• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storage Bins
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I’m on the hunt to update some of my storage. Currently, my raws are in acid-free, cardboard short boxes and my slabs are stacked in the wardrobe... But, I need wardrobe space!

Searching online for options, I stumbled across plastic bins for raws and slabs. Allegedly sturdy, stackable and BCW claim “acid-free”. 

All sounds pretty good. But I was wondering if anyone had any experience with and/or opinion on this product line and whether they’re worth the splurge?

Edit. 
Example: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07YHTSDPZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_c_hp0PFbF2M0X8N

Edited by Arkham

Over ten years ao, I bought six Magazine sized  Drawerboxes from The Collection Drawer Company. They have been moved from NY to Las Veas, and then a second 500 mile trip to Arizona and they are as ood as on Day 1. 

Light years ahead of the knockoffs offered by BCW.  The magzine sized boxes are not a perfect fit for slabs but close enough for my purposes.  In NY, I used the optional anchor locks to make a solid brick of 12 boxes, but now have them stacked three high and three wide with no anchors. I can't recommend them highly enough.  They are $44 plus shipping for a four pack.  It looks like they no longer offer six packs.

www.CollectionDrawer.com

Edited by shadroch

19 hours ago, Arkham said:

Hey all,

I’m on the hunt to update some of my storage. Currently, my raws are in acid-free, cardboard short boxes and my slabs are stacked in the wardrobe... But, I need wardrobe space!

Searching online for options, I stumbled across plastic bins for raws and slabs. Allegedly sturdy, stackable and BCW claim “acid-free”. 

All sounds pretty good. But I was wondering if anyone had any experience with and/or opinion on this product line and whether they’re worth the splurge?

Edit. 
Example: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07YHTSDPZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_c_hp0PFbF2M0X8N

Are IKEA cabinets out of the question?

19 hours ago, Arkham said:

Hey all,

Edit. 

Expensive, but I like them.  Comics seem happy, nicely fit, dividers they supply are helpful. 

I too have slowly been switching over a lot of my books to these BCW plastic bins. I do like them. That said they are a little expensive,  but that cost can be reduced by ordering direct from BCW ( BCW Supplies) you can usually either sign up for emails and get 5% off or google discouny code and keep trying the ones you find until one works.  They also usually run specials where order say $80 and shipping is free as well as quantity discounts. ( ex. Order 1@$35 / 3@$30 ea / 5@$27 ) if you order in quantity enough for free shipping and use a code it helps to bring the cost each down to decent.  

The only issue I have had with these is one of my raw short boxes I kept the top lids open and had them stacked next to one another and as I went to lift it off, it broke one of the tabs/hinge that holds the lid on, which it still is ok to use. The other is when putting them together they can be a little tight getting the bottoms on. Still all in all I do like these and the have worked well for me. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

20 minutes ago, shadroch said:

How high can you stack these, and if you need something from the bottom one, do you need to move the ones on top? With drawboxes, you can access the bottom box without moving the ones on top

Searching the website now, are drawers strong enough for heavy slabs that fill the box above it?

On 11/8/2020 at 1:13 AM, Arkham said:

Hey all,

Edit. 

Greetings,

I own a couple of the BCW comic bins and have positive and negative feedback. Positives, they are extremely sturdy, easy to put together and aesthetically appealing. I only have a couple so do not know how high they stack, but another positive, is they 'locked' together when you stack them. Negative, as they are so sturdy, when you fill them with slabs, damn they're heavy - so if you have a lot of slabs that you like looking through them, moving the comic bins may be an issue.

Overall, I like them, and as I do not own that many slabs, they are perfect for me.

Hope that helps.

11 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I too have slowly been switching over a lot of my books to these BCW plastic bins. I do like them. That said they are a little expensive,  but that cost can be reduced by ordering direct from BCW ( BCW Supplies) you can usually either sign up for emails and get 5% off or google discouny code and keep trying the ones you find until one works.  They also usually run specials where order say $80 and shipping is free as well as quantity discounts. ( ex. Order 1@$35 / 3@$30 ea / 5@$27 ) if you order in quantity enough for free shipping and use a code it helps to bring the cost each down to decent.  

The only issue I have had with these is one of my raw short boxes I kept the top lids open and had them stacked next to one another and as I went to lift it off, it broke one of the tabs/hinge that holds the lid on, which it still is ok to use. The other is when putting them together they can be a little tight getting the bottoms on. Still all in all I do like these and the have worked well for me. 

This is great feedback. Thanks mate. I’ll check out the direct prices and see if there are any local stockists near me in Australia that might help coin-wise. 

I have a single magazine-sized slab in my collection (TMNT) and so I might need to find a different storage solution for that bad boy, but I’m hopeful I can make it work one way or another. 

16 hours ago, shadroch said:

Over ten years ao, I bought six Magazine sized  Drawerboxes from The Collection Drawer Company. They have been moved from NY to Las Veas, and then a second 500 mile trip to Arizona and they are as ood as on Day 1. 

Light years ahead of the knockoffs offered by BCW.  The magzine sized boxes are not a perfect fit for slabs but close enough for my purposes.  In NY, I used the optional anchor locks to make a solid brick of 12 boxes, but now have them stacked three high and three wide with no anchors. I can't recommend them highly enough.  They are $44 plus shipping for a four pack.  It looks like they no longer offer six packs.

www.CollectionDrawer.com

Thanks shadroch. I hadn’t seen these before and I do like that idea of sliding out a drawer to rifle its contents. 

When you say “the magazine sized boxes are not a perfect fit for slabs but close enough for your purposes” what do you mean?  Do you have to put your slabs in sideways or angled or similar?

14 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Are IKEA cabinets out of the question?

Yeah - sadly. I drool over some of the setups in the comic rooms showcase thread. I used to have my own room but now it’s all about the kids. Until I have room again, I’ll be trying to stack boxes in as small a space as possible.  

2 hours ago, Waylander said:

Greetings,

I own a couple of the BCW comic bins and have positive and negative feedback. Positives, they are extremely sturdy, easy to put together and aesthetically appealing. I only have a couple so do not know how high they stack, but another positive, is they 'locked' together when you stack them. Negative, as they are so sturdy, when you fill them with slabs, damn they're heavy - so if you have a lot of slabs that you like looking through them, moving the comic bins may be an issue.

Overall, I like them, and as I do not own that many slabs, they are perfect for me.

Hope that helps.

Hey Waylander. That does help a lot - thanks very much. 

12 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

They also usually run specials where order say $80 and shipping is free as well as quantity discounts.

Just went to their site... the bins were cheaper (about $47 AUD)... but the cheapest shipping of a single bin to Queensland Australia was over $165 AUD - making it over $200 AUD to get one bin sent to my door.  Unless my nearest LCS can hook me up with a better deal, I might pay a little more for the Bins but take advantage of free shipping from Amazon Prime and get two delivered for $134 AUD.  Sitting here with sticker shock right now!! O.o

10 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Searching the website now, are drawers strong enough for heavy slabs that fill the box above it?

Yes, the boxes hold up well with full boxes above them. I originally had them four boxes high, but with more room I now top them off at three. My comic boxes are six high, but I put a sheet of plywood on top of the fourth level to spread the weight better

When I say they aren't a perfect fit, its because there is extra room on the sides as the boxes are meant for magazines, not slabs

They are the greatest invention since sliced beer!

4 hours ago, Arkham said:

Just went to their site... the bins were cheaper (about $47 AUD)... but the cheapest shipping of a single bin to Queensland Australia was over $165 AUD - making it over $200 AUD to get one bin sent to my door.  Unless my nearest LCS can hook me up with a better deal, I might pay a little more for the Bins but take advantage of free shipping from Amazon Prime and get two delivered for $134 AUD.  Sitting here with sticker shock right now!! O.o

Wow.. I double checked their website as well and they raised the minimum for free shipping from what used to be $80 to now $200 . I would have sticker shock as well.. I take it that means their offer of orders of $200 free shipping does not apply to international shipping.. yeah that is crazy..

I have the BCW boxes and love them.. they stack pretty high currently mine are are 5 tall and no issues so far I have a mixture of Graded and Raw sizes. but as someone mentioned they do get a bit heavy moving the filled slabbed boxes but not much more heavier than a regular cardboard one. But I don't ever have the worry of the carboard boxes folding in and crushing books or falling apart/ bending when shuffling them around or moving them. 

I love the BCW plastic boxes for graded books. A bit of a pain to assemble but incredible sturdy and stackable. I have mine stacked 3 high so far. There is a little wobble, but thats probably since they are on carpet or maybe since they are in California.