• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in -- PGM Daredevil 6
2 2

16 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

3.0 darn rust

thanks everyone @Funnybooks @Galen130 and others,  I really appreciate your grade feedback.  I do have a question about staple rust on a book for my understanding, if you or other boardies don't mind.   I did a blow up of the staple for this book (below) and I didn't really notice rusting on the top of the staple (maybe I can't see well enough).  I initially thought the darkness under the staple was "dirt".  Is what I thought was "dirt" really rust or residue?  

Please know, I am not questioning your/others expertise in grading.  I am  only trying to see if it might be the picture or if it is my lack of understanding of how rusting of a staple shows up on a book (likely the later but would like to make sure in case I see it again).  I appreciate your and anyones helping me understand better.  I really appreciate your help.   Thanks.

imageStaple.jpeg

A nice explanation from Mile High Comics regarding staples. Not the end all, but, a good starting point.

VG Range:

Staples: Lots of wear is allowed, but not any actual tearing. Staples must be attached both at the outside and the centerfold or the comic becomes a "Good." A minor bit of rust is allowed, but not if it stains the cover or interior pages.

G Range:

Staples: Cover and/or centerfold can be loose. Rust is allowed.

Fair:

Staples:The rust has migrated onto the Cover and/or page(s) in more than a minor way

53 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

A nice explanation from Mile High Comics regarding staples. Not the end all, but, a good starting point.

VG Range:

Staples: Lots of wear is allowed, but not any actual tearing. Staples must be attached both at the outside and the centerfold or the comic becomes a "Good." A minor bit of rust is allowed, but not if it stains the cover or interior pages.

G Range:

Staples: Cover and/or centerfold can be loose. Rust is allowed.

Fair:

Staples:The rust has migrated onto the Cover and/or page(s) in more than a minor way

Thanks so much.  I really appreciate the help.

Just going by the excellent picture you posted and not seeing the rest of the book I would go by the 2016 Overstreet grading guide : 6.5 would be the best grade I could go based on just that one staple,  "Slight to moderate rust migration allowed, even if the staple is rusted, that one doesn't look bad the staple tears also would put it into the same grade. Your question implies that you want to know how rusting works, Often when rusting first occurs it is only in very small dots that sort of crystallize, They fleck off easily but also easily discolor the paper almost like a little piece of chalk, rust first shows on the paper as rust migration and of course can get way worse, The same grade allows for the staple to be replaced with another from a book of the same time but I see no advantage in doing that, the tear and discoloration would not change.