• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Buscema Stolen Artwork

19 posts in this topic

Via Bill Cox on CAF

https://www.comicartfans.com/forums/comic_art_collecting/general_discussions/threads/8186

and

Joe Jusko has posted a few dozen images of the stolen pieces in his gallery on behalf of the Buscemas.

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=211252

Edited by Will_K
added Joe Jusko's CAF gallery showing images of the stolen art

19 minutes ago, Will_K said:

This is sad.  What the Buscema family is going through, of course, but also the potential damage/loss of the items.  Even if (and that's a big if) the thief does not damage/destroy them, they might never be seen again for years.  

31 minutes ago, Timely said:

The description says 45 pieces were stolen!:whatthe:

The odd part was, the original post said they can't post pictures of all 45 pieces.  Maybe they don't have pictures? do they at least have a description? otherwise you won't know what was stolen (unless there is something I am fundamentally misunderstanding)

Malvin

I’m hoping the Buscema family meant it wasn’t easy ( time constraints etc) to post all 45 pics.

It would be sad if some of the missing are not cataloged either by number, photo and or description. A few of the pics had a number (exp 38) with a pic of the page.

During open police investigations, they usually withhold information from the public.  This lets them follow up on leads without tipping off the perpetrator.

It doesn't matter if comic fans want more information about the crime.  The police are going to tell the family to keep quiet about the details.

The most important information to the general public are the pictures of the stolen art.

41 minutes ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

I'm not saying it's the case here, but for specialized stuff like this, often times the perpetrator is someone know to the victim. If I'm a run of the mill criminal, the last thing I'm going to take is a pile of comic art.

Agreed.  Too bulky, large and cumbersome to take - especially if it's just lying around which would require spending time gathering it up etc.  Even it's all in a portfolio or two - same thing.

Normal thief will look for cash, jewelry, and anything else small that can be removed easily and quickly - and won't arouse too much suspicion when fenced. 

8 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Agreed.  Too bulky, large and cumbersome to take - especially if it's just lying around which would require spending time gathering it up etc.  Even it's all in a portfolio or two - same thing.

Normal thief will look for cash, jewelry, and anything else small that can be removed easily and quickly - and won't arouse too much suspicion when fenced. 

Also, it's a niche hobby.  Only specialized people know it has value.  To everyone else, those roughs look like something from art school.