• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hake’s Auction. Why sell your books there?
2 2

11 posts in this topic

There’s better venues to sell comics that specialize in them. Hakes would be a great place to sell your rare toys or political memorabilia. They routinely set records in those fields.

If I was a dealer who dealt with a wide range of collectibles (from toys to memorabilia to comics) they are a good "one stop shop" to use to put stuff into auction. 

CLINK and HA have the more frequent auctions, but their quality (because of their frequency) is not always the highest (obviously HA's Signature auctions are an exception), Hakes seems to limit their auction's frequency. I think right now their next auction isn't until February, so that's a lot of time to collect good items for auction. 

18 hours ago, october said:

Their website is indeed a little clunky, but their printed catalogs are incredible. They put a ton of time into their research and descriptions, and it's pretty interesting to flip through and read about collectible areas that I know little about. 

That may be true, but their web site is among the very worst in the business.  Every time I hear about one of their auctions and look to see what they have, I am unimpressed with the inventory they've put up for sale and I have such a hard time navigating that I promise myself I'm never going back.

On 11/7/2020 at 1:56 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That may be true, but their web site is among the very worst in the business.  Every time I hear about one of their auctions and look to see what they have, I am unimpressed with the inventory they've put up for sale and I have such a hard time navigating that I promise myself I'm never going back.

Over the long haul, Hakes has had plenty of great items, including a Detective 27. While not the magnitude of Heritage, Connect, or ComicLink, it might pay off the review each new auction they offer which include not just comics but all types of hard to find, rare memorabilia. 

Edited by James J Johnson

Hake’s started off auctioning political and other pinbacks. First to do so. They moved into toys, advertising, sports and political items. They have been the very top of the field for “Americana” pieces. 

It wasn’t until Geppi bought them that they started auctioning comic books. The books at that time were all Geppi’s books. They now accept consignments from anyone. 

I don’t look to their auctions for comics but for the amazing array of other rare items they are known for. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 11/7/2020 at 4:56 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I dont know, Im still amazed that I cant limit by eras on ComicConnect. Instead I have to slowly go thru every page of of their auctions to find the Golden Age listings... 

I consigned some books to Hake's recently that had sat in my store for a while. I was pleased with the entire process to be honest. I felt the prices realized were good and two books got above GPA for the grade. I also got paid inside of a month from the end of the auction. Going forward I will definitely consider using them again if I go down the consignment route.