• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue vs Green label for signature on splash page?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi.  I have no opinion on desirability of blue vs green, just wondering whether the distinction is even relevant for this book.  I have a pink/red CBCS 8.5 "Verified Signature" that was signed in marker on the splash page.  I am submitting for cross-over regrade by CGC b/c it appears undergraded.  Let's assume the book is in fact at least an 8.5 universal if you disregard the unwitnessed signature. 

If the book had been signed on the cover, am I correct that CGC would either issue a green label 8.5 noting the signature OR (if you ask them to beforehand) issue a blue label at 8.5 (or below due to writing on cover, because I assume that writing on cover lowers grade more than writing on interior pages)?

BUT, in this case where the signature is on the splash page, am i correct that CGC would automatically grade the book for a blue label, presumably at least 8.5 (because the overall technical grade is not lowered due to a signature on an interior page, especially for books that are otherwise below 9.8)?   So there is no need to ask CGC for a blue label instead of green?  

Relatedly, if CGC gives a blue label, would the label note that [enter anyone's name here!] was written on the splash page, or would the label say nothing about the writing (except for whatever is said in the grader notes)?

Edited by Pantodude

35 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

That’s a good question. I’ve only seen qualified green labels with the notation of a name written on interior. Would like to know if blue labels exist too

Without going into too much detail: Yes, there are both green label books and blue label books with names written on the cover. Higher grade books would usually be Qualified and mid to lower grade books would usually just be given a reduction in grade and a blue label. 

In this case, a name written on the splash page would normally trigger a note on the label such as: "Jack Kirby written on 1st page in marker." The vast majority of the time, the book would still receive a blue label and not be significantly downgraded. 

I hope this helps...

6 hours ago, StumbleBum said:

I think you have that backwards. Books signed on the cover get a Green, books signed inside get a Blue. In 20 years I have never seen a book get a Green solely for an interior signature. Do you have a scan of one?

You might be right. Just books I’ve come across in my searches but don’t own any graded examples myself that aren’t verified

21 minutes ago, conan09279 said:

The less than famous "Brian" signed my ASM 3 and it got a blue label. 

No remark about the "Brian" on the label though.  Darn.  In that case, can I expect CGC to at least return the CBCS label to me?   That way I have something about the signature on the splash page?  

Edited by Pantodude

4 hours ago, Pantodude said:

No remark about the "Brian" on the label though.  Darn.  In that case, can I expect CGC to at least return the CBCS label to me?   That way I have something about the signature on the splash page?  

I’ve never heard of a competitors label getting returned to submitter.  

All of my books signed on the interior got blue labels. Sometimes they identify the sig on the label - sometimes they don't. 

Here's one where they say who signed it. The grader's notes say: "celebrity name bottom of page(s) 1". 

1621083135_ScreenShot2020-11-09at10_38_47PM.png.809c8e474827f4ee4d82156ca300a807.png

But here's one - same sig on a different book - but doesn't say who signed it. The grader's notes say: "Name written on 1st page in pen". 

134990095_ScreenShot2020-11-09at10_39_05PM.png.c08a93b49bac72a485c91854aa9ec977.png

I've been told whether or not the blue label identifies the sig depends on if the grader can easily identify whose signature it is, but I don't think CGC has ever officially said.