a very good grasp of what made a book a 9.8. My submission results would validate that I did indeed have a good grasp of it. Then I buy a CGC 9.8 book and when I get it there are literally more than 10 spine ticks. And some of the spine ticks are gargantuan. It messed with my thoughts on grading and once again I have no idea what a 9.8 book is. So I have a large pile of books I am thinking of sending in, and check them over and I would have rejected a lot of them based on my previous criteria. But since obtaining that ugly 9.8 I have become convinced gradng is completely random and every book I sent could be a 9.8.

It worked CGC! You made me submit more books than I would have. Enjoy my money.

If this Harley Quinn 1 is a 9.8 I own a TON of 9.8 books.

20201001_084221.jpg

20200919_111801.jpg

20200919_111728.jpg

20200919_111738.jpg

20200919_111745.jpg

20200919_111749.jpg

That’s not a 9.8!

Well I learned not to joke about unethical, being implied or inferred to someone else, but then i shouldn't use myself as the example. And for sure dont make it biblical, then want to take it back, even though its humor :ohnoez:

I've learned! :x

40 lashes for the sake of the game!

200-1.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

10 hours ago, piper said:
10 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I used to think I had a very good grasp of what made a book a 9.8. My submission results would validate that I did indeed have a good grasp of it. Then I buy a CGC 9.8 book and when I get it there are literally more than 10 spine ticks. And some of the spine ticks are gargantuan. It messed with my thoughts on grading and once again I have no idea what a 9.8 book is. So I have a large pile of books I am thinking of sending in, and check them over and I would have rejected a lot of them based on my previous criteria. But since obtaining that ugly 9.8 I have become convinced gradng is completely random and every book I sent could be a 9.8.

Spoiler

20201001_084221.jpg

20200919_111801.jpg

20200919_111728.jpg

20200919_111738.jpg

20200919_111745.jpg

20200919_111749.jpg

That’s not a 9.8!

Agreed. It's either a labeling error or the grader needs to be retrained. Definitely not a 9.8 

19 hours ago, telerites said:

Similar, no doubt, to:

A convergence space is a set SS together with a relation \to from FS\mathcal{F}S to SS, where FS\mathcal{F}S is the set of filters on SS; if FxF \to x, we say that FF converges to xx or that xx is a limit of FF. This must satisfy some axioms:

1. Centred: The principal ultrafilter Fx={A|xA}F_x = \{ A \;|\; x \in A \} at xx converges to xx;
  2. Isotone: If FGF \subseteq G and FxF \to x, then GxG \to x;
  3. Directed: If FxF \to x and GxG \to x, then some filter contained in the intersection FGF \cap G converges to xx. In light of (2), it follows that FGxF \cap G \to x itself. (Strictly speaking, the relation should not be called directed unless also every point is a limit of some filter, but this follows from 1.)

It follows that FxF \to x if and only if FFxF \cap F_x does. Given that, the convergence relation is defined precisely by specifying, for each point xx, a filter of subfilter?s of the principal ultrafilter at xx. (But that is sort of a tongue twister.)

A filter FF clusters at a point xx, written FxF \rightsquigarrow x, if there exists a proper filter GG such that FGF \subseteq G and GxG \to x.

The definition can also be phrased in terms of nets; a net ν\nu converges to xx if and only if its eventuality filter converges to xx.

The morphisms of convergence spaces are the continuous functions; a function ff between convergence spaces is continuous if FxF \to x implies that f(F)f(x)f(F) \to f(x), where f(F)f(F) is the filter generated by the filterbase {f(A)|AF}\{f(A) \;|\; A \in F\}. In this way, convergence spaces form a concrete category ConvConv.

Note that the definition of ‘convergence’ varies in the literature; at the extreme end, one could define it as any relation whatsoever from FS\mathcal{F}S (or even from the class of all nets on SS) to SS, but that is so little structure as to be not very useful. An intermediate notion is that of filter space, in which (3) is not required. Here we follow the terminology of Lowen-Colebunders.

You dumb #$%&, point 3 does NOT say that FGxF \cap G \to x ! It used to say that, but then you know who became involved. Pay attention, wiilya!:baiting:

19 hours ago, telerites said:

Similar, no doubt, to:

A convergence space is a set SS together with a relation \to from FS\mathcal{F}S to SS, where FS\mathcal{F}S is the set of filters on SS; if FxF \to x, we say that FF converges to xx or that xx is a limit of FF. This must satisfy some axioms:

1. Centred: The principal ultrafilter Fx={A|xA}F_x = \{ A \;|\; x \in A \} at xx converges to xx;
  2. Isotone: If FGF \subseteq G and FxF \to x, then GxG \to x;
  3. Directed: If FxF \to x and GxG \to x, then some filter contained in the intersection FGF \cap G converges to xx. In light of (2), it follows that FGxF \cap G \to x itself. (Strictly speaking, the relation should not be called directed unless also every point is a limit of some filter, but this follows from 1.)

It follows that FxF \to x if and only if FFxF \cap F_x does. Given that, the convergence relation is defined precisely by specifying, for each point xx, a filter of subfilter?s of the principal ultrafilter at xx. (But that is sort of a tongue twister.)

A filter FF clusters at a point xx, written FxF \rightsquigarrow x, if there exists a proper filter GG such that FGF \subseteq G and GxG \to x.

The definition can also be phrased in terms of nets; a net ν\nu converges to xx if and only if its eventuality filter converges to xx.

The morphisms of convergence spaces are the continuous functions; a function ff between convergence spaces is continuous if FxF \to x implies that f(F)f(x)f(F) \to f(x), where f(F)f(F) is the filter generated by the filterbase {f(A)|AF}\{f(A) \;|\; A \in F\}. In this way, convergence spaces form a concrete category ConvConv.

Note that the definition of ‘convergence’ varies in the literature; at the extreme end, one could define it as any relation whatsoever from FS\mathcal{F}S (or even from the class of all nets on SS) to SS, but that is so little structure as to be not very useful. An intermediate notion is that of filter space, in which (3) is not required. Here we follow the terminology of Lowen-Colebunders.

math equation.jpg

19 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

used to think I had a very good grasp of what made a book a 9.8. My submission results would validate that I did indeed have a good grasp of it. Then I buy a CGC 9.8 book and when I get it there are literally more than 10 spine ticks. And some of the spine ticks are gargantuan. It messed with my thoughts on grading and once again I have no idea what a 9.8 book is. So I have a large pile of books I am thinking of sending in, and check them over and I would have rejected a lot of them based on my previous criteria. But since obtaining that ugly 9.8 I have become convinced gradng is completely random and every book I sent could be a 9.8.

I wouldn't adjust your grading criteria based on this one book. CGC graders are only human, and there are times when they miss things just like anyone else. There's also the possibility that if there were multiple copies of the same book in the same invoice, a book could receive the wrong grade due to the grader getting the books in the invoice mixed up. 

In any event, I don't like 9.8 based on what I see with this particular copy...just my 2c.