• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics with Calvin & Hobbes covers
1 1

18 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Qalyar said:

The only one that immediately comes to mind is the C&H variant of Rose #17. I'll see if I can dig up anything else.

Thanks!  I've picked up a run of little known U.S. comics with officially sanctioned C&H covers and am wondering what others are out there.  

I do know about the unofficial Elementals cover, and I really appreciate you letting me know about this homage cover.

55 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Thanks!  I've picked up a run of little known U.S. comics with officially sanctioned C&H covers and am wondering what others are out there.  

I do know about the unofficial Elementals cover, and I really appreciate you letting me know about this homage cover.

I... am more than a little dubious that there exists a licensed C&H comic, because Watterson is widely believed to have permitted only a small, well-defined list of authentic merchandise. Specifically: the compilation books themselves, two calendars, and the "Teaching with Calvin and Hobbes" textbook (good luck on that one!). No comics. I'm interested to see photos, if you don't mind; I strongly suspect what you have is not what you think you have.

Also, what Elementals cover?

I suppose technically this discussion should include Spencer and Locke, which was inspired in part by C&H (but also by Sin City, so... it is definitely not a direct take on Watterson's work). Four issues each in two series, all with 2-3 covers.

11 hours ago, Qalyar said:

I... am more than a little dubious that there exists a licensed C&H comic, because Watterson is widely believed to have permitted only a small, well-defined list of authentic merchandise. Specifically: the compilation books themselves, two calendars, and the "Teaching with Calvin and Hobbes" textbook (good luck on that one!). No comics. I'm interested to see photos, if you don't mind; I strongly suspect what you have is not what you think you have.

Also, what Elementals cover?

I suspect your suspicion is off-base.  These are official US publications:

Connecticut Post Collectible Comics  Vol 1 No 11 - 20

Here's the Elementals cover:

ELEMENTALS V2 #7 - Comico, 1989 | eBay in 2020 | Comics, Comic books, Book  cover

P.S.  There are also foreign Calvin & Hobbes comics:

Swedish Calvin & Hobbes comics - Mixed Age Threads and Misc - CGC Comic  Book Collectors Chat Boards

Those look like local publications of syndicated cartoons, like many comics sections. I don't know what to make of the free designation on the cover, but I'm not entirely convinced they weren't just included with the Connecticut Post. Still cool, but probably not a "licensed comic release"

In Norway, they were published as "Tommy og Tigern" - color reprints of the strips, along with scattered other comic strips. 

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/tommy-og-tigern/4050-11140/?page=1

The one I have from 2007 is comic book sized. Even though it's only in mid-grade shape, I've thought about submitting it to CGC just because it's so odd. 

5 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Those look like local publications of syndicated cartoons, like many comics sections. I don't know what to make of the free designation on the cover, but I'm not entirely convinced they weren't just included with the Connecticut Post. Still cool, but probably not a "licensed comic release"

Yes, those are weekly publications of the Connecticut Post entitled Connecticut Post Collectible Comics.  They were authorized publications.  There was a time when such publications were being put out by a handful of U.S. and Canadian papers.   What makes these special is that they had covers, including C&H covers, that were not just comic strips.  Hence we get an official comic book publication with C&H covers.  I'd never seen them before or seen any discussion of them.  As you said, I think they are cool.  Very very cool, given the popularity of C&H.

They are in keeping with the tradition of newspaper strip reprint comic books such as Tip Top, Comic on Parade, Ace Comics, King Comics, etc. and comic book inserts into newspapers like Spirit Sections, etc.

Edited by sfcityduck

29 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. zzz

But here's an unauthorized (interior) cameo:

Nice oblique homage, but not really C&H like at all..  .I'd rather have a Watterson cover.

Edited by sfcityduck

Not covers but My list so far is pretty much the only thing I could find.

Thanks to those who have already commented I was able to add one. This is my current list:

Superman: The Man of Steel #56
Maxx #6
X-Factor 36
Adventures Of Superman #638
Power Pack #54 (Awesome picture)
Bug (1997 Marvel) #1
Adventures of Superman #452
Adventures of Superman #494

Superman/Batman #75

There is also one variant cover I'm not sure if it was fan made or not of I think X-force #1. There are a few references that people have listed in some books that I did not inclued since you are just looking for pictures. Let me know if I missed anything.